Mike Tyson could be charged "assault with a deadly weapon" for an assault at LAX

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by leomac08, Nov 12, 2009.

1. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

According to TMZ.com, Former World Heavyweight Boxing Champion Mike Tyson could face some serious charges for fighting with a paparazzi at the Los Angeles International Airport on 11/11/09.

According to some reports on TMZ.com, Mike Tyson's punch to that paparazzi is considered to be an assault with a deadly weapon!, since Tyson has a powerful KO punch....it's considered to be a deadly weapon to the LAPD.:eek:

In my opinion, that kind of sucks!:eek:

Imagine you were a Former Heavyweight Boxer, and punch somebody, and police could charge you with "assault with a deadly weapon" for having a powerful KO punch!:p:D

2. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

Tyson was just recently in tears on the Oprah show regretting his violence. I guess those tears didn’t mean anything.

3. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

I saw it too;)

it's just sad.....watching this people......... :confused:

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

The paparazzi need to be stopped. They are so out of control. Any of them wanting to take pics of Tyson now should bring a zoom lens!;)

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Maricopa County attorney is already looking at yanking his probation for all the earlier stupidity.

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The paparazzo got up and walk away after the little jab Iron Mike gave him. He had it coming anyways. Witnesses said he was very close before getting decked. So Iron Mike didn't chase the sack of *beep* from across the terminal to open a can of whoop-@$$. I think Mike was in the right here.

7. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I also read where he pushed the baby carriage of Mike's son. That Tyson was just acting in defense, as anybody else would if you had a baby that someone was putting in danger.

Maybe some of the paparazzi should start getting hit with Stalking Charges.

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

That's actually not surprising. People with hand-to-hand combat training are held to a different standard when it comes to physical violence. I know military special forces members' hands and feet are generally considered "lethal weapons" by the courts. I don't see why a boxer with the kind of punch Tyson has wouldn't be held to the same standard.

9. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

The man can crack a skull if he wants to. I think "lethal weapon" is a pretty accurate description.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Exactly...... I feel for both in this case. The paparazzi have a job and the celebs are the job....... :)

11. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Good... put him to work for Sheriff Joe there, supervising the pink-underwear distributions.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

....and usually the celebs (or their managers) call the paps in advance to tell them where they'll be so that their picture will be taken.

The celebs need the paps, and the paps need the celebs.

13. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

We've made it this far without a Chuck Norris reference?

Amazing...!

14. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

What about chuck norris?!:p;) and delta force 2.....when he grabbed that guy and .....

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Most of these paparazzi deserve to get punched in the face by Mike Tyson as far as I'm concerned. Not sorry for them at all.

On the other hand, Mike Tyson has always come across as breathtakingly stupid...we overuse the term "stupid" in general conversation but in this case it's appropriate. He just is simply a very unintelligent man.

16. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

The "lethal weapon" in court is a very common myth/urban legend perpetuated by TV/films and a gullible public. No such law or precedence exists.

A lawyer might argue that a person knew what he exactly was doing when he inflicted some serious bodily injury on another person, but that's up to jury to decide.

Anyway, the lesson here is don't get your legal info from TMZ.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I'm sorry, but it really depends on the circumstances. He may have meant what he said, but papparazzi aren't well-known for knowing where to draw the line. Yes, they have a job to do, but they can't just do whatever they want. Just take the photos and go away. Any more in-your-face then that, and I can't blame a celeb.

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think it is highly dramatized, yes, I don't think writing it off as just a myth is strictly true either. When I earned my first dan in taekwondo I was warned by my instructor that having this means a much greater responsibility and the possibility of much heavier assault charges (such as an assault with a deadly weapons charge) should I ever get into a fight. I don't know from experience if that's true or not but I trust his word on this. He never said things just for the hell of it.

Tyson is a fool to punch someone but a small part of me can sympathize. Paparazzi are so frickin out of hand and will purposely instigate trouble purely FOR the reaction and subsequent photo. They're scum and although I don't condone assaulting them for it, I can still understand the urge.

19. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

If

If there were swarms of guys following me around flashing their cameras at me whenever I went outside, I would probably punch one too.

Celebrities suck, but 'razzi sucks more, and contributes largely to the celebrities sucking so much.

Just think: Without paparazzi, where would all the 15-25 y/o girls be? No ******** magazines to live vicariously through anymore? GOD FORBID!!!
    I can hear the meltdown now: "OhMY GOD WHAT DID KATE WEAR TO HER TRIAL?"
    "WHAT DO THE "REAL" HOUSEWIVES DO ON THE WEEKENDS???"

I can not stand those magazines and how they have largely sullied or entertainment business.

I long for a day when nobody cares about Brad Pitts twitter updates, or any of the other trash 10+ national magazines perpetuate.

So after this rant I have a new position on the matter. ALL paparazzi could do with a good face-punch from Mike T.:eek:

20. Surely Guest

Surely

Harvey Levin is a lawyer.

I think the paparazzi are more out of control in the UK than they are here in the US. I can understand your feelings toward them.

As I said before, the paparazzi need the celebrities, and the celebrities need the paparazzi. It's a symbiotic relationship. Things are really not as they seem. The celebs publicly complain about how annoying the paps are, but it fact, most of the time it is the celebs (or their publicists/agents/etc) who call the paps to tell them where they'll be and when. And then, when the paps start shooting photos, they act all annoyed that their privacy is being violated.

For example, do you think that Jennifer Aniston didn't know that there was going to be a ton of paps at The Ivy when she went there for lunch last year? They practically live outside of that restaurant. When celebs want their pictures taken, they go there for lunch. Why is she acting all shy and not smiling? Because it's an act. She had a movie or something coming out, and wanted some free publicity.

There are a ton of places to go for lunch, dinner, shopping, etc. in Los Angeles. The celebs that go to Robertson to shop, or to anywhere in Beverly Hills for a meal want their photo taken.

The celebs that live in the Valley or that don't go to popular restaurants (eg Mr. Chow) or clubs (Hyde) on the weekend are the ones that don't have their photos taken by the paps.

All news, whether positive or negative, is good news, because it helps the celebrity to remind the public that the celebrity still exists.

I'm not saying that every single pap/celeb interaction is a set-up, but, at least here in Los Angeles, more of them are than you think. Obviously, the Tyson at LAX incident was most likely the real deal.

Also, I'm not trying to defend paparazzi either. I'm just saying that some of the blame for the ridiculous tabloid industry falls on the celebrities as well. It's not accurate to think that the paparazzi are merely parasites in this.

As an aside.... I was once shopping on Robertson, and there was a huge crowd of paps outside of a store called Kitson trying to take photos. I asked one of them who they were shooting..... and he told me he didn't know- he just didn't want to miss the shot and let one of the other 20 guys get it. I thought that was kind of funny. What if they were all wrong, and no one was in there? It turns out it was Hilary Duff *yawn*