Miley Cyrus iPhone hacked. Can ours?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LucasLand, Jul 15, 2008.

1. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

Fox news is reporting that new images of mily cyrus were hacked and stolen off of her cell phone. The hacker is shopping the pics to news sites. In one of the pics, miley is taking a pic of herself in a bathroom mirror. the article doesn't go out of their way to say what kind of phone she uses, but You can clearly see she is using an iphone.

How can a hacker access the photos on our iphones? What can we do to prevent this?

Hacker also claimed to have read her emails.

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Doesnt say her phone was hacked. Just that she sent some images and then the hacking occurred. The guys computer receiving the photos could of been hacked.

3. steveapp macrumors member

Its a Publicity Stunt

Im sure its almost impossible unless someone has hold of your phone, for them to get access. Not completely impossible but I remember the Paris Hilton photos off her sidekick, and im fairly certain that was because it uploaded everything on her phone to a server for some reason.

If its just on your phone its probably safe, just dont go pairing with strange computers and phones ;-)

4. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Her iPhone wasn't hacked, her email account was. She must have sent someone those pictures--and the hacker got into her email account, went into the Sent folder, and pulled them out. Either that or its a publicity stunt--you never know. It likely was 'hacked' by someone who guessed her secret question correctly, like in the case below.

To the poster above, the Paris Hilton Sidekick hack was different. Sidekicks constantly sync data between the phone and servers--all the data is actually on a server, not the phone. You can access that using a home computer at the T-Mobile website. The 'hacker' got her cell number and guessed the answer to her secret question (what's the name of my dog?) correctly.

Steve

5. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

6. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Since iPhone's Bluetooth stack is so crap, I'd guess this was a manual "hack" rather than using Bluetooth though:D or maybe WiFi leaves iPhone open (doubt it, or we'd have heard a lot about that by now:D)

7. TedB macrumors member

Is this being reported by a real news network? Fox has a bad record of getting their facts wrong. Who determined that the cellphone was hacked and not the email account? Bill O' Reilly and Miley Cyrus? haha

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

The majority of sites (esp. IT ones) are reporting it as her email account was hacked - and I believe that the hacker has stated this himself.

9. Igantius macrumors 65816

And why do you think we would be interested in photos of a 15-year old posing this way?

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Demographics of this forum. Reality check.

There's no harm to this story being posted.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

YOU seemed to be interested, considering you stopped reading at this point.

Had you continued, you would've realized the thread was about the OP being worried about the phone's security, and not so much about the pics themselves. Which at this point there doesn't seem to be anything to worry about.

12. Igantius macrumors 65816

It wasn't so much the story, more that foofan concluded his post with a helpful link to the pictures... which I see has now been removed.

I did report his post - and when I did, I said, although the story/security risk is of obvious interest to many (no complaints there), I didn't feel a link to pictures of 15-year old children posing was... possibly it's just me being old-fashioned, but they seem irrelevant in the context of what was being discussed.

13. Igantius macrumors 65816

Erm, you do realise that the link was at the bottom of his post, yes I finished reading his post at this point because that was the end of it.

This story did the rounds on the IT sites last night, so I was already aware of the story and that's why I did post:

As I believe that was what the OP was posting about - i.e. a possible security risk to the iPhone, which doesn't seem to exist – but cheers for pointing that there’s nothing to worry about.

However, when I re-read Foofan's post I thought that a link to these pictures were irrelevant to what was being discussed - hence why I raised it.

14. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

WinterMute, don't forget to take out the link to her pic on the foxnews site too.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So, this story is false and your iPhone can't be hacked.

16. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

so her email account got hacked? oh well that makes me feel better. puhleease.

Was it a .mac, i mean, mobileme account? if so, i have one too.

What's next, idisk?

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

^ foofan, e-mail accounts and computers/servers get hacked. Fact of life. Move along...

18. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

No need for the sarcasm, your post was reported as inappropriate, it got edited.

The thread stands because it's a valid topic, the pics are simple celebrity sensationalism.

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The link was removed. But the discussion is fair game and to be expected, that's all I was pointing out. Besides, I have no personal sympathy with the machinations of the Miley Cyrus publicity machine; they want their cake and to eat it too, as her parents flog her around the media and then whine when people complain.

20. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

no one cares about the miley cyrus part. its the "iPhone possibly being hacked" part, which i for one dont believe

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes, thanks. Let's keep the thread on topic. :)

22. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

with all these new apps. any chance someone could create a bogus app to wreak havoc to people who download them? maybe even fool apple

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I wouldn't worry about that but I did d/l a new Microsoft app and this is a screenshot of what I got.