Military taking down Obama portraits

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 24, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

2. chown33 macrumors 604

Upper: He is the very image of a modern major general.

Lower: Is that the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch?

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The U.S. military is quite pleased to have a Commander in Chief who respects them and who isn't disturbed by overt displays of patriotism.

4. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

Then again it's the military - you know, the guys who made violence their profession, not civilized people.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Boo. Downvote. They didn't make violence their profession. They made protecting you and americas interests their profession.

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

Let's just hope you never need them then... This has to be the dumbest thing I have da on the internet today.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's a pretty broad brush...

Anyway I thought you wanted the US military out of the Middle East?

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I don't know who information liberation.com is - but that's pretty hilarious - if false (which it should be). If true, also hilarious - but darker. Should I just move to Paraguay?

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Edit this before you get in trouble.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

To which I'd say: Cite your source.

The US military, like the nation that it protects, is comprised of people with a very wide range of political and social viewpoints. I'm quite certain that it has its share of racist imbeciles within its ranks. But on the other hand, I'd suggest that, at an organizational level, the United States military has an institutional aversion to committing war crimes.

Much to its credit, the US military is organizationally opposed to torture. To plunder. To the wanton killing of non-combatants. It has a highly developed system of military justice. Of respect for the rules of war. Every person within the US military receives extensive training in this regard.

Our current President has suggested gross violations of these rules. He has suggested re-instituting torture. He has suggested the extrajudicial murder of noncombatants. He has advocated the plunder of other nation's resources. These are, as every service person knows full well, war crimes. And, as every service person knows, they are not in any way obligated to follow an order that they know to be illegal one.

I do not believe that, individually, or at an organizational level, the US military is comprised of people amenable to committing acts contrary to their values.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe our barracks and bases are filled with people chomping at the bit to start torturing POWs. Maybe our military is, in fact, filled with people anxious to start murdering noncombatants.

But I don't think so. The current Secretary of Defense, James Mattis, expressly contradicted Donald Trump on the matter of torture and plunder, and extrajudicial murder. I can't pretend to know that General Mattis represents the viewpoints of every serving soldier, airman, sailor, and marine.

If any service person is gladdened by our new President: Fine. You are entitled to your opinion. And military justice and convention inherently demands loyalty to the military and civilian chain of command.

But understand this, very clearly: As servicemen and women, you have the respect and support of the US people. In part because of your service and sacrifice. But that support is not unconditional. Live up to your values, and we will support you to the end. But start committing war crimes, and we will hold you accountable.

No torture. No plunder. No murder. That is the standard. So think very carefully about which orders you decide to obey.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Ahah that is funny
    --- Post Merged, Jan 25, 2017 ---
    I don't think that this thread was meant to be taken seriously
    Villicondelirante is left wing, from Italy. They don't really admire the military there.

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I would love to see Obama and his civilized efforts on the front line for one day playing by his rules of engagement. That fool would be terrified and no doubt would have rescinded those orders. Trump will do that soon enough.
    [​IMG]

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You will count to three, not 2 nor 5, but three, and the number they will count to shall be three and only three.....

15. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Possibly the worst post on MR today.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I thought you were against obamas drones and interventions?

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

You want to know what's sad about this?

Military service is about sacrifice. We ask our servicepeople to lay down their lives for their comrades, for their unit, for their country. And apparently some of them are doing this on the orders of a man who is unwilling to bear the burden of selling a couple of hotels or releasing his tax forms.

You can say what you like about Caesar, or Ghengis Khan, about Napoleon or Hitler. But at least they were prepared to fight alongside their men. Donald Trump manages to sneer at men like John Kerry and John McCain. Men who stared death in the face in Vietnam, while Donald J. Trump was busy dodging the clap in New York discos.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

The day is your by my family friend.

P.S. Still hate your avatar.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I love yours ;)

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Thanks buddy. I pray for this every day. :p

21. villicodelirant, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017

villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

You might have noticed I'm not American.
    All the same, I didn't ask my interests to be protected with violence, thank you very much.

Oh, nobody needs them.
    Peace, that is needed.

Are you kidding, they do.
    I don't know how long you've been missing, but since the late '90s approval for the armed forces (and police forces) has skyrocketed.
    Nothing like the worship that Americans have for their troops, but still.

On the other hand, I can't admire anybody who takes up a profession that boils down to "shooting at other people who happen to have a different, equally meaningless flag sewn on their uniform and/or civilians".
    Much less take their viewpoints seriously.
    Thank you very much.

22. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

You really have no idea. Sometimes the only way to obtain peace is through war. If another country attacked yours tomorrow, would you plead peace and let them kill you willingly? I know I wouldn't. I'd fight for my right to live and by doing so, my ability to live in peace when they're gone.

23. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I'm sure you're not a terrible person, but that is a terrible thing to say

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us." [Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797]

24. Scepticalscribe, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yet one who respects them so much, and is so patriotic, and respects displays of patriotism so much, that, despite his military education in a military college, he chose to defer serving in Vietnam on - what has been reported to have been - five separate occasions? A dodgy ankle, or something?

Seriously, I have far more "respect" on such matters for Senator McCain (and the much maligned but much decorated) Secretary Kerry, - both of whom served with distinction and valour - than I have for that complete charlatan.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Viewpoints? It's not a matter of viewpoints. Without a standing army you are at the mercy of the vilest.
    And without a standing army, there is no diplomacy.