Milk in a bag

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mushrooshi, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

US: Milk is usually in rigid plastic containers, or waxed cardboard.

Canada: Often sould in 3 to 4 litre bags.

Topic: Which is better? Bagged, Boxed, Bottles, or Other?

It is a simple topic, but it can lead to innovations.

It is also a forum of differences between the US and its northern neighbor, Canada and its southern neighbor.

2. I3eXa macrumors 6502

first time I had milk in a bag was in china, and boy did it seem weird. Almost like drinking a capri sun. Health wise, I'd assume the bag is better than the wax in a cardboard half-gallon. Money wise, it might be cheaper to produce the bag than the plastic milk 'jug' gallon....just my $0.02

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I get soy milk in wax cardboard cartons in Australia. The cartons are recyclable but I must admit I've not given it much to the environmental impact of the raw materials or their initial manufacture.

4. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I grew up in, and live in Eastern PA. Growing up, that part of PA was all pretty much rural/farmland. I recall going to a place called "the milk house" with my parents and getting milk in clear plastic bags (maybe 2 qaurts each).

Anyway, Id say that from an environmental aspect the cardboard is better (maybe more recyclable?)?

5. macgruder macrumors 6502

Is sould to sold what neighbour is to neighbor :D

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Actually, it's three 1.333 litre bags, in a 4 litre "sack". ;)

And everyone using same has a hard plastic "pitcher" designed to hold one 1.333 litre bag.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We had bagged milk briefly in the cafeteria at my school.

Does the bagged milk in Canada need to be refrigerated before opening, or can it be stored at room temperature? (Boxed) milk stored at room temperature seems like the best option to me (although I'm not sure of the environmental impact of this pasteurization process) as it reduces the environmental impact of presale refrigeration.

I'm not sure that the cardboard containers can actually be recycled -- they contain a fair amount of plastic, don't they? The milk jugs get recycled, although there's an underdemand for the recycled product, AFAIK.

Right now, though, I generally buy soymilk. I tried it in the past to try to go vegan, but right now I'm just using it to balance soy protein sources with (milk-derived) cheese.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, you buy and store it refrigerated. It's not "irradiated", that I know of. :eek:

There is a plastic tab on the outer sack to indicate the best-before date.

BTW, one place I hang out at while waiting does have the irradiated boxed milk for coffee. Lasts almost forever unopened, but when opened we have to refrigerate it.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've used it several times. In the United States, it's almost universally available in grocery stores, although always with a refrigerated milk section also. It is usually somewhat more expensive, though. Again, I'm not sure if that increased expense correlates to an economy of scale issue or to increased environmental impact of the production process.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I believe they are also charging for the convenience factor, to some extent, but I also have no data on that subject.

11. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

the cafeteria at my college had bagged milk they put into the milk dispenser. so yeah, it's used in commercial business in south florida. but it tasted kinda off...

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, now you are getting into the commercial-grade of milk bag.

The really large ones have a tube, that fits into the dispenser's "valve" arrangement, and the smaller ones have a built-in valve.

13. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

We have some ultra-pasteurized, boxed milk that we keep for emergency use. We live in a very secluded area, in the Cascade Mountain foothills of WA State. There have been times when it is virtually impossible to get off the mountain (Tiger) and into town. So, it is necessary to be self-sustaining for an unknown period of time. I tried the boxed milk before investing in a quantity of it. It is OK, although I would not seek it out for normal use. It is certainly better than trying to drink condensed, or dry milk :eek:. As others have said, it is more expensive.

14. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

I like glass bottles. They don't make the milk taste funny and they can be reused.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Mexico called and said it uses milk bags like its far northern friend.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, where do you get those? I haven't seen one since I was about 7 or so, 30+ years ago.

17. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

You can still get them in places like Milk Barn, which acts as a coop outlet for producers. Most areas have them, although they may be rare in large East Coast metropolitan areas. Also, believe it or not, they still have milkmen in many places and glass containers are often optional. Sometimes there is a small deposit for the bottle.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I too prefer glass, or at least what's in them (seems to be better quality, and less hormones in the stuff I get) but my Mom's school has the bagged stuff. Guess it's cheaper. Makes a bit of a mess sometimes though. We used to have the tiny cartons. I liked those.

19. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I don't drink milk. If you think about it, most (if not all) non-infant mammals also do not drink milk.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

They also don't cook their food or use in door plumbing but that doesn't mean I'm gonna start eating raw meat and craping on the sidewalk.:D

Lethal

21. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Here in Colorado (where I see you are also from), most people I know still get their milk from the local dairy. It's good milk and always tastes better than from the grocery store. I remember it coming in glass bottles when I was little (10-15 years ago), but other than that, it comes in these plastic bottles, which are then rinsed and returned:

[​IMG]

22. balofagus macrumors regular

We drink our milk out of the 1.33 L bags. I work at a convenience store and we sell milk in all types of containers (plastic jugs, bags, and cartons). I can't make myself drink white milk from a carton... I just think its weird. Chocolate milk on the other hand is fine out of a carton. It's obvious that its just me that's weird :p.

23. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Growing up we always had milk delivered in a bottle, but now it's mainly in plastic bottles from the supermarket

Attached Files:

24. tringo macrumors regular

Aw, those were the days.....Kinda makes me think of those cartoons where you see the big stalk birds deliver babies to people's doorsteps. Every morning you're just like "WOW, how great is this!"

25. sreedy macrumors 6502a

I still get mine delivered to the door every morning in a glass bottle, by Dairy Crest