iPad mini Millenicom - 16gb iPad mini cellular $199, 16gb mini retina $399

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kisey, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Kisey macrumors 6502a

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Never heard of them before, however it looks like they've been around for a while. Whois.net domain info goes back to 1998 (as opposed to a domain that was just created), and there's a forum about them on dslreports. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/millenicom

Again, I've never heard of them, but hopefully the above info is helpful.

3. Leney macrumors member

Reading the language of the deal, I don't know if canceling service before March 1, 2014 is actually an option. It's not explicitly mentioned. And then after March 1, 2014, the lowest cost option is $10/month.

From their FAQ:

What happens to my iPad Mini account on March 1st, 2014?
    You will automatically be subscribed to the $59.99 6.5GB, unlimited non-LTE service plan with unlimited International service in over 100 countries worldwide. You can change to the 500MB service plan for $19.99 per month. For customers using other service plans with Millenicom you can chose the 500MB LTE with unlimited international service for $10.00 per month.

So my feeling is that since there's no contract up until March 1, there's nothing to cancel. Then you're stuck with a minimum $10/month plan. That may be something that's still attractive though.

4. Kisey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I spoke to a rep who confirmed you can cancel the service once the free data expires. They cannot force you on a monthly plan since you are not signing a contract. I guess I won't find out until March 1st if I or anyone else here pulls the trigger.

5. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I also contacted them, and they confirmed there is no contract. Said they only have about 90 left! I purchased one for the great price with my American Express, so should be protected with a 90 day return guarantee from Amex.

6. Leney macrumors member

I just read some posts on Slickdeals about this, and saw that other people also spoke to reps that confirmed ability to cancel service.

I do, however, think it might have been legally permissible to get you into a plan later though although there's no contract initially. It says no contract until March 1, 2014. It'd be a contract with a delayed start, which again, might have been permissible. But I guess that's not happening in this instance. Although, I think the lack of explicit language is still troubling.

7. Kisey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, this time I spoke to someone via chat just so I have it in "writing". Here is the transcription:

15:21:22 Visitor: I have a question regarding the iPad mini retina
    15:22:58 Visitor: What happens after the free data promo expires? Will I be forced to pay a month fee for a data plan? Can I just use wi-fi only on the device?
    15:24:16 Samuel: On March 1, 2014 you will automatically be enrolled in a plan that will continue the data the way you had been using it for 59.99 a month. There will also be a plan avail for 19.99 a month that will provide you with 500 mb of LTE data a month.
    15:24:38 Visitor: What if I don't want any data at all?
    15:25:00 Visitor: Is a data plan required to keep the device?
    15:25:06 Samuel: We offer this as a no contract service so you can cancel your service at any time you would like.
    15:26:34 Visitor: And we will still be able to keep the device, correct?
    15:26:57 Samuel: You purchase the device with the initial plan startup fees.
    15:27:57 Visitor: Other than the cost of the device, the activation and shipping fees, is there anything else I will need to pay for if I cancel the data plan before March 1st?
    15:28:18 Samuel: Not at all.
    15:28:30 Visitor: Okay, thank you for confirming.
    15:28:32 Visitor: Have a great day!
    15:28:44 Samuel: My pleasure!
    15:28:51 Samuel: Thank you for choosing Millenicom.

8. Leney macrumors member

9. Kisey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I totally agree, sometimes reps have no clue, which is why I am hesitating. But 90 units left? I may have to decide sooner than later.

10. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Also states on their website "No Contract" for the International iPad Mini w/Retina. Sounds like the minimum plan you can switch to after March 1 is $19.99 for 500MB LTE unless you have an additional plan with them and then it drops to $10.00. My plan is to cancel or suspend service on March 1st and then possibly reactivate when I travel overseas.

11. AQ1225 macrumors newbie

just ordered one

Let's hope we can cancel the data plan from them in a few months - if not, time to call the credit card company to dispute any future charges from them and throw in my own SIM for the service.

12. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

i'm confused by the concept of international mini retina. i know that any LTE version here in america should work with every other carrier but my assumption is that they still don't carry all the LTE bands you need internationally. Am i wrong?

13. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

The iPad Air and the iPad Mini with Retina have more compatible international LTE bands than previous iPads. You can see a list of compatible countries at the following link: http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

14. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

There is only one cellular model for retina mini and iPad Air. This can be determined by the fact Apple only put out two different versions of the iOS 7.1 beta on their developer website, whereas earlier iPad and iPhone models had multiple cellular models, each optimized for a specific world region.

15. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

no white rMinis? :(

----------

Just chatted with them, they said their carrier is T-Mob and no plans for a White rMini.

Free service until march 1, can cancel after... If you want to reactivate then its a 50 reactivation fee.

16. AQ1225 macrumors newbie

I received the rMini the other day and have been using the free data but the 16GB model might be cutting it close

Do you guys think I can just pop the SIM out, take it to the Apple store and tell them I got this as a gift and want to upgrade to the 32GB and pay the $100 difference?

Will this in any way ruin the Millenicom deal - I would think not since I bought it straight out through that promo and that SIM is what is giving me two months of free data.

17. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I should be getting mine today! Should have received it on Saturday but it was delayed. I'm guessing that the Millenicom deal is tied to the SIM card and as long as you cancel the plan prior to March 1st, or continue on one of their paid plans you should be good. I would log onto the Millenicom webstiite and ask them on their chat or call them to be sure.

Now if Apple will exchange, that is another story. I think it depends on the associate you get since you didn't purchase it through them.

18. brent1977 macrumors regular

19. quamsi macrumors regular

While that sounds tempting, this makes me go "hmmm"

20. brent1977 macrumors regular

They're legit. I use their HotSpot plan at home (no DSL or cable available) and am typing this on one of the $199 Minis that I got from them a few weeks ago.

The Air ends up more than $499 after the activation and shipping (more like $565), but still cheaper than anywhere else for LTE model and free Tmobile service through April.

21. quamsi macrumors regular

thats good. too bad they don't have larger capacity units though.

22. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Great deal, I purchased an rMini during the first offering and they delivered within a couple of days. About $100 cheaper than anywhere else for a !6GB Cellular rMini. Just have to remember to cancel the free trial data plan before it changes into the paid plan.