Millennial Family Hit by Bad Parenting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

As a recent article shows, a seven year old ran over her two year old sister with the family car. The mother had her seven year old start the car for her and the girl accidentally put the car in gear. Sending the seven year old outside to start the car was a common occurrence.

What do you think should be done to the mother (if anything) ?

By the girl's ages, the mother is most likely a millennial. Does this reflect on a majority of the millennials ?

Are people really too busy or lazy now to spend 20 seconds to start up their own car ?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Foolish, but what can you do? Hopefully a wake-up call for mom.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Remove the child.

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

Dunno if this is exclusively a Millennial thing. Wasn't an uncommon thing when I was a kid, and I'm from the Gen X era.

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Utterly foolish but even unwittingly one can feel lulled. But cars in the driving seat area are supposed to be off-limits until one is 15. Parents should have known better since they drive and had to go through the process to get licensed.

I do not believe one parenting example is truly indicative of a whole generation, despite the lure some MSM articles attempt. There is always overlap between generations, oversights, and other events that skew the graph, on top off basic generalizations made as if they never existed before (video games being the cause for two generations, TV and drugs for one and even then the drug users were saying TV was bad so use drugs instead to wake up with, before that there was radio... I'm sure someone blamed daily newspapers for the devolution of society and increase of addicts too. Or weekly, since by that far back in time we were still largely an agrarian society...)

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

I think the little girl should sue the manufacturer.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I wouldn't go that far unless there are other abusive issues.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think the addition of the word, "Millennial," in the thread title is gratuitous.

There's nothing unique about millenials and poor parenting.

10. mojolicious, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

The elder child is seven years old. The median age of first-time mothers in the USA in 2009 was 26. So the mother is just as likely to be pre-millennial.

Does this reflect on a majority of the pre-millennials?

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes the parent did something stupid. How dare she not have a good enough care to remote start it. :rolleyes:

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Ah yes, days of "latch key kids" and thus might help explain the business to which the OP applied. Nobody has time do to age-relevant tasks so some things are delegated to the kids because they seem relatively harmless...

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

No, it reflects the fact that I am kinda tired to see the term Millennial everywhere as if they were some sort of experiment to be analyzed and then judged upon.
    Bad parenting has always existed, and to tell you the truth it was even worse. At the beginning of the XX century the British government did a study in some poor sectors of London to find the most awful, abusive, stuff ever. The cause was poverty and ignorance, but inspectors had to go inside houses in which the bodies of dead children were still lying on the floor with no one taking care of them, not even the mothers.
    Read Cities of Tomorrow by Peter Hall for an introduction on the subject.

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Take the kids. She lets the 7 year old start the car and why wasn't she watching the 2 year old? WTF? I can almost excuse letting the 7 year old start the car, but letting the 2 year old outside alone is inexcusable.

Maybe run the mother over with the car.

15. BoxerGT2.5, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Because we know foster homes are great places to put kids. I'd tie her tubes before I take her kids away from her. Is the father around? He incapable of taking care of the boy while she spends time in jail?

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This sums up one of our most difficult problems. Where should the balance between our views be?

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It sounds like the mom made a very bad call. Check if everything else is fine. If so, huge fine, lifetime probation, maybe some parenting classes, and mandatory volunteer hours in foster homes to see how her kids would end up.

18. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Sounds like a reasonable way to deal with the situation. :rolleyes:

What the hell is wrong with you?

And you're the same cupcake who was offended by a Jesus meme earlier today....

19. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I would imagine it depends on the state. A private vehicle on private property can usually be operated without a license. A license is for operating on public access roads and lots.

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

all parents are bad parents everyone screws up more or less.

21. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I was driving by the time I was 11 (typically driving a pick-up loaded with square hay bales between farms to feed cattle). By the time I was 14 I was driving a flat-bed truck with a dumping bed that was a 5-speed manual with a dual-speed axel (my grandfather was building a couple houses and needed material delivered occasionally).

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am a perfect parent. Just don't ask my teenager boy. Or my wife.

23. samcraig macrumors P6

So do you believe the government should have control over someone's body/reproductive rights?

24. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Tell me about it, I just participated in a medical staff meeting earlier this week where our Admins were going on wild tangents about millennials and the challenges we face working with them.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yeah I also had to go through similar, and equally painful training. And I am a 1980 baby so some consider me a Millennial.
    I think it's mainly an excuse for older generations to feel safer because younger generations are usually quick in using new technologies, and since the world is spinning much faster blaming a generational population can be an easy temptation. I simply think that each and every generation had its highs and lows, as each generation contributed and destroyed.