Millennials, do these offering temp to to watch "Network" TV?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DearthnVader, Apr 22, 2017.

?

Do you care about Direct TV Now or YouTube TV

1. Yes, these choices make me care enough to pay.

2. No, they don't appeal to me.

3. I get my TV from another streaming service.

4. I steal all the TV I need from Bit Torrent.

5. What's TV?

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Folks around 25 and under don't seem to care much for watching TV. My son, 13, doesn't watch any TV, it's all YouTube.

Do the recent offerings of Direct TV Now, or YouTube TV tempt you enough to pay the asking price?

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I have not had a tv for many years. I used to watch discovery channel and other educational shows but got tried of the commercials and such. went years without watching much of anything. then started streaming from netflix and amazon and thats about it. I was watching some of the shows my daughter recorded on her dish and it was like 6 minutes of show 4 minutes of commercials. got sick of skipping. so forget that crap. I don't really watch shows on youtube though.

3. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Thanks Steve, I didn't vote, I don't fit the age group, but all the TV I watch is Live Sports. Direct TV Now offers most of what I need, in the basic $35 a month package, but I'm not sure who their demographic is. I would think cord cutters, who seem to be mostly under 25.

Not trying to make a commercial for any service, I ask out of my own self interest, and curiosity. I figure if cord cutters don't sign up for these service, they'll start offering more channels, at a lower price.

I dumped my $120 a month Dish Network account, for a $35 Direct TV Now that offers every channel I watch, but CBS and the NFL network. If Direct TV doesn't get cord cutters to subscribe, and they have a bunch of defectors from their Dish service, I don't see this going well for me, prices will go up, and I'll likely lose channels.

Some may not think of TV as a social issue, but I'd assume these would be, mostly people under 25. TV has effected the social conversation for a long time, tho Netflix has some of the same sway these days, as TV did for my generation.

4. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I don't think my daughter will. She is 17 and watches most everything on her phone. There is a 110" screen in the HT with access to most streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Crunchyroll (yes its a thing, but I had no idea it existed until the app appeared on my Apple TV), but she would rather watch on her phone. Not even her iPad Mini.

I don't understand this generation sometimes.

But she does have friends over for movies in the HT.

5. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

I watched Gun Smoke on my phone yesterday, had a little time to kill, an inspector was looking at my house. I ran all the errands I had to do in town, and still had an hour to kill. I have AT&T, and they own Direct TV, so no bandwidth charges.

Tho I'm not sure what on "TV" appeals to a 17 tear old these days.

6. Zenithal, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

Zenithal macrumors 68040

Millennials or generation Y were born in 1980 to the very early 2000s. You're inferring both Generation Y/Millenials and Generation Z, the post Millennials. The oldest Millennial now would be 37. Those born in the early 60s to the late 70s are Generation X. The proceeding generation is the Baby Boomer or post-war generation.

Now to answer your question without questioning your sources, I stopped watching regular television a long time ago. At least a decade or more. I use my DVR to record what I do want to watch and skip the commercials. I can't sit through commercials now because it's trash. My taste in television shows has changed over the years. I've got both cable and international satellite. I'll watch what I want. I do pay a nice premium, but the abundance of programs leaves for more quality programming within. I like documentaries, history shows, military and or aviation, nature stuff or maybe one of those smooth jazz digital music channels. Or maybe foreign programmed with subtitles.

On Netflix or Amazon Prime Video, we typically watch interesting documentaries, catch up on old shows we never got around to watching, or anything that provides some educational content. The majority of YouTube channels are utter garbage and not worth my or anyone's time unless they're an airhead.

My kids don't watch TV, as if they could sit still for a moment... but they do seem to watch documentaries with us. No idea if they understand anything yet but I'm sure they're getting something from it.

My generation... we had TV, but it was maybe 2-8 channels depending on where you lived. Cable offered little in those days. I'd say people read more those days, too. These days you can ask your typical young adult if they read or not and they'll say they read blogs. o_O

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

My children, millennials aged 30 and 34, watch a lot of TV. My son pays. My daughter mostly mooches off me or her brother.

My nephews, gen Z aged 17 and 19, watch zero TV. They have no clue what shows are hot or popular. They watch YouTube, but not the kind you pay for. Seems their idea of entertainment is different.

Judging from my high school students, most of them don't have the patience to watch a thirty minute sitcom.

8. samiwas macrumors 65816

Watching tv on my phone is something that has literally zero appeal to me. I don't know how people prefer that.

9. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I don't even like watching video clips on my phone or computer. I will ignore news stories with video unless the video is relevant. I would rather read the news than watch a talking head tell me what I could have easily read.

10. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

This seems to be a gap between people currently in their late 20's and people in their early 20's. I'm turning 28 on Tuesday, and I can't imagine not having my TV with subscription cable and DVR. I'm old school like that. I notice most people born the same year as myself are the same. But talk to anyone a few years younger and they don't watch tv. I don't get it. Even if you like to watch YouTube, watch it on a big screen!

I tried DIRECTV now, once they implement cloud DVR I'll be sold. I loved the UI on Apple TV. Made me feel like I was going back to the Stone Age when I switched back to cable.

Your poll didn't include an option for millennials who prefer traditional tv so I couldn't vote and can't see the results.

11. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I'm 29. No they don't. I watch all my shows from Hulu and movies from Netflix or iTunes. I can't remember the last time I watched network or cable.

12. appleisking macrumors 6502a

The only TV I watch is the CW network, and they have an app. I also have Amazon Prime and Netflix, so I've no need for one of those cord cutting subscriptions that cost 35+

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Most of the stuff I watch on a regular basis is sports. Streaming is still not a viable option for the majority of it. You still need a cable subscription of some kind for most of it.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm happy with BBC and Netflix. I can't imagine Apple or YouTube improving on those. And blurays for films, of course.

15. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I was born in 1979. I watch free to air tv (I did have a satellite subscription for a while, but dumped it when the price went up from £29 to £39 - it's way more than that now). I must have a DVR, so I can skip adverts. My 3rd Humax box in a row died (costing me almost as much in 5 years as a subscription...) this one forgot it had a hard drive, losing about 1Tb of recordings, so I've ordered a cheap (£89) Windows 10 mini PC. I'll use a Hauppage USB TV stick and a spare 4Tb external drive I have lying around, to build a DVR which uses standard formats, so if the drive fails I'll be able to recover most of the data, or I could get another drive and back them up... all the things you can do with an actual computer that a locked down box won't let you. As an added bonus, I'll be able to view the recordings anywhere in the house, on any device, at no extra cost - better than Sky Q, and a tiny fraction of the price. I also have Amazon Prime, which I'd use more if my broadband was faster. It's still worth it for the music streaming at work alone. I use the BBC iPlayer etc to catch up when my box fails to record.

My sister, born in 1981, only uses streaming services, including Amazon Prime, Netflix, Now TV, and the free ones from the standard broadcasters.

16. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

My GF is a Millennial (I'm a tail end GenX'er), she gets her TV fix from Netflix and Crunchy Roll.

I'd be happy with like 6-7 channels and Netflix at this point. The only things I watch that are "first run" is stuff like Food Network programming.

17. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Do you watch the network shows on an app? My daughter watches a lot of CW, but on their app. And she has her own DirecTV DVR and 42" TV in her room. So she could record anything on the CW and watch on a real TV. Nope. Phone.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2017 ---
    Buy or rent?

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Buy. I like to "own" the stuff I really like.

19. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I used to buy them, but I realized I rarely watch movies over and if I want to, I just rent it again from Apple. Or there is a good chance one of the movie channels has it as On Demand so no charge.

I didn't even buy the new Star Wars on disc.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'm well over the demographic asked about in the poll question, but for me, these services are totally getting me to switch. Not just on price, but convenience. I don't like to watch TV on a small screen either, but I am using DirecTV Now and if I am out and about it is awesome to be able to watch my favorite TV stations literally anywhere I want for a reasonable $35 a month.

The YouTube TV interface looks really awesome. I will consider trying them too once they get more channels. They are missing too much right now.

But the downside to the move to internet TV, is that no doubt cable TV providers will be eventually trying to make up for lost TV subscribers by raising prices for internet service. And since for a lot of people there are only one or two choices for internet service in their area, that presents a problem. There needs to be more competition for internet service too.

21. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

My kid (11) doesn't really do TV she does YouTube, I watch Netflix and Amazon Prime and don't have a TV at my work apartment. The other side is my wife is pretty much TV only

22. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

It makes me wonder what will happen to narrative TV in the future.

For as long as TV has existed... there were people putting the written word on screen. It appealed to all ages, young and old.

But now... young people mostly watch Youtube... not narrative content. So what's gonna happen to it?

I wonder if kids today have the patience for movies.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Same here. Part of it is I'm hard of hearing, but even if I had normal hearing or the video is captioned, it takes a lot longer for things to be said aloud than for me to just read the same thing in written format. It's very rare for a video to have additional information not conveyed by written text, especially news stories where it's just basically anchors reading news. I just don't have the patience to sit through a news video like that.

24. Herdfan macrumors 6502

And of those two choices, only one has the speeds to be a real player in streaming HD/UHD video and that is cable. My DSL provider can advertise all they want about speeds up to 27M, but you have to live within like 500' feet of the CO or you are back down to 1.5-3M.

25. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'm stuck between Gen X and Gen Y. I quit watching actual television in 2001-03 time frame. I still use streaming services and the like. The problem with Cable providers is that they refuse to allow us what we want., a la carte. For the price of Cable you still have to sit through commercials. I think Hulu had it correct when they first started, give me an option to watch the commercials all at once and then the show uninterrupted. I miss the old days of History Channel and Discovery, now I don't even really have a series that I follow. I was into Homeland until it went all lefty, and my favorite show got cancelled not only once but twice.