Millennials in the Workplace

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I just watched a youtube millennials in the workplace training video. It is very funny and, from my point of view, it's valid. To be fair though, millennials cover a wide range of ages and the video looks directed at people recently out of college.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Thank goodness. Nothing's worse than something intended to be comedic that isn't funny.

And in my book, nothing is more comedic than older generations bagging on younger ones.

People never seem to get tired of that joke.

It's timeless.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As a millennial that works on a squad of millennials I don't really see any of this, in fact when our last manager was promoted they intentionally left our team unmanaged.

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

The millennials at my job are horrible. They all took a job in a 24/7 business and want weekends off and great shifts and holidays off right away. If they aren't on a "career path" right away to promotions, they are being treated unfairly. But they work for a lot less money then people with actual experience so they keep getting hired.

5. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Ha Ha... awesome. I had one of those "we start at 8:00?" people. Had...

6. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Not seeing the humor. Is this some sort of stupid attempt to label all young people as irresponsible?

7. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

From experience, this is just how people entering the workforce from college behave.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

were we any different 20 or so years ago?

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yes

10. jeyf macrumors 6502

Millennials; hope they age with more grace than the Baby Boomers.

11. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Yes. I wouldn't necessarily call the current college graduates irresponsible but they definitely consider themselves entitled.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2017 ---
    I doubt it :).

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

really? Look, i know time and people change, but I also know that rose-colored glasses come into play...

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Most people eventually become acclimatized to it. I tend to be pretty nocturnal, even in my work habits, so 8 am would be difficult but still doable. It's mainly that I have to force myself into that habit.

14. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

An older generation complaining about the younger generation has been going on since forever. For centuries probably. It's nothing new.
    I didn't find the video funny either.

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I can only really speak to my experience. When I started in tv, me and the newer guys knew we would get lousy shifts. We worked overnights, full weekends, did not get holidays off-in fact, we volunteered to do double shifts on thanksgiving and xmas so the older workers who had kids could have off. We didn't even think of promotions until we years of experience. All that is completely different now. The new workers complain because the work ONE weekend day. They complain because the day shift starts too early and they are tired. They have a day shift and a weekend day off right off the bat and they want more. It's pathetic.

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Fair enough. I guess I didn't want to consider that this generation would be in charge of my retirement...

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Well hopefully my experiences are not the norm. Or these kids grow up a little.

18. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Don't come between them and their cellphone! I had one who I was interviewing who took a call during the interview. They're now my boss.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Having taught millennials at university all I can is a large proportion are scared s******s about joining the job market. Can't say as a I blame them. The older generations have made a mess of things.

20. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Any of the american millenials we have had intern with us have been fine.
    Some of the other interns they have described from their program seem a little unbalanced.

21. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

The term "hit the ground running" seems to be a foreign qualification on their qualified skill set.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2017 ---
    Most do unfortunately. I have found that those who have been in an internship program far excel those who have not in attitude and realistic workplace functionality.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2017 ---
    Those I hired 20 years ago? Yes.

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

23. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Nonsense, I know plenty of boomers and Gen Xers who are as entitled and spoiled as young people are supposed to be. Many in high positions both in the public and private sector.

24. NT1440, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Perhaps, maybe a generation watching their parents get treated like absolute crap when it comes to vacation and pay refuses to be taken advantage of (or is at least vocal about it) when we've been enjoying a two decade run of the highest worker productivity (with no wages gains to be heard of) paired with the highest corporate profits in history.

Perhaps we're tired of the notion that you should sacrifice your life to the company in order to work your way up to "decent" working conditions.

Perhaps we're amazed at the ******** our parents worked through for no reason. Industries were not teetering on the edge of collapse, there was no actual reason to transition away from pensions to 401K's other than to let corporations treat workers as machines and for banks to skim people's life savings for nothing. Perhaps we're not going to be walked all over while believing the lie that one day you'll be able to live a comfortable (read: not ostentatious) life that doesn't require working 60 hours a week with no overtime (the very definition of the "just get it done, but don't log your hours" workalike).

Just Perhaps.

Note: This millennial is the first one here at work because someone has to be here at 7am. This millennial also, by ticket numbers, does as much work as the other two people on his team combined. You know, before any of the curmudgeons here decide to assign "laziness" and "entitlement" to my post.

25. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

This Generation Xer approves of your post.