Millennials less patriotic? Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, Jul 8, 2014.

?

Good or bad?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. America is perfect

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. America is the best in the world. If you disagree you are a commie!

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. G51989, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

http://newyork.blogs.france24.com/article/2014/07/08/done-4th-july

And yes, this is cited several times via actual research.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/05/u...ess-patriotic-at-least-in-some-ways.html?_r=0

Is this good or bad?

I think it is good, I am with them.

Sure, waving at a flag is nice and all that, and being an American is part of who we are.

However, rather than blindly worshiping " everything American ", I am into making a new America, a better America that is better for everyone living in America, not clinging onto old ideals and blind worship. I want to make America better, not by staring at a flag and going " Murica! Number 1 at everything ! Everything else sucks! ", I strive for actual good in America.

Is this good or bad? This new form of patriotism that is starting to replace the old?

EDIT: Ledgem brought up a good point

I wonder if this is to due with the internet, younger people have the abilty to talk to people all around the world much easier than they used to and exchange idea.s

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I started using the internet when I was pretty young. The net was a pretty different place then, but it still had an impact on my world view. I exchanged ideas and regularly kept up with people in different countries, and felt a greater connection to them than to many of the people living around me. In many ways, my self identification transcended nations. I wasn't limited by physical borders; I could have been anywhere on Earth, and as long as I had a net connection, I'd still be able to carry on as I was.

Nearly everyone uses the internet these days, although not everyone connects with people from other countries, and not in the manner that I did. Regardless, I wonder if that has an effect on changing the display of patriotism.

3. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

It's all fun and games till someone flies a plane into a building.

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Weird options for the poll. Instead of Good/Bad, you put Yes/no.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Patriotism can be a good thing; blind nationalism never is.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I was about yo say the same thing

Some people confuse patriotism with nationalism. The latter bent rather dangerous

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Agreed. I think millennials are still patriotic, but much less nationalistic. They're much less likely to falsely claim the USA to be #1 in everything ever. Also, the pledge of allegiance is something that I think many millennials view as creepy. So do my parents actually, they're from the Soviet Union and when they first heard about children basically worshipping the flag every morning, they said it reminded them of some kind of communist ritual. Indeed, I believe the pledge needs to be phased out. It's effing weird.

8. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

What does that have to do with the question?

How does blind patriotism that the older generation has stop planes flying into buildings?

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I remember saying the Pledge of Allegiance every morning at school.

Also those born in mid 90s on don't have much recollection of 9/11

However, I think patriotism is still strong today. The support we gave in the world cup is indicative of that

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

11. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I still voted "no". :D

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

But we added "under god" to the pledge to make it less commie! ;)

I'm with you though, the pledge creeps me out a bit. It's just a piece of cloth, I'm sorry, but I will never hold the flag in high regard. Symbolism, yada yada yada, but at the end of the day, you're pledging allegiance to a few dollars worth of cloth.

Plus, not a fan of the whole "under god" nonsense. I also refuse to stand for the singing of God Bless America at baseball games, if that makes me unpatriotic then so be it.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

As far as kids feeling patriotic, I believe it is effected by how connected you feel to society. My impression which may not be accurate, is that millennials feel less connected.

I believe levels of patriotism are partially based on how good you have it or think you have it and is also effected by which direction you think the country is headed and the threats it faces. Ironically the manner of threat has a wide definition depending upon who you talk to.

Up though my 40s, I always thought it was important to own an American vehicle, but these days I've got two Fiats and a Toyota. My nationalism brand loyalty has taken a hit as I have become soured on corporations that are American in name, but in reality are multinational and don't seem to care about the citizens in this country, just digging for gold where ever they can, and hiding as much if their profits as possible. I might as well remove patriotic buying from my habit patterns.

These feelings are also effected by my perception of the citizens of this country, a substantial portion of them want to march us back to the dark ages. It's hard to be proud of this. I used to think we were number one, that we were a country full of great people, and were moving forward, but I've realized we have a bunch of idiots in out midst and it's hard to be proud of that. I also acknowledge that the perception minorities have historically will be much different then mine.

Before it is suggested to me that maybe I should leave, I'm not ready too. Despite all of these issues, I am still loyal to my country, I live well compared to the average, and have hope that in the battle for our souls that has been going on for the last 30 years, there is still hope that we will survive this and come to our senses, while acknowledging that my version of "coming to our senses" does not mesh with the conservative version. :p

PS- this is a crummy poll. First it is asked If millennials are more or less patriotic, then asks good or bad, but none of the poll choices allow you to answer both of these questions, and it includes extraneous choices that mean practically the same thing, so I've ignored the poll. Someone needs to take a course on poll creation. :p

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Blind, unthinking patriotism is almost never a good thing. Last refuge of a scoundrel and all that.

Why are millenialls somewhat less outspoken in their knee-jerk patriotism than their elders? Gee, maybe ten years of useless war in Iraq; widespread torture; Guantanamo Bay; and universal NSA spying had something to do with it. Then again, maybe the internet and those 500 cable channels have shown some of them that other people don't all leve in mud huts and eat stewed meerkat.

Patriotism is still pretty high in this country. I wouldn't worry about it.

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I think the generation born after 1980 is our best hope for ending the partisan civil war that has finally managed to bring the country to a screeching halt. Seriously, it's choked us out...

16. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

get away from democrats AND republicans, that is a good start :D

18. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I didn't mean in elections, there I know to vote for he lesser evil.

I meant this poll, the options don't make sense with the question. :(

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]I know what you meant[​IMG]

20. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I imagined you knew.

Seriously, though, this poll isn't great even if you take yes and good and no as bad. Because there is no option for it being neither good nor bad.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The older generation rolled the red carpet up as they went, higher education and state colleges used to be funded by the states, but we have decided to tighten the string purse since the older generation doesn't need it anymore. Schooling is now unaffordable.

My generation was welcomed into the world with a big steaming helping of ****, corporations have outsourced to save investors money, many college grads are working at McDonalds, even that American flag you are praising was probably made in China. So to me the question is how can the older generations claim to be patriotic when they are the ones who sold out America?

22. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

It's sad when you put it that way.

Edit: I mean the idea that Millennials are the ones that aren't patriotic.

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

BRAVO!! They complain about "those lazy young people", but they don't realize their generation is responsible for it. Baby boomers don't realize how much easier it was for them to make a living to keep a roof over their head and own a car directly out of high school then it is for today's generation. Yet, they're always trying to compare the two.

24. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Why should they be? The Baby boomers sold off everything and ruined the country

25. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I think the Millennials are very patriotic. It's the fact that the older generations are too focused themselves and what they want that stops any real progress from being done.