Millionaire gay couple is suing to force a church to hold their wedding

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 18, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...hallenge-to-Churchs-gay-marriage-opt-out.html

there are a few links on this story, personally I think they should go pound sand.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

They will not win. It's crossing the line, get married elsewhere.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Just shows what a twisted perspective people have on religion.
    Religion is a private thing and no church has to do anything.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I hope macrumors is treated to more articles copy-and-pasted from libertarianrepublic.com.

5. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Agreed. People shouldn't expect religious folks to be tolerant...knowing their history.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

They are not expecting them they are abusing the legal system to force them.
    You cant force people to be tolerant. Tolerance has to come from within.
    Everybody has the right to be intolerant as long as it is kept in privat. And religion is privat.

7. quagmire, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

This isn't going to get far as other have mentioned. They have every right to have our government recognize their marriage, but a church is a religious institution and they do not believe in gay marriage in the religious sense of the term marriage. Within their rights to deny holding the ceremony there.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Churches do have to allow gays in their congregation or else they face an even more rapid extinction. Their current bigoted attitudes are only going to alienate the next generations.

In a few short years when organisations like the church of england face complete destruction you can bet they'll be trying to distance themselves from issues like this as fast as they can and pretending it was all a misunderstanding and not their "real views".

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I agree. Religion should also pay taxes, like all the other private things do.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

indeed they should, except on donations.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

No, they should pay taxes on donations received. Income is income. Otherwise, how else would they separate funds received for nothing and funds received for church services?

If the church makes a donation to some other charity, then that can be tax-deducible, like it is us for us regulars.

12. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Again, I agree.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I would say, except on donations they don't use to invest with.

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Absolutely. I don't see how religious organizations not paying taxes is constitutional in any way.

15. ElectronGuru, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014

ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

There's always someone willing to take things to far. Or in the words of Gump: privilege is as privilege does

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

should we tax beggars on the streets as well?

money FREELY given to the church or ANYONE else has been taxed already.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Nonsense. That money has already been taxed, so now you think the government should be taking more money from the poor, too? Give it a rest, this argument is tired, senseless, and not the point of this thread.

18. dec. Suspended

dec.

I cannot relate to that. To stick to the mythological/fantasy theme: Why would Hobbits want to get married by Orcs (or vice versa)?

...although I always am surprised by how many Christian gays there are, I could see that they wouldn't want to be excluded even if they are in a place where others traditionally "believe" that they are "living in 'sin'"...:confused:

19. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Depends...how much do they collect per year? If they collect a lot, then I don't see why it's any different from any other career field.

20. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Don't companies only pay tax on Profit not just revenue?

I see no reason the church shouldn't be held to the same standard.
    If they really are a non-profit organization they aren't going to pay tax either way. I understand here in Australia the paper work for a non-profit is greater than a company that doesn't make profit, so it would be less work for the church that way too.

----------

Barrie Drewitt-Barlow said that he and his partner Tony, “feel we have the right as parishioners in our village to utilize the church we attend to get married.

“It is no reflection on our local church, who have been nothing but supportive towards us. We understand their hands are tied by a higher group of people within the church.”

If the church in question is the one they attend as a couple and are accepted and supported on any other day as a couple by that community who are willing for them to married there. Then to me that is a very different kettle of fish to a random couple wanting to get married there because they like the stone work.

21. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Their local church may be on their side, but they still choose to part take in a religion that is predominantly against them. They are entitled to have their marriage recognized by their government, but not by the church. The church has no power to harm them in any way by not recognizing their marriage. The government not recognizing it, on the other hand, can lead to serious issues. How can you legally force a cult to do something that goes against their cult belief because one of their members wants them to? That's like suing because you don't like the flavor of koolaid they're giving you.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Forgive me for pointing this out.

But the gay couple in question live in Britain. And they are suing over the Church of England's policy of not performing same-sex marriages.

Britain does not have a "separation of Church and State" amendment to its constitution. Heck, Britain doesn't even have a Constitution.

The discussion of the Church of England, its policy towards gay parishioners and priests, is one that is incredibly complex. In many way, the CofE is far, far more tolerant and welcoming of gay people than 99% of mainstream US religions are.

So I would really suggest people not make too many parallels, or draw too many conclusions as to what this does, or does not, mean as far as same-sex marriage in the United States.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

But non-profits also get audited and must show the IRS an itemized list yearly. Churches don't and are not subjected to any of that. And many churches as an entity invest a lot for it's own self gain, which doesn't fall under non-profit regulations. Best example would be Catholic church or churches as a whole.

Not really, cause by them getting married in the church, they are defying the the religious structure and those whom hold that structure dearly. It would be equivalent to congress not abiding to a president's veto.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Who are we calling poor? The Catholic Church, that's worth as much as Wal-Mart? Joel Osteen's megachurch, who, last week, had $600,000 in cash stolen from their safe? I'd be sympathetic if $600k wasn't one weekend of donations for that church. I'm sure he'll fleece his congregation for $1.2 million this weekend to make up for it so I'll save my sympathy for someone else. Then you have the Mormon church, which rakes in 7 billion, yes, that's a b, in yearly tithings. Oh, and don't forget, that the Church of Scientology enjoys tax exempt status in the US. Yes, that crazy cult that operates as a business and charges people to be members and charges them even more money to learn more about the religion hasn't paid a single penny in taxes.

So, who's poor again? I say tax the ****ers.

25. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm gay, I'm Christian, but I won't be getting married in the church because most modern churches are filled with filth and hate. If a church denies a wedding its not a church, its a thinly veiled hate group in a fancy building.

That being said I'm mixed on the suing. Personally I would just have a wedding elsewhere however since the church chooses to be a political force and donate to keep marriage out of the hands of gay people they deserve to be sued. They're not a church they're a political organization.