Millions seek Brexit re-vote as EU urges Britain to depart soon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Jun 26, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://nypost.com/2016/06/26/millions-seek-brexit-re-vote-as-eu-urges-britain-to-depart-soon/
    https://www.good.is/articles/brexit-petition-eu-referendum-revote
    http://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/could-britain-change-its-mind-about-brexit.html

Still feeling happy about "independence day"? Seems people who live in that system have had second thoughts. Unfortunately, France and Greece want the UK to leave ASAP, and Cameron is reported to have said this (emphasized):

Sounds like a liberal, unless he's a conservative?

2. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

One year from today we will be discussing how rapidly other nations joined the U.K. in abandoning the European Union.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I've seen a lot of "sour grapes" headlines the past couple days. The people have spoken, ***** deal with it.

5. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Did you read anything beyond the headlines?

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The elites didn't getter their way so they will manufacture a story to try to get their way with another vote. Anecdotal regret from leavers, petitions signed by the losers.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

What is so hard about separating? You empty the desks in Brussels, grab the next Chunnel, get out in England and dynamite the tunnel before hordes of Muslim terrorists use it to infiltrate from Europe.

Seems pretty easy.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

You know what they say about breaking up.

9. bbnck, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016

bbnck macrumors 6502

People want another referendum because they didn't get the result they wanted? Doesn't sound very democratic to me, and it would be asking the UK government to pass unfair retrospective legislation which will penalise everyone that voted to leave. It is extremely flawed and undemocratic to retrospectively apply rules like this to a referendum that has already taken place. The referendum is done and the decision has been made. That is the democratic process.

10. boast macrumors 65816

boast

The UK always lacked humility in defeat.

11. Ironduke Suspended

Ironduke

only america is worse but i agree

12. Renzatic, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Even I have to admit that a revote would be grossly unfair, and could set a terrible precedence. The only way I could justify one is if there's evidence of mass fraud, or millions of votes were somehow lost. Since neither one of these things have happened, the results have to be lived with.

For the few people who voted leave as a protest, not expecting a leave outcome, then that's entirely on you. Take the process a little more seriously next time.

13. cube macrumors G5

The Guardian specially remarked "how to vote if you''ll be at the Euro or Glastonbury, as the referendum has been conveniently timed to coincide".

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Now that the vote is in, we have no choice but to make the best of our new reality. It is entirely up to us to make it work. I only hope that the politicians who are in charge have some imagination.

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Since the Brexit isn't legally binding, the U.K. is basically counting on the government to execute the will of the people, no? It wouldn't surprise me to see the political and financial elites invent some flimsy excuse to simply dismiss the Leave vote and carry on as usual.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Considering that Cameron has stepped down, and those left in power were solidly pro-Brexit, it'd be hugely suspicious if they decided to turn their backs on their own initiative.

17. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

As you have mentioned Brexit isn't legally binding. And according to Financial Times columnist and legal expert David Allen Green: no legal provision was included in the EU referendum legislation that requires the UK Parliament to act in accordance with the outcome of the referendum. The vast majority of the 650 MPs identify as Euro-philes and would likely support a motion position to protect Britain's place in the EU. Pro-EU MPs could even argue, ironically, that ignoring the public's will would be parliamentary sovereignty in practice.

18. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

If you say so. What century was it when they were last defeated?

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's still a dangerous thing to do. The end result of such an action might end up being worse than biting the bullet, and leaving the EU.

20. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I agree. Nevertheless it is an interesting alternative. We'll see what happens.

21. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Depending the Euro cup outcome, possibly this year!

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If a referendum is offered, the result should be respected. No ifs, no buts.

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

what about the fact that it didn't require a supermajority for such a huge decision?

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It doesn't matter. The vote has now been decided per the rules the UK government set. The fact it was seemingly an ill thought out attempt to gain political leverage that ended up blowing up in everyone's faces is a distant secondary fact.

25. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

That's a fair point, but it could also go the other way - the EU is not the same "European Economic Community" that we last voted on in 1975. We didn't get a vote on the Treaty of Nice, we didn't get a vote on the EU Constitution, and we didn't get a vote on the Lisbon Treaty. The EU has undergone enormous structural reform and expanded its powers hundredfold since we last had a vote.

So you could very well make a point that a vote to remain is the first vote we've had to be part of the "union" that came out of the "community". The EU is making massive changes to the fundamental constitution of Europe, like creating a single European Army; shouldn't that require a supermajority? Given the history, you could argue that "leave" should be the default position unless we expressly give the EU a respectable mandate to implement these changes.

Even if 'remain' had scraped it, nothing would have been resolved. They still wouldn't have the mandate they require. A huge 70%+ victory (as in 1975) could have resolved Britain's attitude towards the EU, but that's not the real world.