Millions Wasted on Gov Travel

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Oct 4, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20071003/government-travel-waste/

I thought they were supposed to be conservatives. And that only liberals were elitists. This doesn't bother anyone else?

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

To be fair, not all of those employees were political appointments. Some of them were, but not all. (At least that was the version of the story I read in my local paper).

Now I just need to figure out how to get that sweet free premium-class travel.

3. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

The main problem, as usual, is the lack of oversight of those who do fall under these guidelines. ;)

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Just a sign of the republicans sense of entitlement. How much body armor or health care would that money have purchased?

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

This is hardly just something that republicans do.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

indeed, its a sign that we need more reform in the government so just money isn't wasted though and can't happen.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I don't know that we're talking about reform. These rules are in place. They just need to be enforced along with a culture of accountability.

8. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

but some of the rules are ridiculous, even if enforced. For example, when I travel by car for business, the gov't reimburses me 50 cents a mile. Thus, if I travel 500 miles round-trip on the highway getting 35 miles per gallon, it costs me about $35 in gas. But, if, I wanted to I could be reimbursed around $250, no questions asked.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Reimbursement isn't just for gas, it's also for wear and tear on the vehicle. The more you travel the more often you'll need maintenance, new tires, new brakes, etc.,.

Lethal

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

And who's in charge of enforcement?

11. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I agree with Lethal. The government reibursement rate is based on the average vehicle operating cost per mile for the life of the vehicle.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exactly. the way the system works allows for loopholes and ridiculous things to slip through.

the way it is now, things don't work too well from my standpoint. obviously some of it is better than others, but i do think a change is needed, not that we'll see one.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm.. remember how much trouble "Travel-gate" caused? For some reason, theliberalmedia doesn't seem to be making as much noise about another travel-related scandal. Nor do Republicans seem very concerned about this issue.

I can't imagine why.

14. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

true, but I have the option of renting a car, getting reimbursed for the cost of the rental, and still getting the mileage fee.

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Every day, I see big military choppers over Mclean transporting some official
    to a meeting, just imagining what that kind of luxury is costing the taxpayers.

I'm sure many "officials" use private jets to get around record keeping.

I'm sure the amount of money wasted in "classified" black budget accounts
    far exceeds any amount we would consider reasonable or justifed.

We're getting hosed big time and they will always find ways to
    hide their skullduggery.