Milton Keynes Meetup

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by sk1ngle, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sk1ngle macrumors newbie

Couldn't find a post already, so i apologise in advanced if there already is one (If there is please post the link below, thanks).

I will be going to the iPhone 6 launch at the MK Apple store and am happy to start the thread for the meetup etc. I plan to get there pretty early on 1am Friday morning, so I will happily be a scout for people telling you how the queue is looking.

:)

2. danielbroad macrumors newbie

danielbroad

After all the scalpers pushing in last year for the 5S i'm really glad i have an online pre-order this year.

If i was going to have to queue I was planning on driving to another store, MK seems to be really bad for this.

3. sk1ngle thread starter macrumors newbie

Was it really that bad last year?
    I have done the 3G, 4 and 5 at MK with no real problems, so am shocked to hear this!

I have a 6 reserved but missed out on the chance for a 6 Plus, so debating if I should go queue nice and early in the hopes they have some spare walk in 6 pluses.

But if there are jumpers around, I would inevitably have to get there early!

4. 6836838 Suspended

Why don''t you guys just get it delivered? I will never understand those queuing up at the store! Why the desperation?

5. sk1ngle thread starter macrumors newbie

For me, it isn't about desperation, it's just being among the atmosphere and excitement, while also catching up with other apple fans.

Plus the staff at Apple make it extra special and free Starbucks coffee and muffins is very cool! and my work isn't far from the MK Apple store so no real issue for me going.

6. applefanboie macrumors newbie

:>

since 3-4 weeks delay for my iphone 6 plus
    I would love to join MK queue.

Any idea what time should we go there? which gate will open?
    Does Apple retail store MK have 128GB Gold/Silver stock?

7. applefanboie macrumors newbie

btw, where we can get into the shopping centre afterhour?

8. sk1ngle thread starter macrumors newbie

I plan to get there for 5am time. we should be able to get in ok near the Marks and Spencers entrance.

9. applefanboie macrumors newbie

thanks.
    I really want to call MK apple to ask them how many 6+ they got for that day.
    If only 1-2, I plan to camp there since mid night.

10. sk1ngle thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll save your time and money calling them.
    I called them on friday after I realised I had missed the early chance to reserve, they mentioned they would have stock for walk in customers who had not reserved. He said he couldn't mention numbers or which models, but being there in the morning shouldn't be a problem to get a model I want.

So hence why I won't be pulling an all nighter ;)

11. applefanboie macrumors newbie

Great to hear this :)
    Which model you after?
    I after 128/64GB + Gold mainly. I have a feeling each apple retail has only ONE + gold stock...

12. sk1ngle thread starter macrumors newbie

I am ideally after 64gb and space grey.

I think they will have more than one of each easily. maybe in the region of 20-50units of each model for walk in.

13. applefanboie macrumors newbie

20-50 is way too optimistic to me :eek:
    :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Assuming each plus model has 30 stocks for walk-in custom, there would be 270 stocks for ip6+. Including the reserved stocks? Says the two piles are same height. 540 in total. Lets say one iphone6+ cubesize is about 28 inc^3 = 458.84 cm^3 which about 0.0005 m^3. Sumup ip+ stock is 0.229 m^3. This is an idea figure. The box should be 30% larger in volume than the phone itself. So the stock size in the end is: 0.3 m^3.

This figure doesn't include iphone6 stock (at least double the number of iphone6+) and ALL other Apple products they sale...

:( Don't think MK store has such a large inventory room. (remember the tiny room upstairs? )

----------

I think.. ip6+ 16GB will have 20 for each colour.
    64GB will have 10/5 /5 for silver/gold/sg
    128GB 5/3/3 silver/gold/sg

purely 6 sense

14. javilionaire macrumors newbie

Oh wow, that sucks. I'll definitely call out anyone that tries to push in front..

What time do they usually begin sales? Is it 8am on the dot?

15. javilionaire macrumors newbie

Posted early in the morning so people might have missed it.

What time do people actually start queuing. 1am, 2am, 3am?

16. sk1ngle thread starter macrumors newbie

From past experiences it's pretty quiet until 5am ish then people start arriving.
    I think it will probably be the same this year especially as most people will have the phone already reserved. I'm gonna aim to get there for 4:30 ish

17. javilionaire macrumors newbie

Yeah, sounds about right. How're you going to kill the time!? Haha

18. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If you're looking to get there early (say from midnight onwards)- how far in can you get/where to queue?

Has the queue previously start at the apple shop then go out to the entrance from on the right of the image? Or is there only 1 entrance, and you queue outside that?

Reading last year's thread and before - would rather queue early and not get stuck behind ever growing groups of scalpers, get a ticket/QR code then queue and get out early/catch a nap and come back in afternoon

19. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

Good luck guys I queued last year and it was far better than watford!!

Scalpers were a major issue and we were practically pushing them out of the line even In front of Apple staff.

We did have a laugh and chatted to someone off here

20. javilionaire macrumors newbie

Once you get your ticket issued are you allowed to leave the queue to pee or grab some food?

21. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

once you get a ticket that phone is yours, so I guess so. I queued with a mate and it was very relaxed to start with, everyone was sat around so I just left my mate and went to the loo as needed. Infact i think if you look up last years you'll see my pictures.

I however was very unimpressed with how it was handled and i let apple know what i thought. I can understand staff not intervening due to safety etc, however i pointed out that as wealthy a company they are I'm sure they could afford a security guard over night just to discourage any barging in.

I also suggested they hand out tickets throughout the night so that those who had put the effort in could grab a phone then relax and just enjoy the experience.

My advice would be have at least two people so you can cover loo breaks and your stuff. Take an iPad (or something) if your queueing a while time drags badly if your not chatting to anyone.

oh and take a stick to beat scalpers with :D:apple: (only joking, but not really)

hope you get what you want, if your after a 6+ id be going now i think

22. t0mat0, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Just spoke to Customer Services - there will be 24 hour security, and access to toilets all night.

As for scalpers, i'd imagine getting the 24hour security staff onside, and getting a contact number for them will help any scalpers/queue jumpers.

From 9to5mac's APple plan - looks like 5am they acknowledge queue, split into walk in and preorder pickup, and start giving out qr codes. once QR codes are given out (in queue order) at 5am, why would someone try and push in?

If you had to leave and come back may need to enter the queue at the back (of the waiting to be served, already have a pickup code queue).

Hm - was half tempted to go watch a film at the odeon (Guardians of the Galaxy's worth seeing again) then joining queue at 11ishpm but I guess it might be hard to see what the queue size will be.

Does the RingGo parking next to the cinema do more than 2hrs? Seems nearest parking (though not cheapest - least it's free 7pm-7am)

23. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

is that apple security or mall security?

do they mean they're actively monitoring the queue? or just protecting the mall?

I know i sound a miserable old bastod but last year was a royal screw up, and id want you guys to get something over those scum bag scalpers anyway.

Maybe take a german shepherd or something

Be prepared for the scum because this phones so hotly anticipated, the ring leader literally stood there dishing out wads of cash to his minions then they went and joined people already in the queue.

is anyone camping already? if not id go now, none can barge in front if you are the front!

24. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Mall security - (Apple doesn't have their own - though they'll be out and sorting the queue from 5am).

Not sure about protecting mall vs actively monitoring the queue - i'd imagine protecting the mall. Scalpers aren't so bad if there's enough stock and they're quick buying them...

25. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1636741

see a visual indication of how bad scalpers are mate

if theres plenty of stock then all will be fine :) problem is IF theres enough stock, I literally had the last 5S in grey and person behind got the last 5S totally

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.