Mini Display port to VGA adapter for my 32" Sony Bravia

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jologs, Nov 29, 2008.

1. jologs macrumors newbie

hello all,

I just had my al macbook and Im planning to buy also the mini display port to VGA adapter for my 32" Sony Bravia, is it workable? coz what i learned from others that it will not work for some tv brand like samsung...appreciate your advise.

thanks,
    jologs

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sure it will work, but to VGA?? why would you put it to such a disgusting standard??

i would go to either HDMI (most TV's these days have HDMI) or DVI (not as common), because they are digital signals, unlike VGA which is analogue and wont be able to reach the TV's native resolution.

3. jologs thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the confirmation.. yes i will consider the HDMI, thanks for the advise :D

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Erm, are you sure? I run my Samsung LCD TV at full 1080p over VGA from a Mac Mini...

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no i am not sure, i just didnt want to give hte OP the hope.. i hate doing that to people.

my full HD panasonic tv can only do 1024x768.. i connect it digitally and it works perfectly at 1920x1080.

does your do progressive? or interlaced?? analogue just looks to bad IMO.. too dodgey.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Progressive. Custom setup via SwitchResX to get a perfect 1:1 pixel mapping at 1920x1080 at the correct refresh rate. Looks fine to me :)

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the SwitchResX program looks interesting, although i am not big on the refresh rate thing.. as long as its not flickering then i am happy!!

well of course, if it was running at the native resolution then it would be 1:1 mapping wouldnt it! glad to hear analogue is still hacking away.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The 1-1 pixel mapping is not always that simple. Without the correct custom display setup the TV always interpreted the 1920x1080 input signal as being an overscan source so scaled the image slightly. With the correct, very odd setup (it's between 59 and 60Hz refresh) it works perfectly with no overscan

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sounds thrilling, i had the same problem with my lappy when connecting it to the TV. i went into system preferences, displays and ticked a button that said "Overscan". worked like a charm :)

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Good to hear that that can work. I tried that befre the custom setup. Got an image that did not quite fill the screen :(

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh hhmm interesting, i wonder where the problem lies... at least its working for ya :) digital was the way to go for me but, analogue completely disgusted me, was like going back to the old days hahaha.