Mini DisplayPort -> DVI -> External monitor not running at native res

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ImmortalKenny, Oct 30, 2008.

1. ImmortalKenny macrumors newbie

I just picked up a mini displayport to dvi adapter today and went to hook it up to my external monitor (ViewSonic Q20wb @1680x1050) and when I mirror the image across both monitors, the external monitor runs at 1280x800 but in the display preferences menu, it say it is running at 1680x1050. When I un-check the box for mirroring the image, the external monitor then runs at 1680x1050 and the picture really sharpens. Is there a way where I can mirror the image to both monitors but run the external monitor at 1680x1050 and the MB at 1280x800?

All help is appreciated, thanks.

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

If you're mirroring the displays, they are displaying exactly the same thing pixel for pixel, so they have the same resolution. If you want to use native resolution on your external display, you can't use mirroring.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No. Mirroring means exactly that - the external will be a mirror of the internal display, resolution and everything.

4. ImmortalKenny thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, ok. Thanks for the quick help guys :D

Is there any way to use the external display as the primary display and sort of disable the MB's screen?

5. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

What resolution is the primary display running? Is it that the external monitor in Mirror mode has to run the same resolution as the primary monitor ?

6. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Yes

Yes, in displays setup, one of the monitors in the control panel has a white strip at the top. Drag that white stripe to the picture of the other monitor. It will change which one is your main display.

7. ImmortalKenny thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was looking for! :D

Thanks!

8. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

If you just want to use your external display, close the MacBook's lid and wake it up with your mouse or keyboard.