Mini DisplayPort-HDMI (Uni MBP) picture quality lower than DVI-HDMI on old MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Snowbound, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Snowbound macrumors regular

I recently switched from a penryn MBP to a Unibody one. I was using a DVI-HDMI adapter to connect it to my HDTV. With the new computer I purchased a Mini Display port adapter and HDMI cable and connected it to the same TV.

There seems to me to be a noticeably poorer quality to the HDTV picture now than there was with the older set up. Has anyone else noticed anything similar? Any thoughts on why?

Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Snowbound thread starter macrumors regular

I know it's all digital, but the DVI-HDMI was a straight conversion. What's the difference in DP that makes it need that large square converter box?

My resolution is fine, it picks up on the 1080P immediately.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

What "large square converter box" are you referring to? The one on this cable?

5. Snowbound thread starter macrumors regular

Yup. I bought that adapter from monoprice, and that is what I'm referring to.

6. knownikko macrumors 6502

I don't think there's any electronic hocus-pocus going on inside that housing, just space for a female HDMI jack and some room for cable pinout in the back.

7. Snowbound thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm that does sound reasonable. I just don't understand why the picture quality is so different. Has anyone else had a similar set up and noticed a difference after they switched?

8. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

Theoretically the mini DisplayPort to HDMI should give a better image because it supports a higher resolution - Is it possible that your Television is not supporting that higher rez and if so maybe you need to turn down the rez to match the TV?

9. Snowbound thread starter macrumors regular

It's a good thought, but the TV is a 1080P set and the resolution is set to 1920X1080 also.

10. brentsg macrumors 68030

One of the Apple updates a month or so back jacked up HDMI out for me, and to my knowledge it hasn't been fixed.

Make sure you're not outputting 1080i or something via HDMI.

11. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Or your TV is somehow trying to decode it as 1080i

12. Snowbound thread starter macrumors regular

The TV reads 1080P when I set it up, so I don't think it's that either...I'm really hoping someone has a similar experience; I don't think I'm imagining things.

13. Snowbound thread starter macrumors regular