Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
UK
So I want to connect my late 2011 17" MBP to my Samsung monitor. I figured I needed a Mini Displayport to HDMI adaptor.

After a quick Amazon search I found two types.

Option 1

Option 2

I was wondering why anybody would go with option 2 as you'd need another separate HDMI cable? Whereas option 1 is straight from the Mini Display port to the HDMI on the TV.

Looks as though both support audio for my model. Is there any difference between the two?

Edit -

Is it for users that wish to use an additional splitter to connect multiple displays up?

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
What about users that need more or less than the length of option 1? I personally own a 25m HDMI cable, so I could see how that could be used.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
The HDMI to mDP cable was complained about by HDMI Licensing (I think it was them). Apparently it isn't standards-compliant, so many stores stopped selling them. Standards compliance is achieved by the mDP to HDMI adapter, needing a separate cable.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
UK
What about users that need more or less than the length of option 1? I personally own a 25m HDMI cable, so I could see how that could be used.

I should have stated length aside sorry.

I have a spare male to male HDMI cable at home, but I'd rather use a single mDP to HDMI and not use an adaptor (looks neater IMO)

Will I notice any quality differences or anything?

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
UK
Yes you need a HDMI cable as well as HDMI converter.

I really prefer one from Moshi, its a bit expensive but better than those rip off ones.

You can buy HDMI cables off amazon for less than 5 dollars. (I dont know pounds but)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1824ZM/A/Moshi_Mini_DisplayPort_to_HDMI_Adapter?fnode=51

So do you think I should cancel my order of option 1, and go with option 2?

I have a spare HDMI lead at home.

Although option one does have 71 reviews at 5 star. Hmmm.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
So do you think I should cancel my order of option 1, and go with option 2?

I have a spare HDMI lead at home.

Although option one does have 71 reviews at 5 star. Hmmm.

All HDMI cables are same in my opinion.
I have a 2 dollar one and a 30 dollar one (back when PS3 just came out).
They are so common I dont even know which one is which.

The only thing Im concerned is the MDport to HDMI converter.
That this already looks like a rip off so Id go with Moshi Minidisplay to HDMI.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
UK
All HDMI cables are same in my opinion.
I have a 2 dollar one and a 30 dollar one (back when PS3 just came out).
They are so common I dont even know which one is which.

The only thing Im concerned is the MDport to HDMI converter.
That this already looks like a rip off so Id go with Moshi Minidisplay to HDMI.

Moshi Minidisplay to HDMI Adapter - £29.95
Minidisplay to HDMI Cable - £10.95

As long as it supports 1080p (Which it does) and lets me use an external monitor (which it does) - Why spend an abnormal amount of money for something that does the same job?

Edit - An article on the HDMI cables & adapters being 'illegal' and possibly being recalled. Notice how Apples own is also 'illegal'?

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Moshi Minidisplay to HDMI Adapter - £29.95
Minidisplay to HDMI Cable - £10.95

As long as it supports 1080p (Which it does) and lets me use an external monitor (which it does) - Why spend an abnormal amount of money for something that does the same job?

Edit - An article on the HDMI cables & adapters being 'illegal' and possibly being recalled. Notice how Apples own is also 'illegal'?

I mean I dont mind if you buy it, but I dont trust products unless they are from a legitimate company.

I mean from the picture, you can tell that it looks like an rip off.
You dont buy fake iPhone's cheaper even if they did similar things right?
Besides, Moshi has warranty.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
UK
I mean I dont mind if you buy it, but I dont trust products unless they are from a legitimate company.

I mean from the picture, you can tell that it looks like an rip off.
You dont buy fake iPhone's cheaper even if they did similar things right?
Besides, Moshi has warranty.

Read some reviews, they are a legit company with very good reviews concerning the product AND customer service.

A rip off of what exactly? It's a cheap cable that probably costs less than $5 to manufacture (As does the Moshi) Just because Apple sell the adapter, it doesn't make it superior

Not to mention they're doing the same thing. What exactly is inside that box on the Moshi? My bet is nothing. Just the cores from the cable being terminated into a female HDMI housing to allow a 'legal' HDMI to HDMI cable to be plugged in.

I'll report back when my cable arrives anyway :)

Edit - Look at the terrible reviews from the Moshi website compared to the reviews on Option 1 in the OP lol

My favourite -

This product is a complete waste of money. I bought one in January and by February it was working only about 50 percent of the time. Eventually it would only work if set to 1080i instead of the 1080p that it is advertised to work at. But after a few more months even that no longer works. I took it apart and you can see how cheaply its made. Its held together by wax like plastic and masking tape. It probably costs moshi about 87 cents to manufacture these so you do the math and see how much they are ripping you off. If you want a proper hdmi to mini dvi converter go to Best Buy and pick up their Dynex model, it even comes with a one year warranty. I will never be buying a Moshi product again and the fact that Apple endorses them almost makes me want to switch back to PC (Posted on 8/17/11)

Edit - I don't mean to come across as hostile :) - I'm just skeptical about things like this that's all.

Last edited:

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
i just bought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170815566372
longer, cheaper, sorted. wont be used daily so should last fine. although i was at a friends last night and he told me to plug my laptop into the tv but only had hdmi, so im going to get an adapter as well to stick in my laptop bag.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
UK
If you open up an adapter, I'd bet all there is inside is a simple PCB with a PCB mounted female HDMI connector with each core from the Mini Displayport soldered onto the pins of the HDMI connector.

Thus making it no different in terms of functionality.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I was wondering why anybody would go with option 2 as you'd need another separate HDMI cable?
So I have more options for connecting my MBP. I'm not restricted to being 1.8m from the display's HDMI port. However, why you would or would not is really what matters.

I should have stated length aside sorry.
That is the main reason.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
UK
So I have more options for connecting my MBP. I'm not restricted to being 1.8m from the display's HDMI port. However, why you would or would not is really what matters.

That is the main reason.

Okay - So like I said - Ignore the length in option 1. That is just to suit my needs.

What I'm getting at, is why people chose the more expensive adapter when it does the same thing. Unless you need a super long 25M cable it seems unnecessary.

Especially when the majority of people want to connect their laptops to an external monitor on a desk (where a small length would be fine)

How does using a 1 to 1 adapter give you more options compared to the straight through cable?
It doesn't.

It's basically a 150mm extension lead.

Last edited:

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
UK
Okay so I asked the question to the company that produces the adapter AND the straight-through lead.

There is no difference between the two.

The adapter is for people that want to connect an extra long HDMI lead.
The cable is for people that connect to an external monitor in close proximity.

So why do people still go for the more expensive adapter when using it next to a monitor that's 3" away lol.

The HDMI to mDP cable was complained about by HDMI Licensing (I think it was them). Apparently it isn't standards-compliant, so many stores stopped selling them. Standards compliance is achieved by the mDP to HDMI adapter, needing a separate cable.

Nope - Both are 'illegal' - They function in the same way, standards do not fluctuate between the two. It's just a legal thing with using the term 'HDMI'

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
UK
So I received my er, cheap rip off cable yesterday ;)

Great quality I must say (for £10)

Plugged it in, worked first time (unlike the Moshi adapter)

Couldn't be more pleased.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.