mini displayport -> vga -> vga/dvi-i adapter -> dvi-i/hdmi cable -> 1080p hdtv?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kamikazi, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Kamikazi macrumors newbie

Heya guys!

I need the help of experts on the subject: i just bought the macbook alu. w/ the mini displayport, i tried to plug it directly to my samsung 1080p hdtv with the Mdport to vga cable but the tv didnt display anything..

so i searched the web to find other solutions (Mdport to dvi -> dvi to hdmi cable), but for me that means buying 2 other cables so i was wondering if i could use this route:
    mini displayport to vga -> vga/dvi-i adapter -> dvi-i/hdmi cable -> 1080p hdtv? :rolleyes:

with this example, i would have to buy only the dvi-i/hdmi cable since I already have the vga/dvi-i adapter (my old MSI 6600gt one)
    so hows that sound ?

thx for giving me the answer ASAP cause I need to make a surprise presentation for my boy!

thx a lot in advance! :)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why not just buy the Mini DisplayPort-DVI adapter and then get a DVI-HDMI cable or adapter? Best to keep the signal digital all the way through.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

Sorry, it won't work. The miniDP->VGA supplies analog only, and cannot be converted to DVI. The VGA-DVI connector you are talking about is the other way around (DVI-I->VGA) and requires an analog signal included in DVI-I which also won't work with the miniDP->DVI-D adapter.

4. Kamikazi thread starter macrumors newbie

owww :( thought i could save some money since i dont use the mini disp.port to vga..

well, i think i will have to choose the pricey option, but mdp->dvi cable + dvi->hdmi cable ;(

ouch 100$

no luck, the apple mdp->vga cable doesnt work with samsung tvs only ... -_-"

5. thedon0922 macrumors newbie

you don't need to spend $100. Go to monoprice.com where you can get a DVI > HDMI cable for $10 SHIPPED;)

6. Capla macrumors newbie

If your TV has a DVI port, just use the mini displayport to DVI instead of using an extra HDMI cable; quality stays the same.

So a lot of TV's just need two cables; the mini displayport to dvi and the usual dvi cable that comes with the tv.

7. petz0ldt macrumors member

I just ordered my cables today i ordered a minidp > dvi from apple ($30, which if u ask me is ridiculous but there aren't any other options at the moment) and then a 6ft $10 dvi>hdmi cable $15 after shipping at monoprice.com. Hopefully this is gonna work, I got a 22'' lcd tv for christmas and cant wait to use it

8. danny_w macrumors 601

That should work just fine, but you should be aware that you may run into overscan issues. The new MB/MBP apparently do not detect a TV is connected when using this arrangement, and consequently the overscan checkbox in the display configuration is not present. If you tv has overscan adjustment (unfortunately there is no standard for what the manufacturer calls this) you can use that, otherwise there are a couple of freeware/shareware utilities that can be used to adjust the timing.

9. MacBook08 macrumors regular

I and many others have had the same problems with Samsung tvs and Samsung monitors. Funny, because my HP monitor works perfectly with the mini displayport to vga adapter. There is hope though. Monoprice.com will begin selling a mini displayport to hdmi adapter sometime in early 2009.