Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Looks interesting, but I'll quote the webpage:

"This is one hot little PC!"

I'll bet it is. A standard P-III in an enclosure that size would be very hot. And you thought PC laptops were hot, this thing would burn up in no time!

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Kinda pricey, don't ya think? I mean.. a thousand bucks for a DVD player.. if it at least had SCSI or Firewire it could make an OK Linux machine.. but that's about it... all the drawbacks of the Cube, with none of the power... and the ports are all over the case.. so you can't even stack them for something useful.

No thanks.. add a couple hundred for an OS and double that for a monitor, and you have a 1 GHz PIII that costs more than a mid-range iMac

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Originally posted by IndyGopher
Kinda pricey, don't ya think?

Well, people forget that miniaturization is itself expensive, and that is indeed a pretty small package to pack all those electronics into.

But that said, this is exactly what you'd expect if the PC world tried to make a Cube. I'm pretty sure the reason the Cube bombed is that after a point, people think tiny computers are cool, but they're not willing to pay the premium associated with making them tiny. The trick is to make a small package that's still competitive on a raw price/performance level.

But where the Cube was original and stylish, the PC seems to be trying to imitate the style of Sony's MiniDisc players, and I really don't know why. It's not that the MD player style is bad, it's just that it doesn't really make any particular sense on a PC. And the PC might be small, but it's not like I can keep it in a particularly small space. It'll have to lie flat, and it's going to have cables hanging out on all sides of it. So ultimately even though it takes up less volume, it's going to increase clutter on my desk.

So it's neato and stuff, but I'll pass, as I think most people will.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
ok its not very useful, but its neat to see companies trying this sort of thing. i see it as one more small step towards the modular design that alpha has been talking about so much.

so maybe they didnt get it right this time, but its a step in the right direction, and its a good sign that they are working at solving some problems with our large desktops locking us into one space. with terminals available everywhere you just pop you pod in and you have your own computer where ever you go. sure there are obvious problems associated with this but as long as they are trying we know they will be working out those issues.

so id summarize it as this: companies realize there is a problem out there to be solved, they dont know quite how to attack it but they are working on it.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by alex_ant
Pretty swank. Is that big circular grille on it there to cool the CPU? I'd like to see a PowerPC version of this thing.

Alex

right on, me too

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
That's pretty cool. Kind of like a powerbook... but without a monitor...

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I'm an avid mac user but i do sell pc's, tho i always try to get them to buy a mac.....My beef isn't with pc hardware, i love to tinker and such and build machines.....I hate windows, throw some linux on that little bitch and a flat screen monitor and it would be a screaming machine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.