Mini repair project - help welcome

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DryEyez, Jul 25, 2012.

1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

Hi guys, so I'm in the process of moving house and I have a shiny Galaxy S3...but wait, what do I come across? It can't be...but it is. The phone I thought I no longer had, my old iPhone 3G.

Now this phone holds a lot of memories for me, several break ups, old photos and what I considered at the time, an amazing library of music.

It currently, will not turn on. The problem is that the battery is completely dead and currently I have no way of charging it as I can't find a charger for it in the house....(I know I have one so currently searching)

The other problem is a crack where it looks like an earthquake hit the phone.

So, for memories sake I'd like to fix the phone to it's former glory, new back cover, new battery and if it isn't too complicated a new home button. (I remember it use to get a little stuck)

I'm fairly capable and can fix most things, however I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me in the direction of a supplier. I know of iFixit, however I am UK based and therefore need a UK supplier. Any help is appreciated!

Also before I read up and do a little research, how easy are those 3 jobs on a 3G

2. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Update #1

Acquired charger. Hooked it up to the laptop and a silver apple logo appears. Tried to turn it on, stays on Apple Silver logo then goes back to blank. Any ideas?

Also the phone is not showing up in itunes when connected...

3. AFDoc macrumors 68030

take it back to apple and see if you can get it replaced for the $149 OOW replacement cost. Not sure if they're still replacing 3g's but it's worth a shot. You will have a "new" iPod touch for your troubles.

4. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Does the UK have OOW replacement programs? If so how much is the UK price of this service?

Also if there are no replacement 3G in stock, what would they replace it with?

5. viperGTS macrumors 65816

A replacement probably wouldn't be your bes bet seeing that the phone still contains your information on it that you wanted to keep.

I am unaware of any UK suppliers however you could try Amazon.

That being said, good luck on this project. :)

6. Spuddyboy macrumors newbie

Apple do out of warranty replacements in the UK
    Click Here

I would also suggest MendMyI to fix the phone if you don't want to pay for a replacement http://www.mendmyi.com

7. Meanee macrumors 6502a

One of things you may want to try is to plug it into a wall adapter, not a computer. They provide a bit more current. If your battery is so bad that it cannot hold enough charge while phone's booting up, maybe wall charger for few hours should take care of things.