MiniDisplay Port to DisplayPort Not Working with NEC Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chris-sirhc, Jun 14, 2014.

1. chris-sirhc, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014

chris-sirhc macrumors newbie

I’ve recently received a NEC PA-272W-BK display and can’t get it to work with the Thunderbolt port on my mid-2011 Mac Mini. The monitor says there is no signal at the port end with a Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt to DisplayPort. Is there a fix to this?

Googling gets lots of complaining about connection issues from a couple years back, but I’m not seeing a direct fix for this.

Also, with a DVI on the display to DVI w/HDMI adaptor on the Mac, I don’t get full use of the screen without expansion in the display controls. I assume that the fix/change to the mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort will correct this, yes? Or, should I consider an HDMI to DisplayPort cable--which is my current thinking.

Info on my Thunderbolt port:
    Firmware Version: 22.2
    Port:
    Port Micro Firmware Version: 2.1.3

I’m running 10.9.3 and I don't have any other Thunderbolt peripherals to test the port.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Definitely you want to use DisplayPort. Try a different mDP-DP cable, those can be flaky (avoid no-name or cheap cables like Monoprice).

You want to avoid using mDP-DVI because the resolution of that display would require the Dual Link (expensive) adapter: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

There are also quite a few reports of external monitors not working right with 10.9.3. But a good cable is a start. After connecting, restart the mini. Sometimes you have to reset the PRAM and SMC to flush out the cache and 10.9.3 will then detect the new monitor.