Minimum wage set to rise...good or bad?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by s2mikey, Dec 30, 2016.

1. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

just read that many states are bumping up minimum wage requirements. Some folks claim victory. Others like me question it's effectiveness and what message it sends. Should Govt determine wages at all? It doesn't affect all industries or businesses equally which is shady.

I also find it interesting that every time they have a guy on the news who's all for this, he's an older father of 4-5 kids. Or a twenty something mother with multiple kids. Hmmm. Shouldn't these people have planned things out better? Like, ya know, don't have kids until you can support them? I remember as a kid that these menial jobs were for part timers and young kids. Maybe retirees looking for a few hours to pad their SS. Never were designed to support families of seven or eight people. So, ehhh....not sure about this.

Doesn't it also irritate those who make slightly above minimum wage or who used to? They have a more desireable skill set and probably worked to get that. Now, their pay is close to the same as a totally non skilled person. Shouldn't everyone's wage also have gone up? But no, that won't happen.

Not sold on this being a good idea.

2. samiwas, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016

samiwas macrumors 68000

I fall in neither of your categories of poor multi-kid, bring in well over $100,000 a year, and still support a minimum wage increase. Minimum wage increased more than 25% in three years, around 8-10 years ago. It has not changed in more than 7 years.

3. Herdfan macrumors 6502

It used to be technology was being used to eliminate manufacturing jobs. It is easy to justify spending $500K on a robot to assemble things when you are replacing 3 $50K a year workers (factory running 3 shifts). Makes no sense to do that to replace a $20K a year worker.

But technology has come far enough and people are more comfortable with it that you can easily replace a $20K (would be $30k with a $15 min wage) worker with a $5K smart order taking terminal. So did that minimum wage increase help anyone? Or did it just eliminate someone's job?

It is a balancing act and we need to find the equilibrium. Just raising it to be raising it is not the answer.

4. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Raise it. Minimum wage should see an automatic increase every decade.

Since the 80's I think the House have seen their annual pay increase 14 times. The Senate has received 15 increases.

But they people they represent get nothing, while they loot the treasury. That's nonsense.

5. Zenithal macrumors 601

High income, two children here and I still support the minimum wage hike. If people aren't capable of purchasing anything other than utility time, bare necessities to live and possibly a mild form of luxury that's very cheap, then your local economy will suffer.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Most automation today in high tech is NOT driven by labor costs, it's driven by quality. I install manufacturing control system all over the world and see much more quality driven automation than anything else.

People make mistakes. Robots do exactly the same thing every time, and can effectively be PMed or serviced based on SPC principles. People cannot.

7. Zenithal macrumors 601

Interesting. Siemens or Philips? I see these two mentioned a lot in automation articles.

8. satcomer, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

When I was a kid I paid for my own high school cloths by mowing lawns, digging graves for the Town, and working at Mc Donalds! I also work for farmers tying grape vines and throwing hay! Now all that is done by illegal aliens and kids have no way to do anything like that anymore!

9. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Indifferent, it will just speed up automation, likely increase (albeit not by much) prices and prompt business owners to cut back in whatever ways possible to reduce costs.

10. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

It only matters to people that make the minimum wage, and those that hate poor people.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

yep conservatives seems to hate poor people but won't pay them enough to stop being poor either.

12. 5684697, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  13. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Are you being sarcastic? This will just cause the prices of, well everything, to skyrocket and soon enough people making minimum wage will have the same purchasing power they did before.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm sure you are being sarcastic, but at some point we will have to talk about a universal gurunteed income due to more jobs being lost to automation than can be replaced with service sector jobs.

15. 5684697, Jan 1, 2017
  16. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Why stop at 50K? Oh wait, hyper-inflation.

17. WRChris macrumors 6502a

WRChris

Inflation? Who's ever heard of that? Just create more money is the solution I'm seeing here and that's terrifying.
    "I make 50k a year! Honey, get out $2500 so we can buy a loaf of bread. "

18. 5684697, Jan 1, 2017
  19. Herdfan macrumors 6502

That's a good point. It may be especially true at lower wage levels because the robots show up everyday, do their jobs and don't usually create issues for the employers. That right there is reason enough to use them to replace QSR employees.

20. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

At least you acknowledge the downside. But the problem is really not the minimum wage. It's the cost of living which is really inflation. Wages have gone up in the last 40 years but cost of living has gone up even further. We used to have a currency based on gold and silver so inflation wasn't an issue. Now it is unfortunately due to the debasing of the dollar.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

21. samiwas macrumors 68000

While I'm not necessarily supporting Dos Gris' plan, raising the minimum wage, even to $15 an hour, does not cause an equal increase in prices, unless greed kicks in.

22. thekev, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It really varies in that it depends on your current margins and the percentage derived from labor costs where minimum wage or near minimum wage labor is concerned. It would most likely shake some things up right at the beginning. For example fast food managers would be pressured to minimize labor costs outside of peak times. If the numbers still look good, this stuff always blows over to a degree. I did this briefly as a teenager. It wasn't ultimately worth it at that particular place. Labor laws meant that I couldn't do closing shifts, and subtracting gas reduced it to the point of not worth the effort, given that the place was frequently very slow in the evenings.

I understand your hatred of floating currencies, but what would you even use as an index today?

23. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Gold and silver both fluctuate in value. ;)

24. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I'm curious, where do folks think this &15/hr is coming from? This is more than double what the min wage is now. A question I have to ask of all of these dem plans is who is going to pay for it? Are small businesses supposed to pay for it, and also all of the other Obama regulations including the ACA?

Eventually you won't have to worry about finding a job because there won't be any.

25. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

No, they don't. It's the dollar and all fiat currencies that are fluctuating.