Minneapolis may ban new drive-thrus

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 14, 2019.

1. jkcerda, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019

jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

great, now instead of waiting at the drive through people can spend hours looking for a place to park ..........
    http://www.fox9.com/news/minneapolis-may-ban-new-drive-thrus-1

liberal news source down below for those who don't like faux news.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

How would this increase density? People would have to park their cars instead. Which would necessitate more space needed than a drive through takes up to handle the lunch rush. In restaurant food orders are generally much slower and people are more likely to dine in if they go inside. Which would necessitate larger buildings and even larger parking lots to handle the crowds.

3. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Dunno, the density in this thread seems pretty spot on:D

Ever gotten the idea that there may be ways to get stuff done that doesn't start with lumping 4000pounds of steel through the city?

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

this is Murika, we don't other than Boston & NY public transport tends to suck, here in liberal CA it would take my daughter about 6 hours in public transport to reach her college, takes just a tad over an hour by car.

5. jeyf macrumors 65816

reference; this is according to "MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9)"

6. jerwin macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

8. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Cities want less cars. Of course that means you need an alternative which would be mass transit, or ban all privately owned cars within city limits and incorporate driverless autos for hire. Look at cities who have already incorporated scooters for hire.

289FEC37-0DD5-48EB-9692-ABF54EA3D2C9.jpeg
    San Antonio, Texas scooters for hire. Who needs a car, unless it’s raining! ;)

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

so drop off the car at home after work and go find a scooter? most here in CA would have to drive to a scooter center for that...........

10. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Scooters are great, even though a lot of people hate them for cluttering up sidewalks. They're a convenient and easy way to get around. Enjoy them while you can. Right now they're skirting all potential regulatory laws in cities, so I'm sure local governments will find a way to **** this up.

https://www.govtech.com/fs/City-Bans-Scooter-and-Bike-Share-Citizens-Give-Little-Input.html

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/l...ters/269-b24bccc3-f65c-453c-aaa8-a35a666c2fe0

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/electric-scooters-cities-ban/

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Come to TX (possibly in July). Change your mind.

12. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Check your focus. Before the scooter, I mentioned mass transit and self driving cars.

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

ALL OF which still pollute the environment.
    this is a blind decision by Minnesota , it creates more problems than it attempts to solve.

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

ALL OF which still pollute the environment.

What is your point? I want to hear it before I reply to it.

15. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Cities existed and still in exist in places much hotter and without AC, so.....

Well and I may not be an expert in US geography, but I've always placed Minneapolis a tad bit north of Texas:confused:

16. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

A tad. :)

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

what are people supposed to do, drive around looking for parking spots OR go home and take public transportation/uber/self driving cars so they can go get their stuff?

18. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I agree with you. :D Drive throughs are for convenience. I can’t imagine fast food without drive throughs. :) And if you drive to the dry cleaners I don’t see any difference between parking and using the drive through, from a vehicle density aspect.

So while I am sympathetic to cities who want to reduce vehicle traffic, and I anticipate they will achieve this, they are going to have to do a lot more than ban new drive throughs if their goal is to reduce vehicular traffic. A good question to ask the City of Minneapolis, is what exactly is their vision and what part of their vision is banning drive throughs?

If this is indeed related to a long term plan to reduce vehicles in the city, a drive though would still serve a purpose, even if the city went to automated vehicles for hire.

19. jerwin macrumors 68020

As a pedestrian, I hate drive throughs. They take up too much space, and they make traffic unpredictable.

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

But it is that versus parking spots. The footprint of a McDonalds with a drive through is not that much bigger because of it.

21. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Minneapolis is nuts. I’ll never live there.

22. jerwin macrumors 68020

Here's the zoning standards for my locality:

1. Restaurant:
      1. (1) Ten (10) spaces per 1000 square feet of gross floor area for restaurants with a gross floor area of less than 5000 square feet
      2. (2) Eleven (11) spaces per 1000 square feet of gross floor area for restaurants with a gross floor area of 5000 square feet or more
      3. (3) Spaces designated for curb-side pickup cannot be counted toward the minimum required number of parking spaces
    2. Restaurant with Drive-through:

Twelve (12) spaces per 1000 square feet of gross floor area, plus eleven (11) stacking spaces for the drive-through window, with a minimum of five (5) such spaces designated for the ordering station. Such spaces must be designed so as not to impede pedestrian or vehicular circulation on the site or on any abutting street.

Spaces designated for curb-side pickup cannot be counted toward the minimum required number of parking spaces.

23. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

@jkcerda

Come to Cerritos and see how many drive-thru's you find! They only have two right now and those were far from easy to get in. But they have a different reason, they want folks to come in and stay awhile.

24. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

They probably agree. :D I loved the Twin Cities although I lived in the suburbs.