Minneapolis suburb will no longer say the Pledge of Allegiance at City Council meetings

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Citing a desire to accommodate the city’s increasingly diverse population, the St. Louis Park City Council has decided to drop recital of the Pledge of Allegiance at its meetings.

“I hope it’s not too controversial,” said Council Member Tim Brausen. “Our community tends to be a very welcoming and increasingly diverse community, and we believe our citizens will understand. I don’t think we're going to be any less welcoming by not starting our meeting out with the standard ritual.”

The change, which will take effect July 15, was sponsored by Council Member Anne Mavity, who said that about half the cities in Minnesota do not require the Pledge of Allegiance to be said at council meetings.

The vote was 5-0, with Mayor Jake Spano and Council Member Thom Miller absent.

“We all love our country dearly, and we demonstrate that by our service as elected officials all the time,” Mavity said. ”I want to make sure that we are welcoming to everyone in our community, and so I just felt that was an unnecessary component to include every single week in our work.”

http://www.startribune.com/st-louis-park-will-no-longer-say-the-pledge-of-allegiance-at-city-council-meetings/511844872/

I don’t live in St. Louis Park but am embarrassed for everyone who does. I didn’t think a city could get more crackpot than Minneapolis but here we are.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
people should be FORCED to be patriotic.................... just like other countries............:rolleyes:
less time in symbolic crap and more time to actually work.
Where does it say someone was forced to do anything? Why are they assuming a more diverse population would hate the pledge of allegiance? It’s just politically correct nonsense.

tpham5919

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2016
chandler, az
A piece of cloth to u but to ME it's a symbol that represents this country - MY country - so I absolutely have no problem paying respect to "a piece of cloth" or recite the pledge anytime. It's your right to disrespect it and that's the beauty of living in this country. You're not forced to say the pledge of you don't have to so don't get all riled up because u feel "forced". Now I can tell you many stories about the good old communist Vietnam and its "freedom" and its "free things" that many liberals here are aiming for but that's probably good for another thread.

Reactions: Vanilla Ice

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
A piece of cloth to u but to ME it's a symbol that represents this country - MY country - so I absolutely have no problem paying respect to "a piece of cloth" or recite the pledge anytime. It's your right to disrespect it and that's the beauty of living in this country. You're not forced to say the pledge of you don't have to so don't get all riled up because u feel "forced". Now I can tell you many stories about the good old communist Vietnam and its "freedom" and its "free things" that many liberals here are aiming for but that's probably good for another thread.
Am I disrespecting it to call it what it is? To me the pledge of allegence is symbolic of what America has forgotten... that it's people make up the supreme power of a republic.

Also I'm also from Canada... you might know it as Canuckistan :rolleyes: and I've sworn a couple of oaths in my day, but never once have had to recite any pledge of allegiance to anything. Such is freedom, for which we stand.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Where does it say someone was forced to do anything? Why are they assuming a more diverse population would hate the pledge of allegiance? It’s just politically correct nonsense.
When I was on a council no one pledged allegiance at the start of the meeting. Nor did they pray. It’s inappropriate.
[doublepost=1561581686][/doublepost]
Where do people find the mental and emotional energy to feel uncomfortable by others engaging in this patriotic ritual?
Well it extends the meeting for starters. And shorter meetings are better.

However fortunately for you there’s no liberal campaign to stop people pledging allegiance.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
When I was on a council no one pledged allegiance at the start of the meeting. Nor did they pray. It’s inappropriate.
[doublepost=1561581686][/doublepost]

Well it extends the meeting for starters. And shorter meetings are better.

However fortunately for you there’s no liberal campaign to stop people pledging allegiance.
Why is it inappropriate?

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Do you feel embarrassed for the 50% of communities in Minnesota that don't require reciting the Pledge of Allegiance?

tpham5919

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2016
chandler, az
Am I disrespecting it to call it what it is? To me the pledge of allegence is symbolic of what America has forgotten... that it's people make up the supreme power of a republic.

Also I'm also from Canada... you might know it as Canuckistan :rolleyes: and I've sworn a couple of oaths in my day, but never once have had to recite any pledge of allegiance to anything. Such is freedom, for which we stand.
You have your freedom not to do it. I do mine. Not sure why you're belittling what i, a us citizen, have no problem to do here in the us just because you're not doing it in Canada. A bit overreaching and judgemental ?

Reactions: Vanilla Ice

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Reciting braindead "patriotic" blabber before school, or council meetings.

I'm sure everybody would be proud to be on the list of countries doing that!!
I say good for them. The current pledge, with “one Nation under God,” is fundamentally unAmerican.
Well said, both of you.

Are there no other examples of societies or countries - other, than the ludicrous and hyperbolic one of "good old communist" Vietnam that you can cite when making this point?

Reactions: Raid and Eraserhead

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Where do people find the mental and emotional energy to feel uncomfortable by others engaging in this patriotic ritual?
Nobody’s uncomfortable or for that matter really give a **** but please let’s stop pretending this is patriotic. It’s a pointless symbol nothing more. I will not be forced and certainly will not be judged into doing it.
[doublepost=1561595910][/doublepost]
I would still stand a say the pledge of allegiance in those meetings. Get butt hurt.
[doublepost=1561591737][/doublepost]

Our hero’s get buried in that “piece of cloth”. Show more respect and less ignorance.
Clutch your pearls a little tighter. It’s still just a cloth.

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
I would still stand a say the pledge of allegiance in those meetings. Get butt hurt.
[doublepost=1561591737][/doublepost]

Our hero’s get buried in that “piece of cloth”. Show more respect and less ignorance.

Presses 'F'

tpham5919

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2016
chandler, az
Well said, both of you.

Are there no other examples of societies or countries - other, than the ludicrous and hyperbolic one of "good old communist" Vietnam that you can cite when making this point?
Why would it be ludicrous and hyperbolic? Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean that it's any less true. Did you live in Vietnam in the late 70s and the 80s or even the 90s? I did so I know I what I am talking about. What was your personal experience like living in Vietnam during that time i'm truly curious?

Anyway, not trying to drag out a pointless debate in an internet forum; have better things do so. Just wanna give some thoughts on the subject that's all.

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
So remove the "under God" part and then the Pledge is appropriate for a "diverse" community (as usual, the "God" language was a later Cold War addition and not part of the original). While I'm not a fan of the Pledge, it's intended to be recited by all Americans, not just white people, which seems to be the implication if the community's diversity is the reason they're scrapping it.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
LOL around here I would have assumed the complaint about having to pledge to the American flag came from those on the right who are flying the Confederate flag off their barns or bikes or tractors... there are so many now that some other people (regular conservatives? Democrats?) are writing in to the local paper to complain about it.

So perhaps here in some village or town council meeting, the concern might be that someone might raise the wrong darn flag for the pledge? So far I haven't heard of that happening. Even little community improvement clubs usually still open with the pledge although no one raises eyebrows if some don't join in reciting it. It's a thing but without being a thing if that makes any sense.

There are a lot of things I never thought I'd see in America. Makes me curious about what the heck I'll be seeing by time I'm a hundred years old. But hey, the pendulum swings back and forth, even on how cool it is to be hyperpartisan about stuff, I would imagine. I see more kids now who refuse to get on the blue or red bandwagon that their own parents are riding, so I guess there's hope.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
Citing a desire to accommodate the city’s increasingly diverse population, the St. Louis Park City Council has decided to drop recital of the Pledge of Allegiance at its meetings.
So uhhh.... does this increasingly diverse population not also live in the USA? Are they not citizens, or at the very least permanent residents or people on the path to becoming citizens? Why is there a weird disconnect between a community being diverse, and also being able to acknowledge the country I'm assuming they all choose and want to be in?