Minnesota - Coleman / Franken (Recount now showing only 337 votes separate )

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 840quadra, Nov 6, 2008.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am not 100% clear on the law, but a mandatory recount was put into play when the initial results were posted as being really close. I was highly annoyed that Coleman claimed victory at that point (knowing the recount would happen), and that Franken is wasting our tax dollars by pushing forward the recount. I don't think either Franken or Coleman have any say in the matter, besides Franken withdrawing from the race.

It will be interesting to see if Franken turns out to win by a slim margin, I would be curious to see what Coleman would say to that.

[​IMG]

2. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I was under the impression that Minnesota state law calls for a recount if the difference is 1% or less, so yeah, it's beyond Coleman's or Franken's control.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out, along with the race in AK and the runoff in GA.

I think the Dems will pick up one of these three, with the Coleman / Franken race being the highest probability. That would give them 58 seats, including Lieberman and Sanders. Not fillibuster proof, but then again even with 60 Democrats it wouldn't be fillibuster proof. Dems are notoriously unable to hold their caucus together the way the GOP can -- or at least could.

So now the battle will be to pick off two or three GOP senators per legislative item in order to kill the fillibuster.

I bet the GOP is glad today that they didn't pass "the nuclear option" when they ran the chamber...

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The recount is automatic, but if Franken conceded, they wouldn't have to do it. It's an "automatic" recount in that it's the default action and doesn't require a petition from Franken in order for the recount to take place.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins are moderate Republicans and would be targets.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The only reason Frankin is this close is because he's riding Obama's coat tails. He should concede.

7. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

That is the way I read, and tried to comment on within my post.

That is the reason why I was a bit miffed that Coleman had to post up the passive-aggressive comment stating that Franken was essentially wasting Tax dollars pushing for the recount. If he wants to discuss wasting tax MN tax dollars, I would love to sit down with him for a 30 minute discussion.

Yes Franken could have dropped out, however he would have wasted the time and contributions of his supporters if the did so. Tough Decision, but this is potentially history in the making, and I am glad that Franken didn't withdraw.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Fixed that for you.

Coleman is a crook.

9. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Yup. Three horse race. Coleman would have been canned. Franken got Nadered.
    http://www.startribune.com/politics...yqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUs

~ CB

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So then would you suggest that Ted Stevens, who is only close because he rode Palin's (exceedingly expensive) coattails, should also concede? Hmmm...

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well thank god for that independent candidate. Even a "crook" is better than a comedian.

Franken go home.

Did Stevens get more votes? Because coat tails are usually reserved for those who won an election.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Rationale?

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

So what do you call our current Yale-edumacated president? :rolleyes:

14. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

What's wrong with comedians? Tina Fey would've been 200 times better as VP than Palin would. Not because she's funny (Palin is funny too, albeit unintentionally), but because she's extremely sharp and knowledgeable, knows that Africa is a continent, and best of all, she's not crazy.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, and Franken is as pure as snow.:rolleyes:

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Never said he was but he doesn't have constituents making payments to companies that then employ his wife.

As far as I'm concerned, we need more ordinary citizens to become politicians. I have no problem with his comedic past or past drug use.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

He's good enough, he's smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like him.
    [​IMG]

18. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Colman is a crook and the state of MN needs to get Wellstone's seat back. I hate it being this close.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's just a little hypocritical that conservatives would have problems with Franken's career path.

[​IMG]

20. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

[​IMG]

21. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

R.I.P. Wellstone :(

22. TSE macrumors 68030

Are you seriously comparing Reagan's past as an actor/comedian to Franken's past of insulting stand-up comedy routines, and even more insulting script writing? Sorry Minnesota doesn't want another distracted politician? Franken doesn't even live in Minnesota!

Reagan's occasional joking in the white house was close to harmless, in fact at time it was for the better because it cheered up the American public at a crucial time.

I admit, Norm Coleman is far from great, but he is better than a Homer Simpson wannabe.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

In your ear.

He should just abandon those who voted for him???

Time to call the mother ship, for a ride home.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

An actor is an actor. A comedian is a comedian.

25. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Like others have stated, I too Miss Wellstone. And I too hate that it is this close.

[​IMG]