Minnesota Democrat: "ISIS isn't evil. They're doing what they think is best for their community."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Nov 16, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

A candidate for the Minnesota legislature campaign ended less than 24 hours after a tweet expressing an unpopular opinion about terrorist organization Islamic State.

'ISIS isn't necessarily evil,' Dan Kimmel of Burnsville posted Saturday evening, when the world was still coming to grips with the Paris terrorist attacks that killed at least 129 people.

'It is made up of people doing what they think is best for their community. Violence is not the answer, though,' he added.

Of course, this is the state that sent Al Franken to the Senate so maybe it's just a comedy routine...

2. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Isn't it a bummer when reality just flies in the face of political correctness?

3. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well in a sense he's right. No one does something because it's "evil". ISIS truly believes they are in the right... So did the Nazis... And Stalin... And the US during "manifest destiny" period... And the various European countries during the colonial period... And every other group to commit horrible acts with "good reason".

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Duh! Of course they think this is best. We all know that. But your statement places yourself in semi-agreement with them.

5. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

In what sense did it make sense, because if there is one, he would have clung to it as two drowning men grasping onto each other. Even he realizes it was an utterly stupid thing to say: "The tweet was stupid. I'm sorry."

Once he sobered up, he was much more reasonable:

"I will do everything I can to help resolve the issue: most likely the best thing for me to do is shut up," he said.
    Strange thing is, he's the poster child for representing the moral relativism that afflicts the Democrat party and American Liberals in general.

6. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

well the Donald will fix it he was heavy surveillance on mosque's and shutting some of them down.

7. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

What is right or wrong, good or bad is written by the majority or the victors.

8. jerwin macrumors 65816

Kind of a subtle argument-- exactly the wrong sort to tweet. Though, I'm not sure it really applies to ISIS--"The Management of Savagery isn't big on pragmatics.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

Exactly.

The government and the intelligence services of the US, UK and France helped create ISIS. They also sponsor the Saudis.

If you say ISIS is evil then you have to take the next logical step ... evil world we live in.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    All villains see themselves as the heroes of their own tale.

But still, considering every horrible act that's been committed in their name, I'm not too willing to give them much benefit of the doubt by this point. They're about the closest thing we've had to an objectively heinous group of people since all that crap happened back in the 40's.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

I don't think anybody is disagreeing with you.
    They just point out that they are heroes in their own minds. There is also a lot of mentally unstable people who get recruited by ISIS.

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

What ISIS did in Paris was wrong. For all time.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I'd say they have more appeal to the angry than the unstable. Either to those with reason, or those pointlessly so.

If I were really edgy, I'd say that ISIS is the id of the 21st century given form.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

I strongly disagree.

If you do some quick research on it you will discover that a lot of their recruits have a documented history of psychological disorders.

They are more than just angry.
    They are certified crazy.

An angry, but sane man is not going to blow himself up.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

You fill a sane man with enough hate, and he'll go to great lengths to express it. You could argue that pure, unbridled hate is a form of insanity, but it's one we could all fall victim to in the right circumstances.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

I've read many stories of famous ISIS members that have a medical history of mental illnesses (e.g. Denis Cuspert).

Again: They are not "angry". They have certified chemical inbalances in their brains. In Cuspert's case he literaly came fresh out of a mental insritution before joining ISIS.

A lot of them also have very low IQs to the point of being considered mentally handicaped.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

You'll have a few, yeah. I have no doubt about that. But the vast majority? That sounds a little too pat for me to accept it outright.

"Of course they do what they do. They're crazy."

Nuh uh. ISIS is filled to the brim with everyday, perfectly sane people of average intelligence who have been whipped into a frothy mass of hate and violence. To me, they're what we all could be if we lose ourselves in the fervor of an ideal without any thought or reason behind it. To think there has to be something wrong with a person to do terrible things, that this latest hateful group of people to pop up are somehow an exception to everyone else, serves more as a comfortable excuse, rather than an uncomfortable explanation as to why we have ISIS, Nazis, the Klan, The Khmer Rouge, etc. etc. etc.

18. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Jeez, I wonder who has the job of administering IQ tests to ISIS members.

Unless, of course, there's the master list of ISIS members so it would be easy to check their histories.

Bet a lot of intelligence agencies would like to get a copy of that list.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This guy needs to go. What a ridiculous statement.

20. vrDrew, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015

vrDrew macrumors 65816

Quite how the ill-advised Tweets of a candidate for the Minnesota State Legislature are supposed to be worthy of discussion, I'm not quite sure.

But I'll guess its because scared and confused people will do anything that somehow squares events they don't understand with a paranoid and bewildered weltanschuung. Its why a discussion of a terrorist attack in France inevitably comes around to a discussion about the growth of the National Debt in the United States.

IOW: Conservatives are proven conclusively wrong time and again; so to make themselves feel better they change the subject. Its like immigration: You can't ever prove that no immigrant will ever, at any time in the future, commit a crime or receive Government benefits. Ergo - in the paranoid brain - all immigration is bad.

Getting back to the incident in Paris: Some person with a vague connection to the Democratic Party (and by extension to President Obama) makes an ill-considered and out-of-context Tweet. Therefore, all Democrats are guilty of reckless disregard for the safety of Americans; who are in imminent danger of being murdered in their beds by the thousands of Syrian refugees who haven't come here yet.

Thats the sort of thinking that lead to the creation of this thread. Its impossible to have a rational discussion of a complex issue with individuals who think like that.

21. FieldingMellish Suspended

I'm sorry, but the thread is solely about one man's tweet, not a wholesale indictment of a party, as is typical on the left.

To help clarify its relevance, the tweet is noteworthy for its breathtaking cluelessness from a person in a responsible position.

Kind of like what we hear from our President, who proclaimed the day before the Paris attack that Isis has been contained. (Notwithstanding, how or why mere containment is a goal, but that is another topic.)

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

I was refering to those we know of.

I think if is safe to assume the rest of the bunch is made up of similar cave people, morons and maniacs.

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

At least he doesn't believe an island will tip over if you put too many people on it.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Actually there is a point to be made here. As soon as we put a label to IS war criminals, like John Kerry calling them 'psychopaths', it affects how we think about how to deal with them. Calling IS 'evil' suggest that they enjoy violence, but actually the evidence is that they use violence as a means of creating political changes that they view as being more just than the West. In effect, they are calculating about killing (or at least their leaders are). If we want to change their behaviour we have to make them rethink that calculation, and calling them names won't help.

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Of all people, Charles Schulz put it best when Charlie Brown screwed something up and told Lucy he thought he was doing the right thing. Lucy replied, "Charlie Brown, in the history of the world, no greater damage has been done than by people who 'thought they were doing the right thing'."

How does explanation = semi-agreement?

Never mind the baloney about moral relativism and this guy representing all liberals...what party?