Minor scarches on iPhone 6 out of the box

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tiger8, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

So I finally got my new black iPhone 6

While I was holding it I noticed there's are small tiny scratches on the lower edge of the phone, right where the metal meets the glass. It's like it was scratched maybe while being assembled and the glass is sitting 'on top' of the scartches. They feel more like chipped paint than scratches.

It's only visible when you hold the phone in a given angle. It doesn't actually bother me, but my question is, will this make it prone to rust or additional chipping in the future? Should I replace it?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If it bothers you take it back.

If you were planning on putting a case on it, then don't worry

3. arliu macrumors regular

4. 617aircav Suspended

Seriously though, that's your decision. I would.

5. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

If it were me, I would be taking it back. It's your call, though.

6. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

When I get a defective device I just take it back and Apple swaps it out.

7. zoonyx macrumors 6502

I had a 6 plus with a couple of stratches near the speaker at the top. I was adamant I hadn't done it, and they appeared to be under the final layer too.

Apple store swapped it straight away - I was honest with them but also worried they'd just say I'd done it.

As the one scratch, despite being hardly visible, was onto the screen area I definitely wanted to swap it.

8. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I would return it and then put a case on it cause scratches will effect future resale value of it:D

9. Stanick macrumors regular

Stanick

10. Tiger8 thread starter macrumors 68020

Great points, thanks guys.

I think I will take it this weekend. There is no way I could have done the scratch myself! It's literally sitting under the glass, only visible when you tilt the phone to a certain angle. It's definitely something that's already there out of the box.

I know it sounds vain, but honestly, I am paying $750 for the phone, and that's a lot of money for me. I would expect it to be top-notch

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This seems like an easy decision that didn't need discussion. New phone is scratched out of the box, take it back. No one was going to convince you to just accept it and you know it.