Minor Water Damage to Early 2011 Macbook Pro, what can I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nikola hesla, Jan 28, 2013.

1. nikola hesla macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I spilled a bottle of green tea-lemonade on my keyboard last week and am having some issues now. Immediately after the spill, I unplugged the AC cord, powered the computer off, removed the back panel (while letting the keyboard drain) and removed as many easily accessable items as possible (unplugged battery, removed HDD, removed optical drive, removed RAM, etc) to get ventilation to the logic board. I let it set 72Hrs in front of a fan to dry it all out. After that, I turned the computer on and everything seemed completely normal. After about an hour of use, I got a crash report (don't have it saved, unfortunately). Every few hours after that it continued to crash so I figured the logic board indeed had damage to it. That night, I removed the logic board from the computer and saw there was some dried sugary stickiness on the left speaker (which is mounted to the logic board), but didn't see any liquid on the actual logic board. I think I'm safe to assume there IS some liquid on it though, because the speaker was mounted directly on top of it. The computer is working fine now and I haven't had an error or crash yet (after a few hours of use), but it irks me to know that my logic board may be corroding as we speak. I don't want to sink much money into this machine, as it is not THAT nice of a computer and I would prefer to just revamp my desktop and use that instead. What do you guys suggest? I have thought about cleaning the logic board myself, but really don't want to damage it any farther, as I am not a computer technician (just a physics student who is very handy with my hands). Anyone have any suggestions? Do you think it will in deed crash again permanently? Should I attempt to sell it since it is still working? (I really don't want to screw someone over on ebay with a computer that fails after 2 months). PLEASE HELP!

If you look closely, you can see the coagulated sugary syrup on the speaker: http://i.imgur.com/1nfUy2E.jpg

2. Liquid Spill macrumors newbie

liquid spill help

I know it's sad but all the symptoms points to the liquid did reach the logic board. If it's any consolation, It can be cost-effectively repaired without the usual replacement of the entire board with our liquid repair service.