Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natasha69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
i had the atv hooked up via airport extreme. comcast cable modem, gigabit ethernet internal network, and the download for the movie was taking forever. maybe 1% every 5-10 minutes (this was for a non-HD rental, English Patient). i ended up throwing a switch behind the ATV and connecting an ethernet cable. now i'm getting about 1% every 30 - 60 seconds (this was for an HD rental).

the movie does want to play after 2 minutes (with ethernet cable), but just curious what speed others are seeing? In relative units of measure, %/minute, and specify whether you were downloading an HD movie or non HD. I realize the speed in these units depends on the size of the movie.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
I rented Live Free or Die Hard in HD.

I have 15 Mbps downstream FIOS. It took probably 30 seconds to start playing and about 2 hours to download. I have 802.11g wireless ethernet.

osuejm

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
I rented the Invisible, took 30 minutes to get to where I could play and 2.5 hours to download the whole movie. I have a 1.5Mbps DSL connection.

I am connected via ethernet cable. I have wireless but it is slower.

kbunch

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Being on wireless vs. wired connection does not matter. The bottle neck is your internet connection. G wireless is 54 MB half duplexed, so that means you can send or receive for about 22 MB. If you have an internet connection that is faster then 22 MB then the wired would make a difference. Was there a difference in time when you tried wired vs. wireless? You said you were on cable so it might be related to how much of a hit you are taking in your speed during peak time.

My speed..

7 MB cable about 2 min to buffer an HD movie, "300". Not sure how long it took to download the whole thing.
I have my ATV connected via ethernet cable to my Linksys wireless internet router. I have it setup like that for faster sync times with my MacBook, plus I have the router in my AV cabinet anyways. When I initially synced I plugged the laptop directly into the Linksys router so I could get 100 MB full duplex.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.