Mirroring on a 1080p tv from 1440p ends up with part of the screen cut off.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Zellio, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

I was hoping to play a racing game on my 50" tv, but part of the display cuts off when I mirror the main display. Is there a reason for this?

2. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Not positive. It might be a TV setting. Many TVs used to have a setting that crops of part of the picture. In broadcast images sometimes the edges had artifacts so cropping improved the image. If you try to show a computer display on a TV with this setting part of the image will be cropped.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

4. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Let me present a better-quality image (I've made it with a direct HDMI framegrabber):

[​IMG]

(source article: TUTORIAL: Why does your TV Out Picture Have a Black Border and How can it be Fixed? )

----------

Are you sure you want to play a racing game wirelessly via AirPlay? Well, I don't think you'll like the lag, which, according to my own measurements, is around 130-150 ms and pretty much making playing even racing games a very bad experience...

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Yup. 1440 > 1080. If you don't want cropping then don't mirror from a higher resolution.

6. Irishman macrumors 68030

It's because you haven't set the resolution of your mac to the resolution of your HDTV. There are only two possible outcomes when you output a non-native resolution to an HDTV:

1. It will crop your output to fit
    2. It will stretch it to fit

Change your Mac's resolution to 1920x1080 and try again.

7. Zellio thread starter macrumors 65816

Zellio

I did adjust the Mac to 1080p beforehand, the screen still did it. I'll try adjusting overscan.