Misaligned / Crooked Keys – Late 2008 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by korpanopoly, Oct 27, 2008.

1. korpanopoly macrumors newbie

Ladies and Gentleman,

I have a quick inquiry relating to certain misaligned / crooked keys on the MacBook Pro I purchased on the weekend. Per the subject line of this post, I am inquiring about the late 2008 version of the MacBook Pro.

Let me start by saying that I have searched the forums looking for information about this topic, however aside from a couple of threads which mention the issue in passing (along with a list of other complaints), I found nothing.

I am curious if there is anyway to fix / realign these crooked keys. Specifically, I am talking about a few of the F-keys (a widely noted problem) and the enter / return key on my MBP.

Can the keys be removed and then reinstalled so at to fix this problem?

Anyone with any information, insight or experience would be much appreciated.

It is worth noting here that other than these aforementioned cosmetic keyboard-related issues, I love this new MacBook Pro (for what it's worth).

Thank you.

Jody

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I believe if you tinker about with it, you might end up voiding your warranty entirely. Don't forget you've paid a lot of money for that thing and you deserve a machine that's 100% satisfactory. Apple might say it's within spec but if the user/owner ain't happy, you ain't happy.

Honestly.. If your not happy with your purchase, just return the damn thing to an AppleStore and get a exchange (assuming you got it from an actual store) If you check your receipt, you might discover you have a 14day refund/exchange.

:rolleyes:

3. korpanopoly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the reply, UltraNEO*.

I did purchase the notebook from an AppleStore. Unfortunately, I live in Calgary (Canada) and we only have one Apple store. I already exchanged the first notebook I purchased as there was a scratch / mark on screen (behind the glass if you can believe it). I feel a little odd going in there a second time to exchange it again especially considering that most of the demo models have the same issue (misaligned keys).

I guess that one can expect to encounter such issues when purchasing version 1.0 of a new release. I was just hoping that there would be an easy remedy.

Thanks again for your input, UltraNEO*.

Jody

4. delude macrumors 6502

I spoke to an Apple employee on the store site (via the chat) and all they had to say about the crooked keys is 'We are unaware of any problems regarding the new MacBook Pros'.

I hope you get yours sorted, and I also hope that mien wont have this issue! (Are there people without the crooked keys?)

5. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

I took mine into the Apple Store this weekend and the genius didn't seem to be aware of the issue. He did confirm that none of the display models had the same problem.

A new top case with keyboard assembly was ordered. Apparently they're going to replace that instead of the entire laptop.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Doesn't matter how many times you go back. I can tell you there are users on this forum with more than 10 returns!! i myself have had 8 MacBookPro's before I found one I'm satisfied with.

My tip is this...

Goto the store again and before you leave test the bleeding thing out! Make sure your 100% happy, if not, make a fuss, get it changed again! It'll save on you lots of gas, time and frustration.

I'm quite sure Apple are aware there are manufacturing issues but perhaps they simply don't care? Cause the manufacturing cost is so low, compared to when they used to be built in Ireland, Taiwan or USA.

I don't want to sound racist, or nowt... But China can make/assemble lots of "B rated" products but with strict quality control, they're almost perfect!! Almost! If they were PERFECT, users wouldn't be returning stuff and they wouldn't be failing!!

I remember a time when every single Macintosh was perfect! Faulty, mis-aligned, scratched or damaged returns were practically non-existent but we was paying much more then.

7. megamouse macrumors member

It's not racist, it's a fact. Most factory workers come from rural areas where they only manage to finish (crap) secondary school.

While working on your MBP's assembly lines, they have little sense of responsibility.

Train they like you would train German technicians, you will then have high QC.

Unfortunately for us, that would cost too much :eek: for Apple or its OEMs

Remember the sin of pure capitalism? Making near perfect MBP is never on the top of the agenda