Miss America 2014 winner is of Indian descent vs US Political views

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Sep 16, 2013.

1. PracticalMac, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Nina Davuluri an American born of Indian parents won the Miss America 2014 pageant.

In her pageant routine she did an Indian like Bollywood dance.

How does her win reflect on the changing ethnicity and "melting pot" of America (let alone the willingness to see media from other cultures)?
    How will it effect Republicans (since they seem to be mostly stuck in White Anglo)?

Where I live in wealthy and well off Sugarland/Missouri City, TX (next to Houston), Indians and Chinese combined are almost the majority.
    (This is a Republican strong hold, but I suspect not for long).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT:
    Looking at the link posted by RDOWNS below really makes me sad.
    Seems that many Americans equate any dark skin to a terrorist or someone who will take jobs from white people.
    Sad.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's cool and all being the first of Indian descent, but at the end of the day, she's the winner of a borderline sexist show that only really exists to give us endless entertainment from some of the stupid things that come out of the contestants mouths, like in Iraq everywhere such as.

Some of the racist comments by people on Twitter and other places have been absolutely disgusting, however.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

My initial reaction was, "You mean they still hold that contest?!?!"

But, now that it looks like every small town high school cheerleader in Georgia is upset about it, my reaction is different. I'm glad that these impressionable young girls are getting a (slightly) different perspective.

5. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

I think she's beautiful.
    I don't really care where her ancestors came from.

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

It does not change anything. There will always be people REGARDLESS of political affiliation that will hate this.

Nina was born here and is an American regardless of race. I'm 100% fine with her winning and I'm a WHITE REPUBLICAN. But i was rooting for Miss Kansas :D http://www.ijreview.com/2013/09/793...hunter-mechanic-us-army-sergeant-miss-kansas/

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It just goes to show how many truly bigoted people we still have in this country--and then you realize that they have an influence on U.S. politics.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not sure if anyone watches this besides old people now?

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Not that there would be anything wrong with it if she were Middle Eastern, but I'm amazed at the amount of people who can't differentiate an Indian from an Arab. So many of the buzz feed comments were calling her an Arab and mentioning 9/11. It was absolutely hideously ignorant.

10. PracticalMac, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I was not saying anything about HATE, was not the purpose of this discussion.

I was just posing a question as this is an example of Americas changing attitude, and can the Republicans/Conservative change.

OH!!
    Now I see what you mean, Miss Kansas.

[​IMG]

11. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Just so sad how ignorant people can be...

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

No, sexism is a long, long way from dead in US. Just take a look at the sidelines of any football game, millions of American men are just fine with drooling over emaciated women. And in some of the fundamentalist-dominated communities, the attitude amongst the locals is something like "have you beaten your wife today?"

We still have quite a ways to go.

13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

It's been hinted at a couple of times here, but the bigger issue here is the message this gives to young women.

If I believed pageants, every woman has the capability of looking the same if they put their minds to it or some garbage.

Some of the fittest people in the world are shown in the below link.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/10-hottest-and-fittest-women-2013-reebok-crossfit-games

The first and most obvious comment about them all is that they are all different. Nearly every measurement on their body is different from "skinny". Yet they are all admirable and beautiful. I'm not saying every woman should weight lift, but man, every woman is different, and I'm convinced 100% that is a good thing.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

In a nation of 270,000,000+ people there are bound to be idiots and ignorant buffoons.

I think the pageant is more a spectacle than something worthwhile, but FWIW I have no issue with her ethnic origin whatsoever. More power to her.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Just makes me so proud to be an American...

(Yes, for those in doubt...that was irony.)

Yes, us old people are so dumb, we all watch it and love it.

(There's that irony again)

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

It's not only ignorance. There's a lot of pure stupidity mixed in there as well. My view on it is that the bigots in this country need to be put in their place. The more things like this happen the better.

17. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-millions-of-courageous-americans-overcoming,33669/?ref=auto

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I guess the most important question is whether she can help me get my printer working

:rolleyes: