Miss America, no swimsuit or gown competitions

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

2. Zenithal macrumors 604

You can still judge on appearance and character without having contestants wear a skimpy suit.

3. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The article states they won't judge on appearance. I didn't watch before but I can't imagine who would watch now.

4. Zenithal macrumors 604

What they claim and what they will actually do are very different. In the same manner I don't know what someone looks like 90% nude but can judge their appearance easily. I'll believe their words when and if they crown a severely obese individual as the winner, who won based on their honesty and whatever drivel they claim.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Just judge them on their intelligence. Like this pageant does:

6. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

7. Huntn, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

In it's defense it used to be a beauty pageant. Without much thinking about it, this was from the days of double standards, sexism, women in the kitchen, etc, where the primary goal of women was to find a good husband to take care of them, and to be put up on platters to be appreciated like birds in a gilded cage. And if you lived live in the wrong culture, you were are made to wear a bag in public to keep males from lusting after you. :(
    Today that would be sexist, unless they start up a male hansome pageant. ;) But giving out awards for natural beauty does seen to be a bit old fashioned.

8. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

No swimsuit? Well, they just lost 99.9% of the male viewers.

9. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

lol skimpy? It’s a fashionable bikini and in some cases a one piece.

Just goes to show where the country is heading. It’s a beauty pageant.

I’m not a fan of them, but now they just turned it into something that it’s not.

This is just as bad as renaming the Boy Scouts imo.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah I don't really care what they do. But judging appearance from just the neck up seems a little boring.

11. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Probably 100%.

12. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Why not keep the swimwear category, but just require them to wear a burkini?

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So...what? Without the swimsuits and evening gowns, is this going to turn into some sort of verbal essay contest? Will they still have to have pretty faces, or are more average women going to be permitted to compete?

Better question: why are we trying to preserve this at all? This always was a shallow beauty contest, and such things are deservedly becoming a relic of the past. Just put a stake in this pageant and end it already.

14. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Especially considering the fact that pretty much every contestant on there has below room temperature IQ.

15. 0002378 Suspended

LOL ... LOL ... LOL
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2018 ---
    Does that mean that contestants in the tropics are more intelligent ;) :p
    Oh man, that made my evening. Thank you.
    I bet these people who are outraged at skimpy bikinis are the first to Google "XYZ sex tape" when a celeb sex tape is released.

My, what a world :p

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I’m a heterosexual male, I find women attractive, but there’s something just disgusting, wrong, and artificial about beauty pageants or whatever they want to pretend these competitions are going to be.

Remember that reality TV show probably 15 years or so ago called “The Swan” where women would have plastic surgery and then compete in a beauty pageant amongst each other. After like 2 seasons the show got pulled because people realized it was super unethical. It’s almost amazing that show ever made it into production, especially by today’s standards.

17. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

True, but don't forgot it appeals directly to humans most basic instinct and compulsion.

(thinks a bit)
    IMHO:
    A woman on stage is not wrong in itself.
    A women with expertly applied makeup, perfectly quaffed hair, and thousands of $$$ of jewelry on stage is.

Difference is a woman as a woman, and a woman as an object, a full size Barbie doll.

Intelligence should be highlighted, but health by good diet (not dieting) and exercise to show it takes work to look attractive, not a few dabs of makeup. It takes brains and discipline to be physically fit.

...more or less.

18. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Those exist though, don't they? Kind of makes sense to lose a lot of your clothes at a beauty pageant. Not that I personally care about such events. But I would kind of expect my physical attractiveness and not my intelligence or character to be judged there.

misteritalia.jpeg

Miss-grand-prix-620x330.jpg

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

This is sending the wrong message. Women can wear bikinis and be respected. The media and this whole feminist movement is making things to be one way or the other.

IMO, a women that takes care of her body shows a piece of her character. Granted some of these women just have good genes and probably eat what they want and barely workout, but a women should be encouraged to be proud of her own physical beauty.

20. tkermit, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018

tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

I would say beauty, for the most part, is something that's given to you and thus not something I would personally consider worthy of pride, regardless of your gender. On the other hand, people are proud of their nationality, noble descent, intelligence and other attributes they've had to do little or no work for in order to obtain them, so why not beauty, too. In itself, it really isn't much of an accomplishment though to be very intelligent or beautiful. But, hey, more power to anyone who specifically wants to be judged on their physical beauty.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Having pride of your beauty doesn't have to be an accomplishment in itself, but it should not be an issue to be used in a competitive nature.

22. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I got $10k that says these women like showing off their assets and they think this is stupid.

What is it I heard the other day...Miss America is the girl next door you want, but can’t get. Miss USA is the girl you want next door but momma says you can’t have.

23. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

That's my question also.
    Torpedo the whole thing if you ask me.

24. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Yes but they said they are not judging on appearance now.

25. Zenithal macrumors 604

Yes, and pigs can fly.