Miss Beverly Hills Defends Antigay Remarks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Feb 26, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Meet the new Carrie Prejean.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/02/26/Miss_Beverly_Hills_Defends_Antigay_Statements/

2. Surely Guest

Surely

"Um, well..."

Awesome.

How can she be Miss Beverly Hills? Lauren Ashley? Doesn't seem Jewish or Persian (or a combo of the two), which is a prerequisite for living in BH.;)

Self-appointed?

What a winner.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm wondering how, from the looks, she got into a beauty contest in the first place.

To quote a good friend, "That face would make a freight train take a dirt road." :)

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I thought this was about her position on gay marriage, not her ethnicity or her "looks" :confused:

5. Surely Guest

Surely

I was making a joke, hence the ;)

:)

I live adjacent to BH, have family and friends that live there, and spend a lot of time there (and I'm Jewish). My comment/joke is based on my experiences there, nothing more. BH is known for its large Persian-Jewish community.

Self-appointed though? Maybe I should appoint myself the King of Westwood, and start giving news interviews too..... having a beauty pageant title doesn't make you an expert on everything....

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Jesus never spoke a word about homosexuality. Hhe was vocal about divorce but not gay marriage. But I wouldn't consider a beauty pageant queen to be an authority on the subject anyway. You should challenge her to find where Jesus said homosexuality is a bad thing and why it should be banned. Let her do some reading.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey- do you have anything to add, or do you just wanna be critical of other posters and be the thought police? Yeah, it was a joke. Get over it. And you sit and wonder what we're complaining about...

Honestly, it's about both. Why is this person with views this repulsive given the spotlight? And how did she get there in the first place?

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I did add something, I tried to get YOUR thread back on topic
    I do know what you are complaining about... anyone that doesn't agree with you

What does her being "repulsive" have to do with her position on gay marriage?
    Other than to have a laugh at her expense?
    And besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Challenge her position on the issue instead of just laughing at her

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

First of all, I didn't say she was repulsive, I said her views were. Don't misrepresent my words. I'm getting very tired of that around here.

Secondly, anyone who says gays should be killed deserves ridicule. How else do you challenge that? Seriously.

And if you don't like the thread, don't post. Better yet, report it. You're not a mod and it's not your business to tell me or anyone else to do anything.

10. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Fair point really. Kinda sad when talking points get derailed by bitchy comments about looks and stuff.

She seems to be a product of the church, and I bet there's a lot more church goers that share her point of view which is probably why she feels backed up enough to stand her ground against her publicist and not wholey retract what she said as many people under heat do. She probably has a lot of family and friends patting her on the back for saying the 'right' thing.

It's like arresting corner store drug dealers. Pointless, a new one will pop up the next day. You got to go to the source.

Yes, I just compared the church to drug dealing :D Bring it.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How long before the sex tapes start to show up on TMZ? :cool:

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't think the thread needs reporting at all

But I think you have misrepresented HER words
    You said, "anyone who says gays should be killed deserves ridicule"
    I would agree, but she didn't say that, in fact, she said the opposite
    She is saying in fact that the Bible shouldn't be taken literally on the killing part

And no, I am not a Mod, just a friendly poster in the PRSI that happens to disagree with some things

Probably not long I am sure

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Yeah really. I bet this girl saw how Prejean was able to use her infamy to stand out from the crowd and make some money, and figured that since she shares the same controversial views, she would do the same.

14. Queso macrumors G4

As Beverley Hills have distanced themselves from her, saying she's from Pasadena and stating that BH don't even hold beauty pageants, I hereby christen her Miss Tea Party :)

Doesn't do much to combat stereotypes though does she? ;)

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The media will never learn. They just keep making 'stars' of these twats. She'll get chewed up and spit out like Prejean was.

EDIT: What mactastic said. :D

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Oh, look, another notional prostitute wants to stake out some moral high ground. How cute.

I don't think people who stress how technically they should kill you but they elect not to for whatever reason should be given points for their ethics.

If a guy came up to you and said, "in my daddy's day, we would have dragged you down to the creek and nobody would have ever found you, but we don't do things that way anymore, so you have a real nice day now," would you thank him for his commitment to nonviolence?

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Um... well...

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am not attempting to defend her position, only the fair statement of it

I am just as disturbed by attention-whores who use a controversial statement to gain notoriety and $$ as I am by the media who makes a 15 minute celebrity out of someone who clearly has no idea what they are talking about.

19. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

And in fairness to Lee's statement, she did in fact say that gays deserve to die. She just demurred over the point of actually doing it.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You're a cynical one. I like you.

"Why thank you for not killing me and hiding the body. What a nice guy all-around. Maybe I should buy a house by the body creek so that I can sit on the porch and think about all those nice people who haven't decided to kill me."

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This is as close to saying she's repulsive as you can get without actually saying "She looks repulsive."

Her views are, of course, repulsive.

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I see that there is now a formula to get your name/face into the headlines if you're a beauty contestant.

23. Surely Guest

Surely

Damn right.:p

It'll be interesting to see how far this fame-play takes her. Hopefully no further than Gordon Tokumatsu of the local LA news......

24. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Probably not far at all, I think the formula is wearing very thin
    Copy cats rarely go as far as the original

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It was quoted in my OP. I think Gelfin's post illustrates perfectly exactly what she means. It's a thinly veiled way of saying something. It's saying it without saying it, and that's a load of crap.

And I'm wondering, are we no longer allowed to make jokes on MR? Is that what's going on now?