Miss California: Gay marriage answer cost me Miss USA crown

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well- this is interesting. I'm certainly no fan of Perez Hilton, but I certainly understand why he did what he did. Substitute the word "gay" for "jew" or "catholic" and see how that sounds.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ny-etmiss2112675670apr20,0,2777847.story

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Im surprised someone who is 21 is still living in the last century, i honestly feel sorry for her, she's missing out on so much in life having such a narrow mind.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

She definitely got the attention she wanted. Now no one cares who won the crown.

4. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

While she was certainly more articulate than contestants in the past, she doesn't appear to be any more educated.

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I liked how she said "opposite marriage". :D So funny.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow! I missed that! :D

7. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

Does approval for same-sex marriages come in package with education in USA?

8. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

The whole quote:

"We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage," Prejean said. "And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."

Not the brightest bulb in the bunch. There is sooooo much wrong with this statement.

9. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Only in that prejudice lives hand-in-hand with ignorance.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I honestly don't understand who can idolize any of these pathetic shells of people. The entire pageant is nothing but vanity.

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'd say she probably has quite a few fans across the country at the moment. Very well played on her part. I'd say she knew exactly what she was doing. She's going to be all over the media for quite some time, I imagine. :(

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So, you would interfere with her own family life??

Hardly welcoming of difference of opinion.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm...you conveniently neglected to bold "in my country". Like I said, substitute the word for "jew" or "catholic' and tell me how that statement is acceptable.

14. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

She's an idiot, its quite sad.

No offense meant, Lee - but I think the less said about her the better. She's not of any importance so trying to make an example of her won't get any of us very far.

This is partly fuelled by my frustration of hearing about her the past 2 days from almost every media outlet - and I don't even live in the USA.

My friend is Miss Wales here in the UK, and she's far more articulate and would never, ever dream of saying anything so stupid - b/c she's intelligent and lives in the modern day, and is accepting and understanding.

This girl condemned half of her "public".

Also..

I'd be screwed. Twice over. Gay and Jewish. Oops!

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Agreed.

If she had said "In my country, or rather in my family....", there would have been less concern.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

And the other half thinks she's a hero. It scares the crap out of me. She's going to be viewed positively by a lot of people. They're going to use this to their advantage. "See! Now you can't even be against gay marriage and win Miss USA! We're being discriminated against!" Trust me- it's coming.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

She could barely string a full sentence together, there's no way she could use any of that fancy talk.

18. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Who's interfering? Is someone in her family forced to get same-sex married?

What's wrong with the statement is:

1. You don't choose what sex you're are attracted to.

2. In this land, in most states you can't choose same-sex marriage because it isn't legal.

3. Opposite marriage? What is that?

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

And another martyr is born. Must we give her the publicity she so obviously seeks?

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I dont understand how she could be miss CALIFORNIA of all states....

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

At least she isn't Miss San Francisco. ;)

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is her brain really unique here? What part of the entire beauty pageant world is not living in the last century?

23. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

Would she been ignorant, she wouldn't have any opinion on the same-sex marriage at all.
    Let's just shift the balance of what she said from the still-controversial same-sex marriage to something more common. Wearing seatbelts. I am not trying to compare the two things, they are totally different (however both are somehow important for lives of millions of people) and I do not want to depreciate same-sex marriage at all. Better yet I won't disclose my own opinion on it, since it is irrelevant.
    But just for a mental exercise: let's say she was from Kentucky and not California, it's been not a beauty contest but a job interview at NHTSA, and she's been asked if not using seatbelts should be punished with a lifelong driver license suspension. She answers:

"We live in a land where you can choose using your seatbelts or not using them. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that seatbelts should only be used by those who want to do so. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."

Most sane people would agree: ridiculous b/s, since it is scientifically proven: seatbelts save lives. BUT: she'd had a choice - saying something that would sell at NHTSA HQ's or saying something she believes in.
    If NHTSA wouldn't hire her because of this exact sentence being said (and only this sentence alone, not other abilities - after all, she was 100% qualified for a beauty queen) - she'd sue NHTSA and probably win. Nobody can be discriminated for his personal beliefs (as long, as they are not a danger to other people, so criminal activity is exempted). See a parallel to the beauty contest you mentioned?
    So, as I see it - she has been labeled as "narrow minded" (and in the meantime while I was writing it, also "an idiot", geeez) because she said the truth about herself, and not something the public wanted to hear. I haven't seen something like that coming from a country where freedom of having personal beliefs and freedom of being able to communicate them is one of the fundaments of the State.
    The fact that someone is disappointed by not hearing what (s)he wanted to hear does not justify applying a rude and brutal label to another persons' forehead. It's just not right to exercise own freedom without allowing other people doing the same.

Oh, and by the way to the OP: AFAIK "Jew" should be written with a capital J. Also, putting "catholic" instead of "gay" just doesn't work with the rest of the sentence. You'd have to substitute a lot more in what she said to make this substitution work, which of course would destroy the whole parallel.
    And "in my country" is actually an effect of herself using (probably without even knowing what she did) a number of rhetorical techniques aimed to add an emphasis that she's talking about "America AS I WOULD WANT it to be".

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh she'll be playing the martyr role for all it's worth.

Face it, you weren't hot enough to win. Tough. You certainly weren't going to win on brains.

25. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Exactly.

She has no real power or influence. Sure, for a small percentage of people (before someone chimes in with "all the Gay haters will love her" - that's not true. They'd have to watch the pageant, or look on Perez Hilton or other sources covering this, I should imagine most people in the same mind set as her don't look at these media outlets in the first place) she might be seen as the light carrying martyr. She's here today and gone tomorrow. She's pretty legs and a big mouth.

Making an example of this girl will achieve nothing except give Perez Hilton more bragging rights on his determination to become a celebrity in his own right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.