Miss Family Values Strikes Again!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Right-wing pundit Ann Coulter referred to the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show performance featuring singers Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake as "simulated interracial sex," claimed that college professors make controversial statements to get "laid by coeds with hairy armpits who probably don't like men," and called the presence of "girls" in the military "appalling" -- all in one night of cable news appearances.

On the February 7 edition of FOX News' Hannity & Colmes, Coulter criticized ads that aired during the 2005 Super Bowl, saying, "this is juvenile, 4-year-old humor," and added: "And last year's Super Bowl show, ooh, simulated interracial sex." During the 2004 performance, Timberlake ripped a piece of Jackson's clothing, briefly exposing one of her breasts in what Timberlake later called a "wardrobe malfunction."

On the February 7 edition of MSNBC's Scarborough Country, appearing alongside host and former Representative Joe Scarborough (R-FL) and Republican strategist Karen Hanretty to discuss University of Colorado professor Ward Churchill's comparison of some victims of the World Trade Center terrorist attacks to Nazis, Coulter commented: "These guys [college professors] want to go around acting like big radicals, getting laid by coeds with hairy armpits who probably don't like men, by going to conferences and saying, 'Oh, yes, I'm the one who said that.'"

Later in the same segment, Coulter responded to a question from Scarborough about the military's recent demotion of a female U.S. soldier in Iraq for indecent exposure during a mud wrestling party: "I would like a United States military capable of winning wars, which will not involve sending girls to do fighting." Coulter concluded: "And, yes, I think it's appalling that these women are mud wrestling, but I think it's appalling that they are in the military."
http://mediamatters.org/items/200502080002

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
That phrase...

"interracial sex"

hints at a darker aspect to Ms. Coulter's views...

You know, I'd never heard of this woman until I joined MR. She has zero recognition in European media except on name terms alone...

Where has she come from? The Fifties?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Blue Velvet said:
"interracial sex"

You know, I'd never heard of this woman until I joined MR. She has zero recognition in European media except on name terms alone...

If you mean the 1650's then yes.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Peterkro said:
What is the thing about women not shaving = lesbian.
She obviously hasn't been to Greece or the South of Italy...

*Blue Velvet re-examines her own armpits & sexuality*

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Blue Velvet said:
She obviously hasn't been to Greece or the South of Italy...

*Blue Velvet re-examines her own armpits & sexuality*
I'd guess she's probably not terrible welcome outside the US. She has a long history of these kinds of comments.

Edit: Vintage Coulter, and my favorite of her many witty observations...
We know who the homicidal maniacs are. They are the ones cheering and dancing right now.

We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
takao said:
brawhahaha .... i wonder why she still gets airtime...
Are you kidding? She's like the Howard Stern of the pundit world. Shock value, totally.

I'm not surprised she's nearly unheard of outside of the US. I can't believe (actually, I *can* believe) that people take her seriously over here. She's just a vicarious way for the clueless to vent their frustration.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Blue Velvet said:
"interracial sex"

me neither ... (that and a few few other things like that CNN is considered 'liberal' and not conservative like i thought)

seriously she would have a hard time in the media/press over here with such comments... it would be worth a watch...

pdham

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2003
Madison
Sometimes it is amusingly disheartening or just amusing or just disheartening.... anyway, what some people will say...

But Xtremehkr is dead on. Not even the shows that put her on think she is sane, but ridiculous comments get viewers and viewers beget money. Ahh capatilism

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
As I so tediously observe, over and over and over and... <ahem>

We may all think she's an evil circus clown, but I've yet to hear her xenophobic ranting disowned by Republicans. The sad fact is, she's very much an owned pit bull, and hardly anybody thinks their vicious doggie ought to be put down because it's just too mean to live.

Noting also, that a part of the motivation for her latest spew was the college professor in Colorado who wrote some stupid stuff about 9-11. Now that guy's been all over the media, being generally ripped to shreds, even though nobody had ever heard of him before outside of his cloistered halls. And yet, and yet, Coulter the Caustic gets hours every week on FOX and other places where good sense is just two words in the dictionary to say perfectly lovely things like Muslims who won't covert to Christianity deserve to die (oh, yes she has). And hardly anyone peeps.

Every time I think of it, it's well, just to frigging amazing to think about.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004

Hey little Ann has come a long way from her beginnings in wherever it is you shoot your gun off your front porch.

It's gonna take some time to get those manners down though.

Has she passed the bar or what? cause she is always hyped as a lawyer, but I can't imagine her being a practising one.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Coulter just gets worse and worse. Like Blue Velvet, I'm intrigued by the fact that she specifically mentioned "interracial sex", as if that was something unsavory and perverse. It's also interesting that this chickenhawk doesn't want "girls" in the army....

The fact that Coulter is still on TV reminds me a little bit of Howard Beale, in that you have a venal TV network putting (as they termed it in "Network") a "manifestly insane" person on the air purely for the ratings that such a freak show will draw. That's the network (Fox). Coulter herself is, of course, very unlike Howard Beale in that, insane or not, Beale spoke the utter truth, whereas Coulter has probably never had an honest thought in her entire life.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
And the other, even more important difference is, I don't think any of Coulter's fans regard her as a mental train wreck. The Beale character in Network was clearly off his rocker, but in an interesting way that people just couldn't avoid watching. Everything sells on TV was the message, I believe. Ann Coulter is more of a garden-variety demagogue, in the tradition of Father Caughlin. And where is the outrage?

BTW, according to my morning paper, the professor in Colorado now feels the need to have bodyguards.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
pseudobrit said:
Holy crap! She's left handed!
I've acutally seen a version of that picture (on Coulter's website, I believe) that was flipped horizontally. So, I'm not sure she is a lefty.

Which is probably good for her sanity, actually. Given her hysterical attitude towards the left, she would probably take being lefty-handed pretty hard.

Crazy woman.

Taft

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Taft said:
I've acutally seen a version of that picture (on Coulter's website, I believe) that was flipped horizontally. So, I'm not sure she is a lefty.

Which is probably good for her sanity, actually. Given her hysterical attitude towards the left, she would probably take being lefty-handed pretty hard.

Crazy woman.

Taft
Thanks for comforting me. Being a lefty, I tend to take pride in my hand. I sure as heck don't want to associate my pride with that hag.

wwworry

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2002
New York's Upper East side is filled with these pampered blonds whose only job is to shop all day long, bitching and moaning about the help. It's the only place where you'll see a line outside of a movie theater at 2:30 in the afternoon and the store that sells fancy paper is completely packed. This is where Ann Coulter comes from.