Miss Teen USA under fire for allegedly using N-word

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

"The newly crowned Miss Teen USA is coming under fire for an alleged history of racist tweets.
    Hours after Miss Texas Teen USA Karlie Hay was named the winner of the beauty pageant in Las Vegas on Saturday night, commentators began referencing old tweets featuring the N-word from Hay's now-private personal account."

Whoops, Guess she should have cleaned up that account before the
    pageant.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...a-under-fire-allegedly-using-n-word/87888744/

2. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

People are offended that she didn't whitewash her history? She said something that was found to be offensive (I can only presume, as I have not seen them), and has grown from it. Instead of leaving history as it is and growing past it, she is supposed to delete it?

As absurd a kerfuffle as the Right to be Forgotten.

3. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Good for the pageant to stand by her. Growth and learning is something we preach daily, but most of the SJW don't actually allow.

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Wait a minute. According to Fox News, racism no longer exists in America so this story must be a hoax.:rolleyes:

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

she owned up to it,

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I agree. Grow from it, pretending it didn't exists resolves absolutely nothing and can only cause worse problems. Just about everybody at one time or another in their past will have said something objectionable, for whatever underlying reason. Often (but not always) people use politically incorrect terms to deliberately upset in return for being upset. That's not right, obviously, and ideally people would stick to the issues. But it is also overblown that all the people truly hate each other solely because the shade of skin is different and nothing else, but it is wrong to resort to using personal traits (either skin color, ethnicity, traits like tics, or anything else). And how to deal with the immature or those unaware of basic civilized standards. Or if they know, then what would compel them to stoop so low to begin with? Generic malice or is there a reason (which doesn't justify it but at least gets actual communication going)?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2016 ---
    Actually, the claim "post-racial" - in America - goes back to either the late 1960s or early 1970s. Might be fun to look up precise details.

7. Zenithal Suspended

And people care about a tart's old words and who won a contest that sells itself with sex why? I'm sure she'll be Donny's future daughter in law.

8. HEK Suspended

HEK

Wasn't racist she meant it in a good way.

9. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

she should know she's not tan enough to use that word and even then, it has to be with an "artistic" flare...:rolleyes: and people really wonder where Stereotyping stems from...

http://es.musicplayon.com/play?v=531902

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Let's persecute teenagers for tweeting the very same word that they hear one thousand times a day on iTunes and on the radio.

The self-righteousness in this thread is deep.

12. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Huh? I don't see many posts persecuting her....

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

because we are only on post 13 in page one, wait till the rest of the liberals wake up ..................
    :p

14. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

OK, but calling people out before something happens....just a weird post to me.

Wait, peaches?.....

15. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

The whole idea that there has become certain words in the English language that only some people can use, while others may not, is absurd.

16. HEK Suspended

HEK

Ahmen...........This is an issue why? You right about the tunes, can't turn radio on without hearing the n word.

Damn can't hardly breathe in this room, that 2000 pound elephant in room taking up all the space. Like show me any teenage blond high school girls that have not talked about the n between themselves. Give me a break, the pretend self righteous noise in here is getting deafening. Need those Bluetooth ear pods from the 7 right now.

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

So your ok someone you don't know calling you baby or lovycakes or some other silly name?

18. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for dinner.

19. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Never say anything online that you wouldn't say in public, in front of parents, yours or other's or practically anyone else. Once it's online, it's practically impossible to be un-netted.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I checked the dates of her tweets (thanks Mac'nCheese) ... and they're two-three years old.

I'll give the kid the benefit of the doubt and the chance to prove she's risen above that past behavior.

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I agree she is young and stupid.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Just keep her away from the tequila ... and everything will be just fine.

23. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Seriously? What self righteous noise? Most posts are like she was young and did something silly and owned up to it.

24. FieldingMellish Suspended