Miss the feel of your 1st Gen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iammike1, Jul 19, 2008.

?

Do you prefer the 1st Gen Body

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    25.4%
  2. No

47 vote(s)
    74.6%
  1. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I'm just curious who all wishes the iPhone 3G had all the new hardware in the 1st Gen body?

I'm one of them. I miss the feel of the metal backing and that same metal feel gives the impression of a much more solid phone then the plastic of the 3G even though my 3G doesn't flex, squeak or anything like that. It's just an impression but it's still there.

Anyway, I'm curious so here's a poll.

2. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

i held my friends white 16gig today and i honestly prefer mine over his. feels kind of cheap and plastic. o wait it is.

3. aphexii macrumors 6502

I actually think the plastic feels sturdier than the aluminum backing of the old iPhone.

That being said, it sure does feel warmer in my hand than the old one.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

God, the new iPhone feels so much better in my hands.

The old iPhone feels like a relic.

5. wronski macrumors 6502

The back of the old iPhone was always ugly in my opinion.

6. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

I never owned an iphone but I thought apple was moving to an all aluminum and glass body structures in their products. The ipods and macs are all starting to get this, why did they take a step back in the iphone? To much people complaining about color options?

7. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

CHEAP plastic? when has it even been even suggested that this plastic is cheap?

I have had an IS on both of my phones, so they both feel pretty much the same. iPhone 3G wins, however, for the curved back. I love it.

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Radio reception, I suspect, is the main reason. Don't forget, there's 2.5G (EDGE), 3G, WiFi, bluetooth and GPS radios in there. The metal backplate reduces the signal strength.

9. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

when i held it in my hand:rolleyes:

10. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I think that the 1st gen is more aestheticlly pleasing but practically thinking the 3G feels nicer in the hand when making calls (I suppose that is what it is for after all!!)

I was worried the black back was giong to be a bit cheap. Whilst it doesnt look as nice it certainly feels fairly good quality.

11. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I decided to stick with my v1 phone and I am so glad I did after playing with both black and white models yesterday. I decided to reserve final judgment until I did so.

Well, the phone looks and feels cheap. I made calls on both models, turning the volume all the way up, and I still could hardly hear the person on the other end. Speaker phone was worse.

I took out my phone, and held the 3G phone in my other hand, and my phone felt much more solid in my hand. I won't even address looks:D

I did not even get even get online as I had seen, and heard, enough. I now have to make darn sure I hang onto my phone and not lose it because I am not sure I would buy a 3G phone to replace it. I would probably get a BB to tide me over until v3

Jude

Jude

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

No I don't because I am still using one along with my 16GB 3G.

Interestingly, my 1st generation is running 2.0 and I am going on three days of battery life since the last charge. The 3G does have a much better speaker as well as earpiece volume than the old one.