Missiles at the Olympics? More likely than you think:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Apr 29, 2012.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

Apparently the UK is considering placing surface to air missiles at a water tower as part of their Olympic security.

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, criticize, or accept that the terrorists have won.

Has Western culture really become this paranoid? Surface to air missiles at the Olympics? Are they expecting WW3? Man I sure hope the terrorists don't manage to steal and arm F-16s to bomb the olympics.

The UK in particular continues to spiral further down the security --> everything mentality.

2. 184550 Guest

I'd rather they be over prepared than underprepared.

Imagine how silly they'd look if a dinky little Huey or similar managed to wreck havoc for ten or fifteen minutes while they scrambled the resources to respond.

3. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

This is London. Have you tried going through Heathrow customs? Makes MAF look lax.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Has the time finally come to pass, that we can consider holding Mecca hostage against further terrorist activities around the World?

Discuss. :rolleyes:

6. skunk, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The publicity will probably be enough for deterrence purposes.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

This all part of the insanity that surrounds the Olympics (and other gatherings G8, G20 and so on).Pre-emptive arrests,hasty hiding of homeless people,chaos at airports and on and on.Their justification is they are short-strike high velocity missiles to target helicopters popping-up and attacking the sites.There will be missile frigates in the Thames and all sorts of crap.Bread and Circus's,and make the population paranoid as you can,you can pull assorts of crap.The "society of the spectacle" indeed.

----------

Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry?

Midlands International Airport,that's an usual acronym.As you were.

8. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

That's what I'm hoping

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think the famous British weather is going to be the big problem, and not terrorism. :D

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Great little book, that. :)

11. iStudentUK, Apr 29, 2012

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Sounds like a sensible precaution to me. The plan to place SAMs has been in place for months, it's just where they go that's being decided.

They are already planning to station a destroyer in the Thames, a team of Royal Marines will be on standby with RIBs so they can respond quickly, the RAF are preparing Eurofighter Typhoons to be on stand by and the SAS will be on standby with helicopters.

The Olympics is going to be probably the world's number one terrorist target for those few weeks. Not only is there the chance of massive loss of life, but a successful terrorist attack would be hugely embarrassing to the UK.

12. citizenzen Suspended

It seems to me to be just one more escalation in the long history of increased security. I'm pretty sure I'd be amazed at the measures already used to protect past Olympic venues, athletes and patrons.

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I particularly liked their attempt to turn the Seine red and float bodies down it (the bodies were no problem the french medicals schools were buying Vietnamese bodies in huge quantities) the plan petered out when the quantity of dye required turned out to be ginormus and they couldn't source it.

Anyone know where the Nimitz will be during the Olympics?

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Time for kids in SE London to practice 'duck and cover'....

15. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

I don't see how those precautions are sensible. What are they going to do with the destroyer? Shoot the cannons in downtown London? What are they going to do with the fighter jets? Shoot down a plane full of innocent people over London if it gets highjacked? :confused:

16. iStudentUK, Apr 29, 2012

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

"When you hear the air attack warning you and your family must take cover."

I live in SE London. Whilst I'm glad for the extra security precautions I feel quite safe as I won't be able to leave my house anyway, due to billions of annoying tourists descending on the TfL* network! God knows how everyone is going to get to work!

(*Transport for London)

The destroyer can provide state of the art military radar and a safe and secure command centre if needed. The RAF already has 4 fighters on 24/7 alert around the country. They are simply adding more around London so they can intercept aircraft before they are over densely populated areas. As distressing as it sounds yes shooting down a hijacked aircraft is a contingency plan that must be considered as an absolute last resort. Another concern is a 'Mumbai' style attack, which could include terrorists using boats on the Thames or helicopters they have hijacked.

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Now we know the true reason why the HMS Belfast museum was closed - they were loading ammunition. :p

[​IMG]

18. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Hopefully I can catch a glimpse of the ship when I visit in June. I'm not visiting for the Olympics. I just happen to be traveling with family during the time.

19. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Regrettably I'm being lifted out of my usual sleepy hollow to help provide security for the Olympics. You'd be surprised at the preparations we're making for them.

20. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Damned if they do, possibly damned if they don't..

21. roofz macrumors regular

I wonder how the US will 1-up Britain on this one...

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Probably can't be too safe. I remember the Atlanta Olympic bombings so it's probably best to not let your guard down.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

embarrassment has never been an issue when sending the english squad to the world cup or EURo tournament so i suspect that is the least concern ;)

24. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Oh dear. As Basil Fawlty said, "Don't mention the war!"

Attached Files:

25. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

The next US based Olympics will be hosted entirely on aircraft carriers.