Missing info from text and phone calls-Bluetooth Honda

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fridaysruby, Sep 24, 2014.

1. fridaysruby macrumors newbie

iPhone 5s (iOS 8) and 2014 Civic EX

I am completely flabbergasted by the issues that I am having with receiving text messages and phone calls through Bluetooth. I was experiencing this issue with iOS 7 as well since I purchased my car late last month.

I can receive phone calls on the system no problem but my issue is that it only displays the phone number of the caller and not my contact even though my address book was uploaded to the system from my phone when I first connected it. Not a huge issue but like many people, I rely on my contact list as I don't recall many phone numbers.

The more serious issue is that when I receive a text message, no information on the sender is received. All I get is the message itself and it does not make a difference whether I am parked or not, the sender information is not displayed or read to me. To me, this renders the function of receiving a text message through the system completely useless. If I have to look at my phone to see who the message is from, why bother? Even giving me the phone number would be of some help. I'm even okay with not being able to auto-reply to the messages through the system given that I can uses Siri.

I spoke with the dealership who weren't much help and even made a formal complaint to Honda who basically told me it was an issue with how iPhones send information to the system. Pretty disappointed to hear this as I was told by the salesperson that the car's system was "optimized for the iPhone 5" and none of these issues appeared when he tested out the system with his Android. I advised the salesperson that having a great system that allows me to communicate while on the road was of utmost importance given how much time I spend on the road. I am coming from a Ford with Sync/MyTouch which would display the name of the person calling/texting me and after seeing the same displayed with an Android, I assumed my Civic would do the same.

Interestingly enough, I did once get sender details from a text that came from a store that I shop at (just a five digit number) but nothing else.

Anybody know why this is happening (I still don't think it's the phone)? Anyone know how to resolve this?

*Keeping my fingers crossed for Carplay*

2. adster macrumors regular

Hi fridaysruby!

I, too, have a 2014 Honda Civic EX but I've been able to get everything working fine on my car, both with an iPhone 5S at iOS7 and iOS8 and with an iPhone 6 Plus on iOS8.

Have you tried deleting the paired phone and re-trying? My contact list is synced and doesn't seem to be having problems.

Text messages, on the other hand, are a bit different. Honda's implementation of them are just awful. I believe the sender is just announced, not shown on screen for whatever. Their UI designer is awful and nothing looks good.

Like you, I'm crossing my fingers for Car Play.

3. fridaysruby thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have tried repairing the phone on numerous occasions and have even restored factory settings on the car to no avail. When I look at my call history on the phone, some entries have the contact name while most have just the number. Only once have I received a call where the name was displayed but there is no rhyme or reason to it. As for texts, I have only had a few texts from non-phone numbers (i.e. 73-442, 201-453) display the phone number but never the contact name. Strangely enough when I look at the inbox and not the message itself, it does show the contact. I'm at a loss of what to do/try next...