Missing Lightning Cable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wingnut8, Sep 21, 2012.

1. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Well I opened up my box to find I have no Lightning cable included. Now I have to drive an hour to my nearest Apple Store to get one.

I wonder if I'm the only one this happened to?

2. plex macrumors newbie

You're not the only one, same thing happened to me.
    White 16 GB without a lightning cable.

And to make things worse, there's no Apple Store around me. :(

Did you get one though?

3. sosinsurr macrumors regular

Even worse, neither the Apple Store or Best Buy have ANY accessories to sell yet. Which is total BS!

4. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I went to Bestbuy and picked up a case, the only accessories they had was a few cases and screen protectors.

I then went down stairs to the Apple store and picked up a spare lightning cable. They had a wall of them.

This was in the Mall of America in MN.

5. gkurcon macrumors newbie

I'm missing the cable as well. Pre-ordered the 16GB in black from Verizon and received it yesterday afternoon. Opened up the box and to my dismay there was no cable. Now think about this-this is a MAJOR inconvenience so all of us stuck in this situation really can't do anything with the phone. If we activate it, our old phone will be removed from our accounts and then we have an iPhone 5 that will probably last abour 7 or 8 hours with modest use. Then what? Wait a few weeks until the cable is available in stores?

In my case I called Verizon customer support, sat on hold for about 15 minutes while the rep looked into it and then she conferenced in an Apple rep. He then went on to process a "repair" order to have the cable shipped out to me. If you're close to an Apple store you might want to try to make an appointment with the Genius bar and bring in your phone with the box and other accessories and explain the situation to them.

Now in and of itself the whole notion that we would have to make an appointment to get a missing accessory for our new device is just rediculous. Each of us should be able to walk in to any Apple store, explain our plight, and walk out with the missing cable no questions asked. Apple, are you listening? I suspect you're about to get a lot more reports of this happening. The fact that you released a phone that has a newly redesigned cable that's necessary for charging, and you pretty much have none available in stores at launch is pretty poor business planning.

If you guys are as frustrated about this as I am, email Tim Cook: tcook@apple.com .

If any of you do manage to make it to the Apple store please let us know if they give you the cable. Even though they are shipping me a replacement I want to use my phone NOW, so I might just make the hour or so long trip to the nearest Apple store today.

6. plex macrumors newbie

@gkurcon:
    Well, that's nothing compared to my situation.

I'm with T-Mobile Germany and they won't send me the cable. Instead, they insist on sending the whole package back to exchange it, which could take several weeks, probably until new iPhones arrive. I'd rather pay the 20 bucks for the damn cable.

7. sosinsurr macrumors regular

My BB had cases from iFrogz and someone else, along with screen protectors. But that's it. Apple literally had NOTHING but the phones. Both Apple and BB said they hoped to have accessories in tomorrow. I wanted exactly what you got, an extra lightning cable for my car.

8. gkurcon macrumors newbie

@Plex-ouch! I'm in agreement with you, I was prepared to just buy the cable from another Verizon store or any other store yesterday but of course there are none to be had. I'm off to New Jersey to start my search...wish me luck!

9. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

I was in my local Apple store last night and they had plenty of Lightning cables for $19.

10. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Damn, I feel for you guys!

I know it won't get your cable right away, but I would phone Apple Care and see what they can offer you. Last iPad release, they pushed my order (pre order) back by 2-3 weeks and I phoned them and told them I could easily cancel my order and walk into any store selling Apple products and get one the same day.

I was merely expecting them to offer expedited shipping, which they did, and then they threw in the 45.00 cover I bought for free.

Good luck all.

11. wingnut8 thread starter macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I ended up driving up to my Apple store. They gave me a cable for free and I purchased another while I was there. I also emailed Tim Cook.

12. gkurcon macrumors newbie

Just got back from the store in the Rockaway Mall in NJ. Walked in and spoke to one of the employees at the front entrance, he grabbed a manager, they looked at the packaging without the cable went to the back of the store and came back with a cable and sent me on my way. It was a minor inconvenience that I had to spend two hours driving back and forth about 90 miles round trip but at least I can use my phone now! I just got an email notification saying that Apple shipped out my cable for delivery Monday as well. Guess I got an extra cable at no charge for my effort after all :cool:

13. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

With all the newbie posts in here, I'm gonna call BS on most of the people in here if not all.

14. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

The problem with just getting a cord no problem is how many people would take advantage of it to get a free cord by saying their box didn't have one when actually it had everything in there

15. gkurcon macrumors newbie

:rolleyes:

Give me a break. I had nothing better to do today than post a bogus story on MacRumors and drive 90 miles for a lousy cable.

Happy trolling, pal.

16. tsboy69 macrumors regular

Took a One on One this afternoon in Pasadena, Ca. Plenty of phones and hundreds of the USB/Lightning cables for $19. No sign of adaptors and no cases for the iPhone 5.

Good luck!

17. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Question for American iPhone 5 owners. Are the sims preinstalled already when you purchase from your cell provider? Because here in Canada, the sim package is separate from the phone. So if the sims are actually installed by the cell provider, why are you blaming Apple for the missing cable? Pretty obvious who is to blame.

18. Deako macrumors 6502

People are looking under the ear pods aren't they??

19. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

The SIM comes pre-installed from the manufacturer, so the cable is "lost" before the iPhone is shrinkwrapped at the factory.

20. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

What is wrong with apple!? They really have rushed things this time round.

21. wingnut8 thread starter macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Yeah man, this is my 4th iPhone. Totally making it up and lost it as soon as I pulled the instructions out.

22. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Yes, because this is clearly the scandal that's gonna bring Apple down...

23. nostresshere macrumors 68030

A million phones. Would expect a few. Not many as this, as that would be an easy QC process.

Maybe somebody stole some so they could sell them?

24. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Hmm that's disappointing. Just like how there are no car chargers available ;(

25. 1m4tr macrumors newbie

Anyone's iphone5 not charging when Lightening cable is inserted one way and charges when inserted the other way?