Missing Link Found?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sky Blue, May 19, 2009.

1. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...351315/Scientists-unveil-stunning-fossil.html

[​IMG]

Real? Fake? Planted by God for us to find?

More:
    http://www.revealingthelink.com/

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Is this a joke ? A skeleton with a long tail on it is a missing link ?

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Did you bother reading the link? It cites characteristics as nails instead of claws and opposable thumbs.

Edit: Also the talus bone.

I'd like to see a better explanation of the significance of this before getting riled up though.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There are plenty of transitional fossils already in the fossil record. This one will be ignored by the True Believers, and in every thread we have on evolution they will continue to screech "but why are there no transitional fossils then?".

Faith doesn't allow for new information. Any data that doesn't support the conclusion that God created the earth and all life on it (and that's a lot of data at this point) is discarded.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

After two years of study, I think it's safe to say that this is the real thing.

It'll be interesting to see what the fundamentalist religious fallout will be.

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Incredible. I hope it holds up to worldwide scrutiny over its authenticity.

Imagine being the guy who had it for all these years now seeing its universal significance.:eek:

Bet they'll be going over that lake with a fine tooth comb for many many years to come looking for another fossil like it.

7. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Agreed 100%.

Those who are die-hard creationists will never be swayed, no matter how much evidence is unearthed. It's all just a trick of the devil, or a test of their faith. Or the scientists are lying and making stuff up.

EDIT: For example, see below:

8. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Amazing. We find one specimen out of supposedly millions that it would take for us to evolve out of, and claim it is the missing link.

Its kinda like getting the Elephant Man's skeleton and proclaiming to Aliens that this skeleton is an accurate representation of the human race...

9. Sky Blue thread starter Guest

Sky Blue

[​IMG]

10. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

11. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

It is obvious that this is one of the creatures that starved to death on Noah's ark :rolleyes:

12. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Hey, I've got a great idea! Let's take a thread that is in no way about religion or faith and use it to bash a caricature of religious people and extend it to all people of faith, even those that don't believe in creationism! Yeah, that's way cool attacking people unprovoked like that! :rolleyes:

Where did faith enter this thread mactastic until you felt the need to crap all over it for no reason?

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I in no way extended this to "all people of faith". If the shoe fits, wear it by all means, but don't go around pretending to be all butt-hurt by twisting my words around and taking them as a blanket accusation against you -- particularly after you so grossly caricatured pro-choice folks as "just not getting it" in another thread.

Don't injure yourself dismounting that high horse you're on... :rolleyes:

14. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Ugh I can't even take anyone seriously with a signature like that.

15. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Where are the comments that bash "all people of faith"? I see references to religious fundamentalists, True Believers (what creationists like to call themselves in my experience - to contrast with those fakers who "believe" in evolution), and creationists.

Where in this thread was there an insult to ALL people of faith? Or a declaration that all people of faith endorse creationism?

16. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I smell a new Dan Brown novel, "Lepers and Lemurs.":D

17. Queso macrumors G4

I'd put money on Adam and Eve stroking one of these in the Creation Museum by September :D

18. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I believe it would be the following statement about the very concept of faith:

Faith doesn't allow for new information.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Now there are two new missing links in the fossil record. The evidence for evolution keeps going backwards :(.

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

macaddict,
    you are way too defensive on this.
    any reasonable and moderately educated person of faith, whatever that may be, should find no significant objection to the basic tenets of evolution, mostly due to the fact that there are none.

A lot of people of faith, including for example the catholic church, support evolution.

that said, the only people that -against all evidence to the contrary- support any of the various creationists ideas are fundamentalists and the most vocal are by far fundamentalist christians. Not just a "caricature of religious people", but real people who have somehow managed to paint themselves as the true representatives of christians in the US, even though they are just a minority.

21. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Evolutionists are just as guilty. Instead of looking at this fossil before making decisions they seem to have decided already that they will turn this into a 'missing link'. Everyone goes into every situation with preconceptions in mind that skew their perception of everything, but blaming it all on religious people is going to get us nowhere.

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Did the scientists actually do this? When and where was the fossil discovered? How long has the fossil been studied and by whom?

23. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

what does that even mean? they discovered it 25 years ago and it has been intensely studied for two years. how's that preconception?

and what exactly would be "evolutionists" 'as guilty' of?

24. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

There's no such thing as an evolutionist.