Mission Accomplished? Iraq combat ends this month

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/02/barack-obama-us-iraq-combat

Barack Obama declared today that he is on the brink of fulfilling a campaign promise to end US combat operations in Iraq – seven years after his predecessor's triumphalist pronouncement that the war was won and the mission accomplished.

Of course I doubt we will leave for a long time. hopefully this will not reclassify those lost after the date is passed

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Why do you doubt that?

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There's a cloud for every silver lining, isn't there?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Tremendous vacuum of power in Iraq now. When the last US troops leave, all out civil war beckons and Iraq may collapse in on itself.

5. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Without this class war, who will be their boogie man? Thats all they have...

We have no idea what will happen. you prediction is certainly possible but the war is draining the life out of this country....
    Im hoping for the best and expecting...

6. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Major ground combat by U.S. troops, plus a pullout of about 70,000 (most will now cycle through Afghanistan, vice Iraq). Not all troops are leaving Iraq by the way. Still going to have around 50,000 on teh ground.

P.S. Love how the OP used "The Guardian" to specify what is going on with U.S. troops. Might as well have posted from Al Jazeera.

7. Shivetya thread starter macrumors 65816

We are still in Korea, Japan, and Germany.

and how long has that been?

I would like us to leave Iraq permanently, the job is done, now lets get out.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What was the mission in Iraq? it changed so many times I forgot the correct one.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Let's get real, we don't leave places where we waged war. You do know we maintain a force of over 10,000 in Kuwait.

10. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Don't worry, Iraqis, we'll leave these friendly Blackwater Xe agents to keep Haliburton's oil assets you safe.

11. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Not a good comparison. Those countries want America there and in fact have voted several times to ensure they stay put. The U.S. puts a lot of money into their economies and in the case of Japan and Korea, supplement their armed forces, which means the JSDF and Korean Forces have to spend less on their own defense budgets.

On the flip side, U.S. forces were in the Phillipines and were asked to leave. They did and look at that country now. They will be asked to leave Iraq completely at some point (likely when the regime feels that they are secure enough not to be bullied by local thugs, militia and al-Qaida).

Most people only have a microscopic view of Iraq (pretty much from what they have seen on the news and read on the internet), but it is a very complex issue. So easy to say it's all about the oil, when in fact that is only a small part of the overall picture.

12. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

At last count I think there are somewhere around 1000 us military bases that are not in the US and its territories including Japan, Cuba, Germany, South Korea the list goes on and on. There are US military bases on 6 of the 7 continents the exception being Austrailia

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Pine Gap?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Gap

(not to mention Geraldton)

14. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

That is a rumor mill like the goings on at area 51 here, better references than Wikipedia are necessary more often than not, I wouldn't doubt there are American military personnel as guests of the Australian Government there--such a thing is not unheard of, but it's not likely ours. Even just Googling it the entire first page is filled with conspiracy nut web sites which is a lot to sift through for a grain of truth.

And doing the same search on the other you mentioned I see the same pattern of conspiracy nut web sites.

I am not saying that governments don't do plan or do bad things from time to time but I have my doubts as to the levels of such complex conspiracy as these cranks suggest--the reasons for most secrecy may be more stupid then these paranoid conspiracy theorists suspect.

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I've been to Pine Gap I can assure you it exists.Although getting close to it is difficult I have talked to locals who work there, the number of U.S. personnel (spooks and Air Force amongst others) is well known to the inhabitants of Alice.

16. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Probably does, I never said there was not a military base, but I question your perception of the goings on there. I've met my share of Area 51 visitors as well--it is a real place that's never been denied just that what happens there remains classified likely for simpler stupider reasons than the public possibly considers, and imaginations are allowed to go wild.

Of course I find it interesting that there are thousands of links full of conjecture about "secret bases" so if it is such a secret why didn't they relocate it away from a populated area or find some other way of covering up its existence? It is there right? Yah it's there they just don't tell people everything they do for normal military reasons I'm betting. Any military installation in any nation is like that--what do you expect to do? Say "Hello, I'd like to snoop through all your sensitive classified materials just because I am curious and paranoid"?

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Believe what you want it's fine by me.It is located in a remote area,however having that number of personnel means they travel to the nearest town for R+R and the people who live there aren't stupid and those that work there aren't as tight-lipped as they're supposed to be hence the secret base and it's purposes are not so secret. I also know because I worked in a similar installation at Weedons N.Z. (you won't find that one on Wikipedia) and know that Pine Gap is part of the U.S.'s world wide military communications network (including submarine comms), I was present when because of a local power cut and because I had the standby generator in pieces they lost contact with Pearl Harbour, I've never seen highly qualified U.S. air force people freak out in such a way in my life.

I am extremely pro-war under certain circumstances, but I fully support the immediate withdrawal of all US troops from Iraqi soil. My timetable would be even quicker than Obama's timetable for withdrawal, and I wouldn't leave thousands of troops behind to train the Iraqis either, like Obama would. Utter chaos will surely ensue once the Iraqis are left to their own primitive devices. There are far too many savage-minded religious zealots in that region of the world and since the current commander in chief is not fully committed to the cause, it is better to withdraw completely and immediately, since it is currently nothing but a huge money drain for US taxpayers and precious US lives should not be wasted on a senseless cause.

Even if US troops do withdraw from Iraq, they will be back in that neighborhood soon enough, as there are other issues which will have to be tended to in due time.

19. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

So this is about Obama? :confused:

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Everything he posts is about Obama or to stir up culture wars nonsense. I suggest either engage and point it out (like you did) or just make use of the ignore feature.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The ignore feature is better. ;)

Is he not the commander in chief? A commander in chief who can't possibly inspire much confidence in the troops, as his liberal views on the war are clear to all. Of course the troops should leave Iraq, especially because of the commander in chief.

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No. I guess not. Giving that speech at the Disabled American Veterans convention where George Bush did not speak for eight years is a terrible signal to send. The troops must despise him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You show two pictures from one photo-op event, and of course the people there are going to be polite to him, and I am not asserting that all of the troops do not like Obama.

There are numerous surveys which do show that many members of the military are wary of Obama. Here is one survey from 2009 carried out by the Military Times which shows that the majority of active military members feel uncertain or pessimistic about Obama.

More than half of active-duty U.S. service members feel uncertain or pessimistic about President-elect Obama as commander in chief, according to a Military Times survey.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/03/military-poll-finds-troops-wary-obama/

25. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Ah. No, the FoxNews article you've supplied was dated early Jan and was linked to a 2008 poll, taken over December 2008, before the administration had even formed, especially:

What's more:

I can't seem to find the December 2009 poll... and I suspect that any poll taken in December 2010 (with or without questionable methodology) on the same question will show different results.

Next! :D