mission control question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Fantatier, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Fantatier macrumors newbie

Hi,
    before upgrading i was a heavy spaces user.
    one thing i would constantly do is check out all my desktops and at the same time show all the windows in the different desktops.
    as so what i had
    now i cannot get similar behavior to work with mission control.

obviously i get to see all the windows of the current desktop displayed next to each other but all the other desktops as seen above the current one only show the windowlayout they have, not all the windows...
    so I want what i see in the main part here to also happen in the top thumbnails

oh and in the same category of question, can i make mission control show me all windows next to each other instead of trying to be smart and grouping them by application
    so i dont want this..

i hope one can understand what i mean and want...^^
    thanks so much for any help :)

2. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

When in Mission Control 3 fingers left/right swipe to navigate between desktops.
    Check in your trackpad preferences if the gesture is enabled.
    Not sure how that works with a magic mouse (let alone a classic mouse!) though.

3. Fantatier thread starter macrumors newbie

yea well i only have a magic mouse :p

i mean the amount of options for mission control is very shall we say underwhelming... i seriously hope i can achieve my desired behavior somehow...
    i sooo loved my spaces... its the first thing i really got into on my mac, and whenever i use a windows pc i miss it or try to use it by going into a corner :p

4. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Bummer...
    Gotta agree Lion is pretty much trackpad-centered.
    Anyhow, checks what's your mouse gesture to switch between full screen apps and use that under Mission Control. That should do the trick.

PS: I've quite using mice on Macs for 1 year. :p

5. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

I feel for you

I have in a number of places showed my disinterest towards mission control. I have made specific threads to put my word against this so called 'Abomination'. I have personally given feedback on AppleForums and bug-reports stating that MissionControl in itself is a bug.

But trust me, for some reason I feel this is right.

Previously:

- We were able to manage those spaces.
    - Transfer windows from any space if we were looking at that 2D space structure(as in your pic).
    - We knew the direction.

But that's all gone now.

What we have is:

- Nothing. No direction. No sense of where we belong. This IS Apple's intention.
    For elementary users and their usage, they shouldn't be bothered about where there window is and how do they manage it.
    For pros like us, they say deal with shortcuts. For me as I now regain and realise, I used to deal with shortcuts all the time when using Spaces. Spaces was just a support when I was looking for lost windows and stuff. That's all gone now.

- Xcode/BBEdit/Coda on Space1&2, I used to have Terminal on Space 3, Documentation on Space 4, Safari on Page5, iTunes,Video, etc on Space6, Extras on Space7&8, iChat, etc on Space9. But still, I can do all those things here as well. Its just that, I don't need to set them anymore. It's all operating systems's work through resume. I still use Cmd+Number to go to a particular space. It just works the same way.

- Previously I was bothered about the sense of direction. Now I'm not. It's just a change in the work style and people get used to it.

- As for transferring the windows, I don't feel the need for the most part. My setup is always there in front of me. Resume helps. ;)
    But if I'm starting a new safari session altogether, I am going to go to Space5 using Cmd+5 and start over there.(Space = Desktop) It's just the same way I used to do previously.

- What I cannot do?

*Transferring windows from Space 1 to Space 3 if I'm working on Space 4. I have to relocate. That's bad, but its a tradeoff.

*Dock Exposé: ****. Now that's a feature I used to use a hell lot of times, almost in all my workflows. I just feel sad that this is gone. I cannot understand why Apple did that. It could have easily worked with MissionControl in the same. If it would have bothered some people, just give it a rest and put an option in SystemPreferences so that the dedicated users don't miss out on certain things.
    But well, that's Apple for you.

6. Fantatier thread starter macrumors newbie

so its pretty much, stuff you and get used to the new it
    thats a real shame...:(

7. Fantatier thread starter macrumors newbie

one more thing though,
    lion still seems to know my preferences from spaces about what application to open in what space, but i would now like to change that/turn it off... but where?

8. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

No it is not. There are going to be millions of new users who don't have to learn anything different, just new. :)
    As for people who are pro-users, they just get used to it in a couple of days if they keep the geek-hate out of them.

Now that I see that MissionControl provides some great new things and usability, I am ready to accept it. I hope Apple develop more on it in the near future.

I'm not very sure I understand that. But I'll give it a try.

If the preferences remember your spaces preferences, you do the following:

Open a Terminal window and copy paste the following code line by line as I do:

Code:
    alias ls='ls'
    Code:
    ls ~/Library/Preferences/* | grep -i spaces | xargs -I {} -t mv {} {}.bkup
    Code:
    killall Finder
    After you have done that try using spaces and so on. I am pretty sure you're not going to see anything different, but try logging out and login and see if that changes anything.

9. GoKyu, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I have to say that I loved Spaces as they were in Snow Leopard, but now in Lion I do get enough of the basic control I had previously that I don't hate it so much anymore.

Don't get me wrong, if I could go back to SL-Spaces, I absolutely would, but I can still hit my click wheel to invoke Mission Control, and I now have 9 spaces across the top of the screen, similar to the 9 grid squares from before, and click into whichever space I need to go to.

I can also drag apps from one space to another, with a minor limitation that I can only drag an app out of the space I'm currently in, and not freely between other spaces, but I never did that very often anyway.

I can still constrain an app to a specific space, but it has to be done through the dock now - slightly different, but same effect.

And it looks like it DOES save your layout between reboots, which I find most important of all.

So although I'd rather have the old Spaces, I'm ok with this one - it still lets me fly between apps pretty seamlessly, so I'm glad I upgraded :)

You and I had extremely similar views on how messed up Mission Control was - what do you mean here by "I don't need to set them anymore."?

I absolutely still set certain apps to be in certain spaces, so I know exactly where I want to be. I've never been big on using command+number shortcuts, so I just have Mission Control set to open when I hit F8 (which is then assigned to the click wheel on my mouse) and I can then easily pick which space to click into.

I still prefer the old way a bit more because I don't have to run clear across to the other end of the screen, but that's a very minor point for the similar functionality I still have :)

10. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Amen to that and I particularly love the part I emphasized.
    As far as I'm concerned, I never liked spaces in Leopard/Snow Leopard, it felt clunky and awkward.
    The way it's implemented now in Lion & Mission Control, is making me reconsider. Much more intuitive and visual.