Missouri passes law preventing students and teachers from being Facebook friends

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Aug 3, 2011.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I guess our legislature has nothing better to do

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/269792/3/New-MO-law-bans-student-teacher-Facebook-friendships

I'm not a fan of this new law at all. Facebook wasn't around when I was in high school, but I could think of a few high school teachers I might have been friends with on Facebook (I'm friends with a couple now). It provides a good way for students and teachers to communicate and might make the teachers seem a bit more human to students.

Besides, if the intent of this law is to stop teachers from having sexual relationships with students, teachers have been ****ing students long before Facebook and they'll be ****ing them long after Facebook.

Thoughts?

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

What would happen if a student wanted to add a teacher from a previous year? One who the student isn't a student of anymore? :confused:

Eh, stupid law. Unless the teacher is doing/saying something completely inappropriate, and it gets brought into school, there is no reason for this. All wall-posts, chat logs, etc, are documented, just not monitored.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

:rolleyes:

Just more BS regulations for parents letting the state do their job.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree, this is BS. While I don't think teachers and students should be FB friends, I think passing these laws says that at any given moment a law could be passed dictating how much water we can drink or what time of day we need to get up. It is really that absurd.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can see the logic in it honestly. Teachers should not be Facebook friends with students and honestly should not be friends with students outside of school. It causes the lines to get blurred and they need to keep a professional separation.
    Problem is to many teachers do not do that and they post stuff on Facebook that lets face it students should not see. Or things from friends get posted and before it can be cleaned up students see it.
    This solves the problem of the bad teachers crossing the line and at the same token gives the others an easy excuse to say why they can not be friends.

6. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

The flip side to this is student-teacher communication. Apparently, a lot of kids in high school and middle school are eschewing email in favor of Facebook, and to a lesser extent, Twitter.

With the proliferation of cellphones, landlines aren't as common either. I know quite a few teachers who would rather communicate publicly on a social network than via a students' personal cellphone.

I think this is a bit of an overreaction. The decision to allow teachers to interact with students via FB should be left to the school district - or better yet, the individual school. I think local administrators would have a better idea of how their student body community would benefit from this type of communication.

Also, are inappropriate student teacher relations via social networking sites a problem?

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pretty much the only thing America does well lately.

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Surely if the aim is to protect children from sexual abuse they'd be better off trying to stop or at least monitor communications between family members and children?

9. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Or clergy and children ;)

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I honestly think it is more than that. I think part of it is to protect schools and teachers from being accused of it. Hell I think that is a larger part of it. Plus it gives school districts an easy figure to point to if any of their teachers complain about it saying state law not our problem.

This in my eyes seeing as making those professional lines much more clear for teachers instead of how they have started to get blurred in this age of social networking.

No teacher should be friends with their students on Facebook until they are out of HS. It has professional issues all over it.

Hell knowing a lot of teachers this is not a law to "protect children" but instead a law to protect other teachers from saying things about other teachers that students should not be part of and even know about the inner school politics.
    It to stop the people who crossed the unprofessional line from doing it and gives districts a much stronger weapon solve the problem.

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I have no problem with this. If teachers and students are not friends on facebook, then a teacher should not be subject to discipline or firing for anything posted on their facebook.

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

On the other hand, there was a group on Facebook that a few students joined, with the title "Mrs. ____ is a b****". Now, once the school found out, everybody that had joined that group was suspended for a day... :confused::confused:

It's not like anybody in that group was friends with that teacher (That teacher didn't even have a facebook...).

The next year, I had that teacher. Yes, she is exactly what the title of the group said.

13. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

A school can create a professional facebook page so students and teachers can communicate that way. There is absolutely no need for a teacher's personal facebook page to be used to communicate to the student--its completely inappropriate.

The problem is that teachers, like many people, can have poor judgement with regard to their personal and professional lives intersecting on sites like facebook. When you've got a 17 year old HS student and a 23 year old teacher who bascially share many of the same interests -- things can get blurry in a way that can harm both the student and the teacher.

However, this shouldn't be a law, but rather a school policy.

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

This is exactly my position on it.

I do have a friend who is a high school drama teacher, and he uses his facebook to announce rehearsals, performances, etc...presumably to students who are his friend on FB. He knows that this is a way they will all get the information immediately, rather than just posting something in the school in hopes that someone happens to check. He's also used this during off-days like big snowstorms to get information out immediately. I don't think he uses his FB for much else that I have seen. I see that as a useful way for a teacher to communicate...but maybe they could/should have a separate page from their personal page.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Incorrect use for the teacher. Twitter would be much better and even the he should have a school twitter and his personal one and keep them separate.

17. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I am friends with many teachers/professors and I am glad I am. They were a significant part of my life, the core of my education and they are great folk. If they don't like facebook, I'll just befriend them on Google+ :D

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now where is the law that no one over the age of 25 should be posting drunk night out pictures of him or herself on Facebook?

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Letting??

The State is in family life up to their damn armpits.

Parents no long have any say about raising their children as they see fit.

And I am not talking about Child Abuse. The States control goes much beyond that already.

20. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I agree with this ... Teachers and Students should not be friends on FB.

being friends with a student serves no logical purpose

21. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm friends with several past teachers, but befriending a current teach just seems awkward.

'I didn't do my homework. I had a family emergency.'

'Is that where those crazy pics from last night came from?'

22. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I can understand why is shouldn't be permitted and written into some kind of "Code of Conduct" document, but illegal? Really? What would the punishment be, a fine, jail time?

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Chances are it would not have much of a punishment but would give school districts a lot more power in dealing with the issue of teachers doing it and it makes it really clear it should not be done

24. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I've used Facebook to get help from a teacher.

25. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

They should their nickname from "The show me state" to "The nanny state". The next Missouri law up for vote is that people must eat their vegetables.

Punishment will be a stern lecture, because a severe scolding would be overly traumatic. This would violate a persons rights to not have their feeling hurt.