Missouri's House passes bill banning abortions at 8 weeks of pregnancy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 17, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Thee more States that do this the more I think the Supreme Court will have no choice but to act. I’m still skeptical they will do anything before the 2020 election.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Are these states afraid that people will claim rape or incest to have an abortion? Why else would they exclude those two important factors?

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

They exclude it because they don’t believe circumstance should dictate whether it’s a human being or not. I agree though that’s not where most of the public is so I would support making an exception for those instances for now while working to change hearts and minds. Those situations are rare. I suppose the concern is women lying about being raped.

4. appleisking macrumors 6502a

If you believe life begins at conception. And therefore believe that abortion is murder why would you make exceptions for when murder is ok?

5. Altis macrumors 68030

If they're prohibiting it on the grounds that it's killing a human being, then neither of those factors have any effect on that condition.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Because if you want to argue the central tenant of Roe which is when life begins, you have to exclude those for the sake of the impending legal battle.

7. Crowbot macrumors regular

Crowbot

Missouri is a Death Penalty state so their concern for life is not absolute.

8. LordVic macrumors 603

more bible belt backwards counties using religious purposes to try and dictate to the rest of the population how to live their lives.

sometimes it's hard to remember that we're supposedly talking about american states, where "freedom" is supposed to be paramount, and not talking about some backwater dictatorship.

9. raqball macrumors 68000

Keep em coming, have a liberal justice retiree and add Barrett... Bye, bye Roe! :)

10. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I love how liberals equate murder as freedom. How would you like it if your mother had chosen to abort you?

11. raqball macrumors 68000

When it suits them... Only when it suits them.....

12. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Yes because the taking of an innocent human being is the same as taking the life of someone who committed heinous crime. I don’t consider myself a supporter of the death penalty but comparing it to abortion is absurd.

13. LordVic macrumors 603

if my mother chose to abort me I wouldn't be here to post and respond to you... so, this is a silly comment that has no basis in reality.

I also need to remind you to drop the "Liberal" attempt of bias. "murder as freedom" can be thrown at any group, INCLUDING libertarian/Republican parties who push for more guns and use of deadly force as enforcement of freedom.

there are argumentts to be had about pro/cons of abortion. Resorting to ad hominem attacks "hur dur liberals", shows you don't hvae a firm grasp on any of them and are responding out of emotion than any factual argument.

14. Altis macrumors 68030

I don't appreciate having religion implemented as law, either. However, when it comes to issues of morality, there is simply no authority. You and I saying what should be considered right and wrong for our own reasons is the same as a religious person doing it for their religious views.

You aren't free to own slaves, avoid taxes, harm kids (or anyone), harm animals, or if it's up to 'progressives', express certain political or personal views. I don't see why you would think that this would be any different or that suddenly it's about "freedom."

15. appleisking macrumors 6502a

What if the person is innocent though. There’s no guarantee the person is guilty. And there are innocent people who are executed.
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2019 ---
    I’d be careful blaming this on religion. We don’t have laws against murder because of religion after all.

16. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Someone on my Instagram feed said how come people who don’t think gun laws prevent gun violence think abortion laws will prevent abortion. What a moronic question. There is no right to abortion in the constitution. Do these same people think nothing should be illegal? Should we not have laws against murder because some people will still commit murder?

17. Crowbot macrumors regular

Crowbot

Why? In your view the difference apparently is "innocence". There are numerous cases where people are on Death Row who were later found to be innocent. Some merely spent decades in prison. Some were executed. Can you give them their lives back? Then don't be so quick to judge "innocence".

My point was that if Missouri cared for life so much they would abolish the death penalty too.

18. LordVic macrumors 603

I agree with that. Hence my opinion on the matter is that when it's down to purely a moral decision, than it is better left tot he individual to decide. Not the state to dictate that morality based on one religious principle.

Most of these current anti-abortion laws that are being rammed through in the Bible belt are being done to appease religious voters at the expense of individual rights. I can hate on abortions all i want, but it's irrelevant as it is not me nor my body.

It comes down to societal safety. Rules and laws that potentially violate individuals rights need to be weighed for the good or harm they cause society as a whole, and should be only implemented in cases of public safety.

Where public safety is not a concern, Individual freedoms should prevail.

19. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

That’s why I said I’m not really a supporter of the death penalty. And many who were are now changing their minds. Still I don’t think it can be compared to abortion.

20. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

They wouldn't care, because they would not be here to be able to contemplate what life is?

Always one of the stupidest questions asked in these arguments.

21. LordVic macrumors 603

Fair. Maybe a little overzealous on religious part. But while there are laws on "murder", there is legal allowances for certain instances of "murder".

For example, self defense is essentially "Murder"... but we allow it. So even in the case of ending someone elses life, we provide leeways.

22. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Disagree
    true but I can just as easily argue that’s why these new abortion laws allow exceptions for when mothers life is in danger

23. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Another group of Republicans trying to force their religious beliefs on people.

As I keep saying, evangelicals are no different than Muslim extremists. This is just the beginning of “conversion by the sword”.

24. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

This isn’t about religion. It’s about science.

25. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Really? What science is that? I’m dying to hear this.