Missouri's New Theocratic Religious 'Freedom" Bill.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleguy123, Mar 19, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

What the hell! Who in their right mind would pass a bill that allows students to opt out of assignments that violate their religious beliefs? Pakistan? I'm sure that my creationist Biology teacher will use this to his advantage. :(
    Source http://www.atheistunderworld.com/2011/03/15/missouri-religious-freedom-amendment/

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Religious conservatives are going for it. True stripes are being revealed around the country. The question is will anyone do anything about it or just mutter "oh well"?

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

My question is is there any room any longer for fiscally conservative morally liberal people? I've always identified myself as a conservative, but I am going to change that if this American theocracy movement doesn't halt in the right wing.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How long until a student sues because doing math problems are against his religious beliefs?

That's the problem with these laws. I can make up my own, wacky religious beliefs and claim what I'm doing in school violates it, and who can question my religious beliefs? The second they allow a Christian to opt out of biology and tell a student who believes in the Church of Math Sucks that he can't opt out of trigonometry, the government is establishing religion and violating the first amendment. Sure, the Church of Math Sucks might have one member in it, no physical place of worship, and a deity named John 'Bluto' Blutarsky, but the government can't claim that Christianity is any more legit.

5. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

You know good and well that that is exactly what many in the religious right want to do. Are you ready for the Christian theocracy?

6. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

These laws should give my children the upper hand in 15 years when they enter the work force. I say go for it. My kids will most certainly be doing their homework.

7. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am not sure what to make of this bill. Theory behind it I think is find for I can think of quite a few possible assignments and material that go against religious beliefs. I am not talking about science or things like that but other things. For example you have jehovah's witnesses. Or you have some teachers who have entire sections on dragons using it for writing concepts and requiring things to be on dragons.

Now most teachers are very willing to work with religious beliefs and modify their lessons to account for it if told ahead of time but you do have that handful that are just well going to say no.

The problem with this law is I can see it being abused mostly in the realm of science and history that is an issue.

9. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I never even thought about history. How could one teach about Egypt when some of his students believe that the entire world was created after the egyptians?

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

history wise I was thinking more along the lines of dinos, Ice age stuff. You have the young earth people that do not believe the earth is older than 6-7k years. This means that the last Ice Age never happen. Or the Big bang.

Either way I was just pointing out an example of were religious beliefs can run into problems with school that has nothing to do with science or history.

I do not think anyone here would have an issue with a student refusing to do an assignment on dragons based on religious beliefs.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It would be ridiculous for them not to do the assignment, yes.

12. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I remember way back in high school we had a math test and for one of the questions a friend of mine had put down "This question is against my religious beliefs" and left it otherwise blank. The teacher drew a smiley face and gave him zero points. I guess now he would have gotten full marks.

13. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

+1
    I don't think that ones private religious beliefs should have any more effect on the assignments they are required to do than a general dislike of a subject like math.