MIT professor debunks evidence of source of sarin gas attack

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Apr 16, 2017.

1. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

2. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

3. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Don't know who that is. No shortage of fact seeking government haters out there right now…except on the mainstream media, and none from either side on military action. Soon as somebody attempts it they are ignored or shut down.

4. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

The only shortage is in truth. I believe Savage is yet another talk show host.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

When the attack was initially reported I posted that it could be propaganda. But as the days wore on, more and more sources seemed to corroborate it's authenticity, and I began to believe my initial suspicions were a product of my cynicism and paranoia.

But I'm not about to jump back on the propaganda bandwagon just because some MIT professor does an interview for Russian Television (no agenda there). I'm afraid I'm going into full mistrust mode. I'll wait for some disinterested, trustworthy bodies to conduct a few thorough investigations, and see what they come up with.

Until that happens ... I trust no one.

6. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Agreed, I haven't trusted authority since Colin Powell's 2003 speech.
    Still awaiting any sort of evidence of Assad involvement. Not just Deep State's word that it exists.
    Off topic: how about this for a conspiracy theory, hope there is never any evidence.
    http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13950631000607

7. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Correct. He has a degree in biology, botany, anthropology an a Ph.d in nutritional ethnomedicine (think ayurvedic, otherwise known as useless). Theodore Postol, the professor he mentions, has an undergrad in physics and a Ph.d in nuclear engineering. Though even I'm at a loss as to how that makes him an expert on biological weapons.

8. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

But, but,... MIT!
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2017 ---
    Or, you know, just looking at his record. He's been barrel bombing civilians for years.

9. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Everyone has been bombing civilians for years. Please do not mistake this observation for approval.

10. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

My bad, I meant targeting.

11. sorcery, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017

sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

This may be true. Or not. Inside Syria, according to a Syrian friend, now resident in Dubai, but with his parents still in Damascus, the Syrian forces have the reputation of protecting civilians, while being harsh on terrorists, rebels and dissidents. Outside Syria our propaganda machine says otherwise. But I no longer know who to believe. Certainly not western governments or their MSM pets. Perhaps no-one tells the truth.
    Re targeting : https://consortiumnews.com/2017/04/17/through-the-war-on-terror-looking-glass/

12. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

A recent HBO Syria documentary seemed to lean heavily on Assad killing a lot of civilians. I was kind of surprised, but I don’t know if HBO has an agenda on this.

Whenever there is a debate on the news on something as serious as war, poverty, or healthcare I think they should put a little info graphic under each pendant showing who and what benefits from their viewpoint.

13. jerwin macrumors 65816

who is this "they" you speak of?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2017 ---
    Submit to our unjust rule, or we'll change your status from "civilian" to "dissident."

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Ok so let us review:

1. Syria is not Iraq. However, Iraq did have WMD and used them ahginst the Kurds. They were in technical violation of UN resolutions by failing to destroy all of them (not manufacturing new ones as the US and others claimed).
    2. Syria did have WMD, the nature of which were verified. Supposedly Syria handed all of these WMD over for destruction, but we cannot be certain.
    3. Sure it is possible that the apparent attack was staged, or that it was actually a form of poisoning not associated with weapons. However, imagining there is some sort of Western conspiracy to create this situation really falls foul of Occum's Razor. The simplest explanation is that Assad did this in revenge for the attack on Damascus.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Occum's Razor should never be applied in any geopolitical shindig given the propaganda efforts from all sides, of which in Syria there are least a dozen....

16. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I think one would be more surprised if a documentary about Syria was made, and Assad's killing of civilians was NOT included. It's kind of his thing [ https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...06ea7fb80d4_story.html?utm_term=.de8dff482071 ], and it's made him the flashpoint he is.

Also considering the one's involved in the making, someone who is involved in Syria, that whole 'killing a lot of civilians' thing was bound to come up.

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/12/51992...ry-lays-bare-the-conflicts-gruesome-realities

One would be able to argue if a focus wasn't put on Assad, that the doc would have an agenda as well.

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It should, but appropriate caution should be used in the face of lack of evidence. I think Trump should have waited for an investigation, or at lest until there was evidence another attack was being prepared. The sabre-rattling, of course, could have gone on before that as a warning.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well yea, getting the results of an actual investigation would maybe make this act of aggression a bit less of a war crime?

Occam's Razor being applied in any situation where intelligence agencies are working (on all sides) is foolish, at best.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The problem with not applying Occam's Razor is that you end up with 'narratives' like 9/11 was a false-flag operation.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Occam's razor, where no evidence is present, will give you the same end result.

All applying it in this instance devolves into is "Grunt, Assad evil, grunt, clearly he did this attack, grunt, can't wait for evidence and will instead rely on years of conflicting narratives".

21. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I think the fact that the first responders were wearing like zero protective gear tells you in wasn't sarin gas. This whole situation stinks to high heaven.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly, which isn't to say the videos from the scene point to any particular narrative, but CERTAINLY pokes a big ****ing hole in the one our leaders keep proclaiming currently.

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

The whole thing is nasty. I'm at my saturation point with this BS.

24. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I'm against escalating the US role in Syria, but it isn't hard to believe that Assad really did use Sarin. Lots of the arguments some are using to claim holes in the official story have been debunked, too http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/syria-gas-attack-false-flag_uk_58e5e0f6e4b06a4cb30f2fe1

As for the first responders wearing inadequate gear: