Mitch McConnell Calls to Cut Social Security, Medicare

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Gee, great timing there Cocaine Mitch. Just three weeks away from the Midterm elections….

Mitch McConnell Calls to Cut Social Security, Medicare

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Yep. Let's increase our deficit through poor spending and budgeting and then blame these programs for the deficit.

Shameless

3. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

The beatings shall continue until moral improves!!

4. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Holy crap, isn't this at it's basic roots the type of crap that started the French revolution? The posh elite just taking more and more from the working class.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This is my fear. The rich just do not understand the limits of sustainability, and as chaos comes closer and closer, they'll hold on harder to their wealth and privilege until it all slips away in an orgy of violence. I just hope the angry mobs don't bring back the guillotine.

6. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I’d like to opt-out of social security altogether and keep the money that goes towards it on my paychecks. I know how to save efficientlily for retirement.

7. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

The only surprise is he actually stated his intent. But that’s been their goal for years. Supposedly, no congressman wants to be responsible for cutting SS. We shall see. We all know they will blame the Democrats anyway.

8. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Well, as much as those programs are sacred cows....it’s more than fair to at least pick on Medicaid a bit. It is extremely bloated, abused, and somewhat out of control. The entire health care system milks the Medicaid program for everything they can. It’s a racket. It sucks because so many dollars get sucked up by the BS that people that truly need the care can struggle to get it. Medicaid has more suspect billing than a mafia card game payout sheet.

I don’t want to see important programs that we ALL pay into get hacked but they could start with cutting waste and fraud. Of course, the govt never addresses these things.

9. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Actually, I have my knitting ready for when they put up a guillotine in Trafalgar Square.
    Heads need to roll…

10. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Okay .. but what exactly does SMM define as "cuts"?
    • Current folks receiving SS?
    • Close to getting benefits?
    • Future folks who will be eligible for benefits?
    • Amount we pay in?
    • Age you can receive 100% benefits?
    What exactly?

11. eatrains macrumors 6502

I'm sure the GOP voter base will be grandfathered in, no problem.

12. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

That leaves everyone else exactly where? Hence my question ... ;)

13. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

While I recognise that there are going to have to be cuts to SS, Medicaid and Medicare, if we are going to be serious about getting the deficit, debt and spending under control, I cannot take him (or any other Republican) seriously until they also put the military on the table for cuts, too. Until that is done, they are just pissing around the matter and showing us that they are not serious.

14. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I'm all for the guillotine.

15. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Believe it or not, the neoconservative (and eventually anti-Trump) editor-at-large of The Weekly Standard, Bill Kristol, was talking about this a long, long time ago. Something about DC pols spending way too much time over lunch at The Palm while the streets outside were redolent of people sensing they'd been told to eat cake if short of bread, etc.

But predictably enough, pols of neither party listened because it was just a pundit talking. That it was not a left-leaning pundit seemed to have escaped the Republicans entirely. Democrats who noticed just rolled their eyes, figuring surely Bill Kristol must have engaged in his share of said lunches at The Palm from time to time.

And what does it matter: all the pundits' warnings fall on deaf ears. What makes noise that the pols listen to is the sound of money falling out of trees behind the fences that even the courts are now starting to uphold with better predictability for the owners of capital. Of course it's not sustainable. No problem. It just has to hold up through the end of this quarter, or until after the IPO, or the bonus. And then certainly something should be done to make things work better for everyone. Just not right now when so much is at stake...

Honestly I don't see how it doesn't end up with "no wall high enough" in the end. The 1% (or is it the 0.1% now?) are willfully oblivious to the warning signs. They're focused on winning. Next election, next bidding war, next trip to SCOTUS. They leave the actual overconsumption to the new money, the new mere millionaires. For the super wealthy it's about nondisclosure and layers on layers of insulation, as if that signifies immunity to eventual violation by the simply hungry.

Our policy... overall domestic policy in the USA... is controlled by oligarchs and is starting to look distinctly like one of scorched earth: leave nothing of value behind.

And McConnell wants to get rid of Social Security (since privatizing it was a no sale gig even to the saner members of his own party)? Of course he does. He brings it up now in case the Democrats sweep the House. There it is, the idea ready to be laid on the table for the 116th Congress:

"We told you Social Security spending was disastrous, now you must cut it."

Et voila, because Mitch McConnell said so, suddenly the unfunded nature of the tax cut vanishes and the entirety of the deficit becomes social contract spending which the Democratic Party (presumed victors?) must propose to reduce or face another clean sweep by the GOP in 2020. Nice looking tactic, again, but the strategy grows more unsound each time it's rolled out. For one thing, the GOP electorate is shredded.

Thanks Mitch. Don't let the door hit you in the coattails on your way into the history books. Don't forget that who writes any "history" worth more than wrapping fish in tomorrow is the historian with the long view back. Such a view will not be kind to the majority leaders of the 115th Congress.

The question is whether we'll be around for a long view of anything, or whether the Trump administration and the GOP he hijacked will have made that moot by its short term focus on ripping off everything not nailed down in this one last big grab before losing power forever.

16. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Those are the first people that should be cut off. They should have worked harder.

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I love Bill Kristol. I hate Mitch McConnell.

Mitch truly doesn't get it. He does not understand people who have to work for a living.

18. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Starve The Beast in action. Instead we need to feed the gluttonous Military Industrial Complex. Got the picture yet? :oops:
    --- Post Merged, Oct 17, 2018 ---
    The thing is we need to nip this instead of going through a revolution. :(

19. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Is this a cut to the overall amount or a cut to the standard yearly increase?

Did seethat PDT was asking for 5% cut across the board ... would be nice.

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Throw the bum(s) out.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Consider, what was the value of your portfolio in 2006? What was the value of your portfolio in 2016? Extrapolate that risk over 40 years, now divide by people keeping the money and spending it.
    That's why you can't opt out.

22. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Funny, I was just telling my son the same thing.

Anyway, Mitch wants to see how close he can get his hand to the third rail without getting fried, let him, I never did like the guy anyway.

2 things need to be done, 1 Medicare needs to be able to negotiate price on prescription drugs, and 2 the max taxable amount of income for SS needs to be raised to better fund the program.

23. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

More to the point, the reason you can't opt out (i.e. the reason the law doesn't, for the most part, allow that) is that Social Security isn't an individualized (but government run) retirement savings program as some like to think of it. It is a present day wealth transfer program, with a (breakable, somewhat tacit) promise that someday those currently doing the paying will get to be those doing the receiving.

People aren't paying into some sort of account from which they will later receive benefits. They are paying taxes which are used to fund current benefits payments to others. The separate accounting and applicable rates aside, Social Security taxes aren't all that different than the other taxes we pay which are used to fund other government programs. We can't opt out of paying the taxes which are used to fund Medicaid or other entitlements. If we could, those programs wouldn't have funding. We pay taxes and the government uses the funds to do all kinds of stuff, to include paying benefits to older retired people who may or may not really need them. And, technically, our eligibility to receive Social Security benefits isn't even based on our having previously paid Social Security taxes. It is based on our having previously been employed. That is to say, the idea is that we were once productive and contributed to our nation's economy, so that economy in return helps us when we are in retirement.

I don't say any of that in support of the Social Security program or in opposition to people being able to opt out of it. I generally oppose the program; I think it goes well beyond the functions that governments ought to perform. But people can't, for the most part, opt out of it because the taxes on current workers are needed to pay benefits to current retirees. That is, essentially, how it has always worked.

24. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

If you invest wisely, that’s not an issue.

25. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Why should entire sections of the population have to be workers AND money managers just to have a dignified life after work?