Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR FQ-400

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
Official Mitsubishi production car!
405bhp
202bhp per litre!! :eek: :D
0-60 in 3.5 seconds
175mph
4WD
4 seats
Comedy name

Made In The UK (and Japan)
+ 3 years/36,000 mile manufacturers warranty! (you'll probably need it) :p

either way, still my favourite tarmac terrorist! since having sampled the Evo 6 around Soho Square back in 2000!! :eek: :D

Now I wonder what this puppy would do around the Top Gear test track in the hands of the Stig?? :D speaking of the Stig... the Enzo is on Top Gear tomorrow night!! :D

http://www.carpages.co.uk/mitsubishi/mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_viii_mr_fq-400_27_10_04.asp
 

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
Abstract said:
Um.....how is that possible when people already make such a big deal when a car comes out that's 100 hp/litre? S2000, anyone?
they've turned up the boooosssssstttttttttt!!! :D

the S2000, like the M3 or new RS4 are both naturally aspirated (no superchargers or turbos) and generally 100bhp/litre is the benchmark for such an engine, it's easier to increase bhp if you have for example say a turbo, it's not quite as easier as just turning up the boost as that leads to other issues but essentially that is what you do.

Either way, 405bhp from a 2 litre is f**kin' dynamite in a car with 3 year/36,000 mile warranty!! :eek: :D
 

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
4,715
4
London, England
Hmmm, do the phrases "dead in a week" and "upside-down in a ditch" mean anything to you people. :D

The old WRC Lancer was a handful but very rewarding to drive, the new one is going to have to go some to be as much fun to drive.
 

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
1,613
0
mmm another nice car and i bet it is fq like the name states. i love the top gear and i bet it will do very well. so pleased it is the new series!
 

andym172

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
335
3
UK
Knowing Mitsubishi it'll require servicing every 1000 miles and a new gearbox every 1500 (not covered under warranty :D) :)

Bloody impressive though - how long until these are available for £20k ish?!

Having had a ride in a (true UK) 450bhp Evo 6.5 I can tell you that they do absolutely fly. Petrol consumption is 'impressive' ;)
 

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
1,862
0
japan
I wouldn't mind a Lancer, though I've always been partial to EvoIV ;)




Sorry to rain on the parade, but what happens after Mitsu goes out of business in April 2007? Will Mitsubishi in the US keep going?
 

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
andym172 said:
Knowing Mitsubishi it'll require servicing every 1000 miles and a new gearbox every 1500 (not covered under warranty :D) :)
hahahahaha... they do have short intervals don't they!! :eek: :p

It's the same (or was) with Subaru's, every year they used to come top in the satisfaction and reliabilty surveys... but that's only because they had to have a major service every other week!! :p


Counterfit said:
Pff, warranties are for computers and appliances
aha... but Mitsubishi Warranties cover track use!! ;) :D


evoluzione said:
now *that* would beat my (dream) integrale evoluzione
I reckon a standard Lancer Evolution 8 would probably take the Intergrale... it just wouldn't do it with as much style that's all! ;)
 

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
evoluzione said:
right on ;) i'd still take my "holy 'grale" over a "standard" lancer evo any day, but an fq400, that would get me thinking....
the thing with the Integrale is that if you own one... you ARE an undoubted connoisseur of the very finest cars, and you can pull up outside of any of the finest Hotels or Casino's from here to Monaco and it won't look out of place parked next to the best vintage from Italy ;) you can't exactly pull that off with ANY Lancer Evolution, no matter how good the actual car is.

but I bet that FQ 400 is a right f'in larf down a country lane... :eek: :D :p
 

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
iGAV said:
hahahahaha... they do have short intervals don't they!! :eek: :p

It's the same (or was) with Subaru's, every year they used to come top in the satisfaction and reliabilty surveys... but that's only because they had to have a major service every other week!! :p
Unless their reliability is worse in the UK than in the US, Subarus don't require any extreme servicing. I've only changed the oil every 3000 miles or so, and had a 15,000 mile check up on my 2002 WRX and so far it's had a perfect reliability record (it's almost to 30,000 miles).

Anyway, the Lancer sounds fast, but at £46,999 I think I'd choose a different car.
 

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
oaklandbum said:
Unless their reliability is worse in the UK than in the US, Subarus don't require any extreme servicing. I've only changed the oil every 3000 miles or so, and had a 15,000 mile check up on my 2002 WRX and so far it's had a perfect reliability record (it's almost to 30,000 miles).
I think they were 10,000 miles here for the major service, although they upped that when other manufacturers were bumping it up to 18k to 20k!!

I was taking the pi$$ to a degree though... ;) their record over here is 2nd to none, it's just that their service intervals were quite close together in comparison to other manufacturers... Subaru UK argued that it was because 'their vehicles were of high performance' and needed to be maintained well!!

30k eh'!! still enjoying that Scooby then I see!! ;) :D
 

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
iGAV said:
I think they were 10,000 miles here for the major service, although they upped that when other manufacturers were bumping it up to 18k to 20k!!

I was taking the pi$$ to a degree though... ;) their record over here is 2nd to none, it's just that their service intervals were quite close together in comparison to other manufacturers... Subaru UK argued that it was because 'their vehicles were of high performance' and needed to be maintained well!!

30k eh'!! still enjoying that Scooby then I see!! ;) :D
Well every 10,000 miles seems a bit excessive. 15,000 or 20,000 seems more reasonable. And I love my WRX, every time I get in it, I still think I made the right decision in purchasing it. Though if something bad happens after I've driven another 6,000 miles I'll be very upset :eek:
 

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
657
0
The Ocean Floor
top gear just finished, did you hear them mention it? they reckoned that it would have to go in for a service every 4500!!! crazy!

also did you see the enzo? and the funny pink floyd gag with the book?lol :D

ooooh that f40 was nice, always my fav toy when i was a kid. (obviously not the real one but a toy one i had!)
I'd love to bomb it around it supercars all day like they do on top gear :(
 

andym172

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
335
3
UK
Top Gear was pretty good this week :)
Shame they didn't test them all round the track.

I'd bet my right bollock that the FQ-400 would go from A to B quicker than every supercar shown if it the route involved single track twisty roads.
 

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
stevehaslip said:
also did you see the enzo?
oh yes... :D to be .8 quicker than a Carrera GT around a relatively short circuit is damn impressive! :D and I don't think the Stig was hanging it out as much as he could either... :eek: it looked planted all the way around though didn't it... :D

I reckon that the Enzo might just have a chance at beating the Radical's record lap of the 'Ring of 7mins 19 seconds, Walter Rohl in the Carrera GT has unofficially notched up a lap in 7 minutes 25, and the Enzo is so MUCH faster... so over a 12.8 mile lap it's conceivable that the Enzo would take it and possibly by quite a margin!


andym172 said:
Shame they didn't test them all round the track.
I was thinking that as well... I'd have liked to have seen what time the F40 would've done... maybe in the 1.20's or early 1.21's. And also to see how slow the McLaren is and finally put to rest the silly notion that it's still the fastest production road car. ;)
 

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
657
0
The Ocean Floor
iGAV said:
oh yes... :D to be .8 quicker than a Carrera GT around a relatively short circuit is damn impressive! :D and I don't think the Stig was hanging it out as much as he could either... :eek: it looked planted all the way around though didn't it... :D

I reckon that the Enzo might just have a chance at beating the Radical's record lap of the 'Ring of 7mins 19 seconds, Walter Rohl in the Carrera GT has unofficially notched up a lap in 7 minutes 25, and the Enzo is so MUCH faster... so over a 12.8 mile lap it's conceivable that the Enzo would take it and possibly by quite a margin!




I was thinking that as well... I'd have liked to have seen what time the F40 would've done... maybe in the 1.20's or early 1.21's. And also to see how slow the McLaren is and finally put to rest the silly notion that it's still the fastest production road car. ;)
You know stiggy didn't go all out because there are so few of the cars in existance! How much trouble would they have been in if they had filled the massive air intakes with grass or scuffing the beautiful paintwork! They would have been in serious trouble with the drummer from pink floyd (whos name i can't remember) and also with ferrari! Ferrari might have thought twice about lending them a car to test when the next oportunity comes round.
It was still wicked though!